View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Duh, duh, duh!

master2p

Reverend chemistry guru, two things to clarify.

1) I did not come onto this forum proclaiming a breakthrough of the decade for the internal combustion engine, or any engine for that matter, nor even any breakthrough at all. I merely responded to Hotrod's remark in response to Taz's request for you guy's opinion on my post on the Vortex as follows:

"What makes my setup of possible interest is that I am injecting superoxygenated water/methanol just before the throttle body. The reason for oxygenated water - 2-10 times the dissolved oxygen content of regular water - is that water injection displaces some oxygen volume in the intake charge. Dissolved superoxygenation fits oxygen in between the hydrogen and as such does not increase its resting volume, but contributes bonus oxygen to compensate for that displaced by the water and methanol."

Richard expressed his opinion that: "This should work very well.The combination of added oxygen and super-cooler mixture will improve your power significantly."

Hotrod opinioned that: "The chilled water makes sense.........but I don't buy his "science" about super oxygenation --- smacks of marketing hype to me."

So far so good. To respond to doubts about the "science about super-oxygenation", I provided a link to one of the contemporary pioneers in my field. No comment from the critics, just snide remarks, jokes and petty negativity at every turn thereafter on not being able to cope with science outside of the syllabus, though my pressurised tank hinted at some potetial within the paradigm.

All I was attempting to do was to reintroduce the oxygen displaced by the volume of water and methanol being injected and drop some of the intake charge heat in the process. For some, this is just too much effort, or impossible, neither of which I agree with, given that I am attempting to optimise the output of my standard turbo system, rather than counting minor peturbations in a tsunami, as with you big turbo-chargers and superchargers, within which context, you might be right about the relevance of the gains.

2) Now to your last remarks.

Quote (master2p): "If you can extract oxygen gas from H2O, with less than a 100,000 V charge, you can retire a very rich man and save the environment, and save a lot of NASA's present day problems! You'd be my hero. Liquid water evolves into gaseous water Mr Rocket Scientist, not oxygen and hydrogen gas."

ST: Just a minute. I did NOT say that the O2 comprising the water would evolve to a gas in the combustion chamber and participate in catalysis, that honour fell to the dissolved oxygen, ie that over and above the 7mg/L which comprised the H2O which was super-oxygenated. Frankly, I don't know exactly what the fate of the O2 of the water itself would be, but that of the dissolved O2 is pretty clearly evolved as O2 gas, as from whence it came. Studies of the combustion of the hydrogen/oxygen bonds of H2O2 might throw more light on that situation,which would certainly involve reactive oxygen species with multiple, both welcome and unwelcome fates under various conditions.

Finally, you are probably correct to ask what H2O10 is, since it obviously isn't correct to depict the oxygen as bonded, when it is just filling the cavities between the bonded molecules, so I apologise for your wasting a few keystrokes on my behalf on that score. Nevertheless, it is rather immature to make fun of that which you do not understand, for mere want of a better informed response.

Peace

Stuart