waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-05-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Yet another Aquamist jet size question

First, thanks very much to Richard and Ed for sponsoring this forum! It is an excellent resource for WI information.

I am very close to purchasing a 2d system (along with a DDS2) and want to be sure I have the proper range of jet sizes, as I'd like to order everything at once.

I've read and re-read all of the jet size posts on this forum, and still have a few questions.

My motor is a 2.4L turbocharged Toyota 4 cyl with a front mount intercooler, controlled by a standalone EMS (a SpeedPro/F.A.S.T. system with closed-loop wideband O2, so my target AFR and AFR readings are accurate). The intercooler appears to be fairly efficient, as my average inlet air temp under boost is around 40?F (22?C) above ambient, for a max observed of 110?F (43?C) as measured in the plenum.

I am using 4 X 550 cc/min injectors. We are currently running a max of 15 psi. To do this without pinging, I have been running a very rich 10.0:1 AFR above 11 psi, and have also been forced to reduce timing advance to 9? above 11 psi. From everything I've read here, this motor should be a good candidate for WI

If I want a max IDC of 80% (an IDC value that most tuners seem to feel is "safe"), then using the formula:

injector size * number of cylinders * max IDC * WI percentage

I get:

550 * 4 * .8 * .15 = 264 cc/min, using the updated chart in this post (http://waterinjection.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=217). This would put me at either a .6mm or .7MM jet.

Is this correct? Am I close? Because I am currently using so much fuel above 11 psi to cool the intake mixture, I am reluctant to use my current IDC numbers as the basis of any WI calculation, as I believe with proper WI I will be able to run much closer to 11.5:1 - 12.5:1. instead of my current 10.0:1.

Thanks for your time and help,

Jeff