waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 16-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Smart injection

Have just found this:

http://www.reagent.co.uk/methanol........ ?23.00/25L

http://www.dtchemicals.co.uk/index.p...uct_detail&p=2 ....... ?89/205L

http://www.dtchemicals.co.uk/index.p...uct_detail&p=1 ....... ?16/25L

add VAT and shipping.
Old 16-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Brilliant link, I'll go for the 205L option as the car is thirsty,

160 miles, 6 liters of mix and about 20 liters of petrol, but no missfires unless I turn threshold way down. Iv'e got the gain at it's lowest, but not getting large progression? It is progressive, but the car is kind of on or off normally. I think the mapping will make the injectors less 'on or off', you know how rich it is. Being so low flow compared to most applications must make it harder for the system to be progressive.
The relay is sticking, but perhaps I had the threshold turned down too much causing too much un-needed cycling? Can I put a capacitor somewhere to take the arc out of it and stop it heating up the contacts? (not sure if that's the correct approach but it rings a bell).

Really happy with it all, running like a dream, only hit 27 MAT (ambient 7) when taking it to the limits, this would normally give me 50+ !!!

Cheers!

Ps. Reagent Chemicals are cheap untill you add the delivery charge, then the price doubles!
Old 16-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Perhaps I should reduce my pump pressure to reduce current draw (saving relay) and increase the size of the restrictor to compensate?

Cheers!
Old 17-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

The relay should not have any problems, we have been using them for 16 months, not one report.

You could be right, since you are taking barely any flow so pressure stayed pretty high, hence the current. Half a turn counter clockwise will reduce it by ~15-20psi.

I am sending you a unfused 40A relay + an inline fuse. In case the other two failed again. Do you mind send the two relays back to me for examination. I will not charge you for the replacement. I will also send to a suppression diode to minimise arcing.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt. Q View Post

Ps. Reagent Chemicals are cheap until you add the delivery charge, then the price doubles!
Do not order any methanol until you do some more research. There might be a supplier near you. Sending hazardous chemical is expensive. Methanol is the cheapest form of alcohol.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt. Q View Post

160 miles, 6 liters of mix and about 20 liters of petrol, but no missfires unless I turn threshold way down. Iv'e got the gain at it's lowest, but not getting large progression? It is progressive, but the car is kind of on or off normally. I think the mapping will make the injectors less 'on or off', you know how rich it is. Being so low flow compared to most applications must make it harder for the system to be progressive.
The relay is sticking, but perhaps I had the threshold turned down too much causing too much un-needed cycling? Can I put a capacitor somewhere to take the arc out of it and stop it heating up the contacts? (not sure if that's the correct approach but it rings a bell).

Really happy with it all, running like a dream, only hit 27 MAT (ambient 7) when taking it to the limits, this would normally give me 50+ !!!
You car is certainly fast becoming an alcoholic.

Are you running two jets when bogging at the lowish threshold? Can you remember where the setting was (face of a clock)?

The gain should remain at 12 o'clock. Low gain will have no affect at low load. At high load, it will reduce flow.

It is quite a challenge to work in the region of 80cc to 150cc/min. The smallest valve we have is 450cc/min. If I have some spare time next week time next week. I will attempt to make a 200cc valve.

What is the "SC" setting at the moment?
Old 17-02-2013, 12:38 AM

Hi Richard,
I will send you the relays and turn down the pump 1/2 turn as instructed. I have just ordered 2 relays (and some 4mm line) from you too, will take the 40A relay and fuse instead of the relays ordered!

These teething problems are part of the challenge that make the rewards sweeter and increase knowledge base. I'm glad to be doing the learning curve before tuning. Really feel that I am getting to grips with it. I'd never have a turbo car without injection again, can't believe that it is not a factory fitted thing, even if just water, I think it would make more sense than an intercooler in a Smart (You have seen it's location, useless in a supposed city car that sits in traffic. If you park for 10 minutes, MAT will be 40+ when you start it again from absorbing engine heat, lol).
Had a clogged pre-turbo injector (couple of polishing mop fibers from tank, lol) and knew instantly because turbo boost like stock, (so must be pre turbo injector, the difference is that noticeable!!!) and flow down to 3 bars (1/2), system is brilliant in letting you know what is going on once you understand it (I have bypassed failsafe temporarily until mapping because no damage can occur till then anyway).

I'm stunned by the intake temp thing, the intercooler is never heat soaked, even if you give it some stick so MAT increases, and then let go of the throttle the MAT then drops like a stone!

As you say this car was born for injection.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 17-02-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
You car is certainly fast becoming an alcoholic.

Are you running two jets when bogging at the lowish threshold? Can you remember where the setting was (face of a clock)?

The gain should remain at 12 o'clock. Low gain will have no affect at low load. At high load, it will reduce flow.

It is quite a challenge to work in the region of 80cc to 150cc/min. The smallest valve we have is 450cc/min. If I have some spare time next week time next week. I will attempt to make a 200cc valve.

What is the "SC" setting at the moment?
The gain thing threw me, but I will put it at 12 o'clock, my threshold was very low when bogging, no boost and injecting, miss firing only until boost, I kept adjusting threshold upwards little by little until eliminated, now injection starts to kicks in at around .25(bar(ish).

Yes, running 2 jets

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 17-02-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:50 AM

Yes, the car is developing a drinking problem, I used to call it 'The Angry Midget', but know it is the 'The Angry Alcoholic Midget' lol.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:28 AM

Will check SC setting tomorrow.