View Single Post
Old 24-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Two years ago, my Singapore dealer told me that the SMSA (Singepore Motor Sport Association) decided to ban water injection on the very popular "Saturday night drag racing".

The reason was due to a few competitor compliant that the WI injected car has some "perceived" advantage over their machine. The compliants were upheld and WI is still being banned up to today. Fuel dumping is widespread now.

Same thing has happened on GT cars a few years earlier - We were supplying two teams.

Now is the WRC's turn - I don't yet know the reason, but I will find out.

If you are into Rallycars, remember the early years before water injection was used, every car shoots 6-foot flames out of the exhuast during each gear change - it was not a pretty sight. Since Ford homologated a bunch of Water Injected rally car in 1992 (2.500), all other teams soon followed. By 1997, all WRC (except Mitsubishi) has internal WI.

From that year onwards, no more 6-foot flames and all car runs clean and became "leaner and meaner". It appears that history is repeating itself again but when WI is "allowed" again in a few years time, we might have moved on and they need to find a new supplier.