waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Setting up failsafe issues

Im confused as to when the WL safe is triggered, I thought it was so when the systems running full, it has a window, not from the point of where it starts.
Can someone explain this better? Im just curious to how I know if my sprays down a little at full boost, as that will be very detrimental..
Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I will have a go ....

WL triggers the failsafe if the flow is below the window area at the lowest point of a flow event.
WH triggers the failsafe if the flow is above the window area at the highest point of a flow event.

WL has to be set to match the trigger point (threshold trimmer). Can only be done by trial and error. WH is quite simple after setting the 5/6 bars with SC during manual trigger (SYS).

Sensitivity of the failsafe trigger can be increased or decrease with the "FSDL" (failsafe delay) trimmer on the controller board.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 AM

I understand that, but does the WL follow the flow relative to the gain or threshold? though? Or just if it falls under the lowest flow part?
That would mean you could never tell if your jet had a tiny blockage and you were only spraying 90% of what you should be when its at IDC 95%? Or would the WL pick that up too?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

This is true, it can only detect over or under flow outside the window area, it does not detect partial flow drop within an event. But on the next event the WL will pick up the flow drop as the entire flow curve is lowered.

We have looked into the progressive flow detection window but it creates more false alarms than picking up a unique flow drop event. So we opted for the simpler approach.

If you are very concern about the partial flow loss, run the system in single stage mode and narrow up the window width.

We have been working on this for a good while but will not release it until we are totally happy with the performance. There is standalone progressive failsafe system offered by a US company (AEM) but not sure if their approach works better in practise than what you have got at the moment. Look into it.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 AM

Ok, that makes more sense, thanks, so say if my jet starts to clog, the flow scale will fall under the flow window even when it just begins to spray? I would have thought a partial blockage would not be picked up by sensor until its nearing max flow? Or is it that sensitive?
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Howerton Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbamon View Post
I was driving the car when I was trying to set it though. I did understand however that it triggers if the 'max' flow falls outside the window, not when it begins spraying?
Whats to let you know if your jets a little clogged and its not quite spraying fully when your revving right out?
In the middle of 1 gear pull it may not catch it if the system drops a small portion of the spray near max output, but when you shift it will not come up to proper spray fast enough and trigger the failsafe. On paper it may not sound perfect, but in practice it works very well.

This is why it's important to get the SC set right, as with the proper sensitivity it will catch an issue on spool up(injection commencing). This is usually what happens before you have a bigger issue like in the middle of a hard pull. A small blockage will be caught when first triggered.

Many of the calls we get after some use of the system is the failsafe is tripping and people don't know why as it seems to be spraying fine(AFR wise). What they don't realize is it taking a fraction of a second longer than it should to spool up the flowsensor and the failsafe catches it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the help, I set the SC to just display the 6th bar on full spray (using the SYS jumper) I dialled the WH back until the 'B' was flashing, then back 1 click. Will set the WL soon as I can get the time.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Im still having trouble :-( The WL wont trip failsafe. The SC is 6 bars, the WH is set, the best I can get from the WL is to make the 'B' come on, straight away flash off then back on continually spraying?? Wont trigger it off at all. Why?
Is something wrong with the settings, or the system, or is it just something wrong with me?
Old 14-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Howerton Engineering

How are you testing this? I sounds like it IS tripping at cut in as it flashes off. When the B light is off the failsafe is tripped.
Old 15-05-2013, 01:24 AM

The b comes on for a second, goes off then instantly back on, like it wont stay tripped?

Tags
fail safe, failsafe, hsf4, problems