View Single Post
Old 13-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
Could it be that fuel atomisation is degraded at high boost levels, so running richer mask this up?
I'm just speculating here (wildly!), but if boost pressure were very high, maybe some of the air would be moving too fast for the fuel to spread so we end up with rich layers and pure air layers.

Running richer might help shift this imbalance perhaps.

...or are the rotary inlet ports totally different?
when I was doing thermodynamics my teacher did say to be that the rotary engine does have a higher index in the area of the curve in the PV diagram prior to igniton which gives higher values in those calcualted conditons during compression phase need to look through my old lecture notes but a vlaue of 1.4 v's 1.3 comes to mind (13 years ago now lol) ....... practical impact I dont know can only theroize.

The decent lab tests i have seen on either reciprocating or rotary engines boosted all do not show massive drops in IMEP as those would have you believe on the plethora of inernet tuning expert sites nowadays (even when tested down to 8.5:1 AFR's) so go figure??? I know from some decent references i have (re racecarengineer) of turbo cars, lots of those in pre fuel rationing ranup to 60% excess fuel ratios ! so another validation of the rich mindset and a necessary one to make engines live and make *maximum?* power......... if not efficeint in fuel usage terms

I think the thing with water as shown in lots of older tests is that it is so good (so long as used in sufficient qty), in my tests thus far anything under 20% water to fuel ratio still benifits in very rich AFR's without the biglosses in power asuming you have a decent igniton system to do the job at hand, and sadly most do not have anything of the sort & probably is the single biggest reason for the abnormal losses of power at these rich settings? thoughts????