waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 17-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Default Help Choosing Setup

I am looking into Water injection and have pretty much narrowed down what options I want/need but need some advice on a couple details and also would like suggestions as to which setup will fit my needs the best.

First of all, I have a GR chasis STi and would like a trunk mounted kit.
I want a progressive injection system to spray from #PSI to #PSI.
I want the system to have failsafes to reduce boost and timing in the event of a WI system failure.
I want a low lvl indicator light.
I would like a large tank(preferably 3+ gallons)

I would like advice on where to inject.
Whether I should have duel injectors. ie: pre-turbo and pre-throttle body

I know pre-turbo injection can damage the turbo, how can I make sure this wont occur with my setup?

If anything in my above post seems off, please feel free to suggest a better option. Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 19-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Help Choosing Setup

If you want a system that sprays based on boost then an Aquamist kit may not be for you. Aquamist kits spray primarily on injector duty cycle.

The only way to reduce boost and timing is to use the test connector on the car. I know this works for the earlier generation STI's, I don't have any feedback on your model as of yet.

The Aquamist kits utilizing a gauge have a low level sensor indicator on the gauge.

There are many places to buy tanks. We can supply you with many options. 3 gallons will be large int eh back of the GR unless you use the spare tire well.

Pre-turbo changes the profile of the turbo compressor map, otherwise you can put one or two injectors after the IC. There is no guarantee that pre-turbo injection will not affect the compressor wheel, but there are a few methods to minimize the affects.
Old 19-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Pre-turbo injection is something that i have been thinking of and it does sound very appealing.
So,the compressor wheel is affected?
Could you elaborate how?
Does water injection alone affect the compressor wheel? or when mixed 50/50 with methanol then it affects the comp wheel?
Thanks.
Old 19-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Howerton Engineering

Most of the testing has shown little or un-noticeable compressor damage when done correctly. There have been people reporting damage, but it has only been a couple and I think one on this forum said they were not running an air filter and had sucked some dust and dirt into the turbo as well.

I can't say 100% that nothing will happen to your turbo. If done right, my opinion is any affects would be very minimal if anything at all, but I want to be as honest as possible with the members of the forum.

Rice Racing on this forum has done a great deal of testing with pre-turbo injection. You could ask him about the method he uses.
Old 19-05-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howerton Engineering View Post
If you want a system that sprays based on boost then an Aquamist kit may not be for you. Aquamist kits spray primarily on injector duty cycle.

The only way to reduce boost and timing is to use the test connector on the car. I know this works for the earlier generation STI's, I don't have any feedback on your model as of yet.

The Aquamist kits utilizing a gauge have a low level sensor indicator on the gauge.

There are many places to buy tanks. We can supply you with many options. 3 gallons will be large int eh back of the GR unless you use the spare tire well.

Pre-turbo changes the profile of the turbo compressor map, otherwise you can put one or two injectors after the IC. There is no guarantee that pre-turbo injection will not affect the compressor wheel, but there are a few methods to minimize the affects.
Thank you for the response!

I didnt intend for it to sound like i wanted it to only rely on boost... I just meant I wanted a progressive controller instead of a basically on/off type setup.

Which of your kits would you recommend for my needs? the HKS-6? Also, is there a new model in the works? if so, what is the expected release timeframe?

Again, pre-turbo is definately the most appealing to me as long as I can have a duel setup with another one pre throttle body for extra cooling. This is of course if I can find a method that is fairly reliable and straight forward. I will have to search for more info on how to properly set up the pre turbo config.
Old 19-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Howerton Engineering

The HFS-3 or 6 would work well for your application. Most STI apps. have twin jets at the exit of the IC. If you are maxing out the stock turbo, then the pre-turbo spray can help extend the efficiency range of the turbo.

There are two schools of pre-turbo injection. 1) Using one of the pre-turbo sprayers we offer which holds the jet so that it sprays right at the center of the turbine to aviod any spray hitting near the edge of the impeller. 2) Spray as far away from the turbo as possible so the mist disperses and a fine fog is going into the turbo. You can look up Rice Racing on this forum and look at his work. He has done some very fine testing of this arrangement.

As far as new models, most of the line is relatively recent developments, I don't expect any system upgrades for 12-24 months.
Old 20-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The HFS-3 or 6 would work well for your application. Most STI apps. have twin jets at the exit of the IC. If you are maxing out the stock turbo, then the pre-turbo spray can help extend the efficiency range of the turbo.

There are two schools of pre-turbo injection. 1) Using one of the pre-turbo sprayers we offer which holds the jet so that it sprays right at the center of the turbine to aviod any spray hitting near the edge of the impeller. 2) Spray as far away from the turbo as possible so the mist disperses and a fine fog is going into the turbo. You can look up Rice Racing on this forum and look at his work. He has done some very fine testing of this arrangement.

As far as new models, most of the line is relatively recent developments, I don't expect any system upgrades for 12-24 months.

So I looked into both the HFS 3 and 6 but am having trouble understanding the differences between the two. For someone who will install this on a stock STi and will eventually upgrade all the bolt ons and maybe a few other things(probably wont touch the turbo or switch to FMIC) Would the HFS 3 suffice? What would I be giving up if I choose to go with the 3 rather than the 6?

Also, with my application, would you say that the pre turbo injection is a bit overkill and the best option would be twin jets at the exit of the IC?

Last edited by SIVIirnoff; 20-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 20-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Howerton Engineering

There are a few significant differences in the 3 and the 6, but none that would affect the delivery of the methanol to the motor. The differences are:

The 6 has an IDC trim function for scaling the jetting
The 6 has adjustable boost pressure compensation, if enabled, the 3's is fixed
The 6 has a dedicated MAC valve circuit for wategate actuation, the 3 uses the standard failsafe contacts
The 6 has an adjustable failsafe reset timer
There are a number of more minor items the 6 employs.

Again, these are features that are above and beyond the basic operational functions that both share. You will get the same basic functionality and power from either system.

If you get to the max airflow of the stock turbo and need more from it then the pre-turbo sprayer can help, or if you live in an very hot and dry climate it could help as well. The closer to stock the powertrain is the less effect the pre-tubro sprayer is likely to have.
Old 20-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
There are a few significant differences in the 3 and the 6, but none that would affect the delivery of the methanol to the motor. The differences are:

The 6 has an IDC trim function for scaling the jetting
The 6 has adjustable boost pressure compensation, if enabled, the 3's is fixed
The 6 has a dedicated MAC valve circuit for wategate actuation, the 3 uses the standard failsafe contacts
The 6 has an adjustable failsafe reset timer
There are a number of more minor items the 6 employs.

Again, these are features that are above and beyond the basic operational functions that both share. You will get the same basic functionality and power from either system.

If you get to the max airflow of the stock turbo and need more from it then the pre-turbo sprayer can help, or if you live in an very hot and dry climate it could help as well. The closer to stock the powertrain is the less effect the pre-tubro sprayer is likely to have.
I currently live in northern california so especially during the summers it can get well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. the next two places I may move would be southern texas or florida so this may be something to look into... especially once I start doing more upgrades to the car... Thank you for all of your help. I think the HFS 3 will more than suit my purpose. This conversation just saved me a couple hundred dollars. And I know it has been stated many times before but your customer service is amazing! I am not even a customer yet but you have definately secured Aquamist as being the brand I go with in a few months when I buy my WMI system.