View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Duh!

Actually, you guys are, for the most part, full of crap!

Quote (masterp2): "you don't have a grasp on the purpose of water injection....If you truly want to cool off a 1200 F degree cylinder, how does a 30 degree shower water temp change help? Sure, it does fine on a 98 degree body, but if you really want to cool off, get out of the (hot) shower and jump in front of a fan (Oh, the image!). This is what happens in water injection!."

ST: Man we are injecting for two reasons, but you only focus on one. Temps going to my throttle-body are down from around 150 to around 50 degrees Centigrade after misting the intercoolers. Misting ice-cold water at the throttle-body drops this and slows its rise, increasing the density of the charge and hence the concentration of oxygen. That's the first reason. We agree on the second.

Quote (masterp2): "The oxygen in water is not available for combustion, until a force like lightning makes it available. O2 (gas)dissolved in water is, and then only when allowed out of solution."

ST: I disagree. Firstly, the O2 comprising water will evolve to a gas in the combustion chamber and second, all of the 10 times extra oxygen in superoxygenated water is 'dissolved' and will evolve on entering the combustion chamber, if not earlier in the plenum and runners, which is all the more reason to chill the water and delay the evolution of O2 until it enters the combustion chamber,which will optimise the density of the charge and the concentration of O2 for catalysis.

I have 6 temp probes and a digital reader in my induction system, a digital EGT and digital broad-band A/F Ratio readers and I will very carefully gather the data, since the last person I want to kid is myself. I don't expect my interventions to profoundly improve matters over a short operational time-frame, but I do anticipate worthwhile improvements under longer WOT conditions, which is where it matters most and gains significance.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards

Stuart