waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 05-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Want to change to direct-port -- initial questions

I want to tap my intake manifold (aluminum) for a direct port setup. Is it typical to tap it with the M8 tap and thread the injectors directly into the aluminum? Or would it be better to tap it to 1/8 NPT and then use the 1/8 NPT to M8 adapter plugs? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

I currently have nozzles in my intake piping post-intercooler. I would like to keep one there even after I switch to DP. But I can't decide what size nozzles to put where. I'd like to have an overall flow of about 1200 ~ 1300cc, but I don't know if it's better to have smaller DP jets and a larger post-intercooler jet, or the opposite. Again, can anyone speak to the advantages/disadvantages of either setup? (My engine is 4 cyl)

Is it better to put the DP nozzles as close to the head as possible? Because of my engine/engine-bay layout, the closer I get to the head, the less accessible they'll be for changing/cleaning/etc.

Oh, and finally, if I would tap the intake with the M8 tap, what size drill would I need to use? (inch)

Thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Want to change to direct-port -- initial questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethoD View Post
I want to tap my intake manifold (aluminum) for a direct port setup. Is it typical to tap it with the M8 tap and thread the injectors directly into the aluminum? Or would it be better to tap it to 1/8 NPT and then use the 1/8 NPT to M8 adapter plugs? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

I currently have nozzles in my intake piping post-intercooler. I would like to keep one there even after I switch to DP. But I can't decide what size nozzles to put where. I'd like to have an overall flow of about 1200 ~ 1300cc, but I don't know if it's better to have smaller DP jets and a larger post-intercooler jet, or the opposite. Again, can anyone speak to the advantages/disadvantages of either setup? (My engine is 4 cyl)

Is it better to put the DP nozzles as close to the head as possible? Because of my engine/engine-bay layout, the closer I get to the head, the less accessible they'll be for changing/cleaning/etc.

Oh, and finally, if I would tap the intake with the M8 tap, what size drill would I need to use? (inch)

Thanks
If the aluminium is very thin, it is better to weld on a boss. It is very easy to cross thread the M8x0.75 thread with the jets in a thin plenum wall.

Core drill size is 7.2mm for M8x0.75

1/8 NTP is sealf sealing with some Teflon tape. Might be easier to tap and screw in.

Big central jet and small DP -> poor distribution, little advantages, if at all. You MIGHT get some air cooling, but you will mainly cool the piping and the intake manifold. Lot‘s of puddling and removal of mist turning into streams of mix. These will pass straight though the engine into the exhaust.

Small jet and big DP jets -> best distribution and biggest effect. Least amount of charge dilution from cooling metal parts. I‘d even skip the post IC jet. You‘ll find it will have little to no effect compared to the DP jets.

You need the spray in the cylinder, so place them on top of the intake runners as close as possible and centered as possible to the injectors. Only this way you get a as homogenous distribution within the cyliner as with the fuel spray.

I always used deionized water and fuel cell grade methanol plus a filter. I opened up the jets after years of use and found nothing attached to the internal filter frit. Spray pattern was also as good as new.

Enjoy :-)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM

So I finally got the time to start on my DP project. Attached is a picture of the nozzles installed in the intake. I would've rather had the nozzles right next to the ports in the head as was recommended but there were several reasons I chose not to do that. Mainly, I would've had to mount them on the bottom side of the runner (not enough room to mount them on the top side) and I was afraid that'd put them at too much risk of getting them fouled with carbon or other residue.

You can't tell by the picture, but I tapped the holes at about a 30 degree angle which I figured would provide better mixing than having the spray come out exactly perpendicular to the airflow. Because of the angle I had to use the extended tip jets. They just barely protrude into the runner which is just how I wanted it to work out.

In case anyone is wondering, I have the hoses for the middle jets crossed because I tried to keep the length of the hoses for the end jets close to the same length as the centers. I couldn't keep them exact because of clearance in the engine compartment but they are only about 1" different. I don't know if that makes much difference but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Incidentally, I have a 91 Toyota MR2 with a 4th Gen 3SGTE engine and various bolt-on aftermarket goodies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nozzle setup2.jpg (608.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

we will soon have the +10mm jet available with 90-deg. compression fitting as follows:

Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Will the 90 degree compression fittings be available for purchase on their own?
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

You will need to purchase the 806-388 fittings and comment at checkout that you want the metal compression version instead.
Old 16-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Could you post a picture of the intake manifold from the side?
I’d like to get an idea about the the path the spray has to take.