View Single Post
Old 28-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Default WI on IDI 1.9 Turbo Diesel

Hi, I own a 1.9TD IDI which I run on Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) and began experimenting with WI as I'd like to tune fuelling system for best power.

On water only I could discern no differences to power, boost or EGT's.

Progressively mixing in more methanol, the results were the same until I got up to 50% which gave a power boost accompanied by a horrible knocking.

I've been told (and several threads on this forum confirm) the knock is either the meth pre-igniting or causing detonation.

Originally, I was advised to use 4gph but with lack of results, I upped this to a total of 7gph which has made a slight noticeable difference.

I can only feel a power improvement with a 40% methanol mix but the knock forces me to turn it off. I also see a rise in boost from 28 to 30psi. There's no change to the EGT readings which peak at 700degrees C.

I would say my fuel system is mildly tuned and the turbo set to it's safe maximum. I make black smoke off-boost which clears to a haze on-boost until I reach the rpms where the governor reduces fuelling dramatically.

More googling research leaves me with the impression I'm flogging a dead horse due to the pre-chamber setup of an IDI diesel yet several posters using the same engine report much better results with no knock - even at 100% methanol.

I've been told this is because I need to add more fuel but I'm loathed to push the EGT's any higher.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on, why the differences in results from the same engine and how I should proceed from here?