waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-6 forum

Old 30-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Failsafe activating after shift.

The lift off coudl have something to do with the mis-matching between the IDC trigger point and boost pressure switch setting. I have not seen this happen before.

Do you use an inline restrictor?

I think the game plan is good idea. Don't get a tank until we have sorted this out.

What is you WL and WH setting now?
Old 30-08-2010, 05:17 PM

WL is full CCW, WH is full CW, and FLSF SENS is full CW so the parameters for the failsafe window are fully open.

Per the instructions on pg9 of the manual:
0.5mm restrictor .................... 0 - 380cc/min
0.7mm restrictor .................... 0 - 680cc/min
0.9mm restrictor .................. 0 - 1080cc/min

From memory I believe I needed 550-600cc/min so I used the 0.7mm inline restrictor in the FCM. Let me know if I should have used the 0.9mm or none at all.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I would just remove the restrictor for the time being in case there is a partial block there. This is a strange one for me especially on lift-off.

How difficult is it for you to run the system without the pressure switch, just to check if there is a mis-match of the two trigger points.
Old 30-08-2010, 06:47 PM

No problem, I will remove the restrictor and give it a shot.

No pressure switch in the system. See post #12 on our discussion about the Eboost2 aux output and relay. And in my post earlier today, I mentioned I've already set the output on the Eboost2 so that the relay is triggered allowing full IDC signal to pass on any RPM >100, and as a precaution will be completely bypassing the relay by jumping leads 87-30 in case signal is still being cut for some unknown reason.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

I was able to measure output into a container as recommended by Jeff. It only flowed 250cc/min on the 1.0mm jet. I switched jets to 0.9mm and same, ~250cc.

I then removed the 0.7mm restrictor. It did not appear to have any contaminants as I could clearly see through the jet. Testing again, I now got ~500cc which was closer to spec.

Buttoned it up without any restrictor, went for a ride and now got full 7-8 bars even after shifting. Only did 2nd and part of 3rd gear, but after 3 tries still no failsafe.

I then turned the boost back up to 15psi, and set the Eboost2 aux to trigger the relay to send IDC signal at 13psi. No failure after another couple passes in 2nd shifting into 3rd. Looks like this was the problem.

So at this point, what is the diagnosis? Partial clog in the restrictor? Restrictor not supposed to be there at all?

Later this week I will work on closing the failsafe windows, as currently they are all set to max.

Thanks Richard and Jeff for your assistance.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Howerton Engineering

The pump could possibly be at a lower pressure than spec. There is an adjustment screw on the nose of the pump that adjusts this. I'm not sure if you need to at this point as you now seem to have it running as it should.

It's hard to say what the problem was without some troubleshooting and looking into the parts.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Any drawbacks to not using a restrictor as specified in the instructions?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Howerton Engineering

The restrictor is there to place a similar orifice on each side of the valve to give it some linearity across the entire injection range. If running from a low IDC setting, you may see a hump in the injection curve in the middle IDC region without a restrictor. Depending on how you run the system, triggering it at the point you are, you may not encounter this issue. In reality, it just runs a bit fatter in the midrange, unless you are already seriously rich, it won't hurt at all.