waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-6 forum

Old 17-05-2009, 05:48 PM

So Aquamist has (3) Items listed:

1) Anti Surge Arrestor, 22cc Capacity, Rated at 12 Bars, 1/8" BSP Connection

2) Anti Surge Arrestor, 30cc Capacity, Rated at 12 Bars, 1/8" BSP Connection

3) Anti Surge Arrestor, 100c Capacity, Rated at 12 Bars, 1/8" BSP Connection

Do these items not fix this "surge" issue?
09 E82 135i

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Old 18-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

They all do. We have decided to discontinue the 30cc and 100cc. Only concentrated on the 22cc.
Old 23-05-2009, 08:57 AM

I'm almost done with my first HFS-6 install, which is going in an 08 STi.

Here's the car:

Here's the fancy new HFS-6 control board, which goes in the glove box:

I suppose I will wrap that wiring up a bit. Moving rearward to the hatch we have this mess going on:

If I could tig weld this would be done already. Here's the tank and partially completed mounting frame:

Yeah, it's 4 gallons. Or 15l for you metric system using people.

Moving all that water/meth is the new 160psi pump featuring compression fittings:

The line and wiring harness to the rear are tucked under the passenger floor along with the fuel lines. There are even convenient extra tabs to mount the line:

From there the wiring harness travels into the glove box and the pump power wire and tubing go through the main harness grommet into the engine bay with the flow control unit harness. The flow control unit is mounted to the firewall. A 90 degree fitting for the inlet would make this work a lot better.

Here's the engine bay and ATP 3076 turbo:

Okay well that's all for now. Once the bracketry is welded up I can get the hatch finished and the car will be tuned tomorrow.
Old 23-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Default ^^^^nice set up JAMAL

+1 for HB SPEED shop

keep us posted and let me know if jon says to do anythinng special for him to tune.
i cant wait to get mine in the mail. and tuned by HB SPEED.
Old 23-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Thank for posting such nice pictures. Great install, especially the water tank and bracket - something very special...

Looking forward to more pictures and tune results.
Old 24-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Well, the car is finished and here are the pictures I took today. I'll start with the pump.

Mounting bracket and pump location:

And yes, I tapped some M5x0.9 holes so I could just bolt it right down.

Then I got a little crazy with the split loom and spiral wrap to protect the meth line and clean up the wiring:

Jon welded up the rest of my bracketry so all I had to do was paint it, bolt it in place, strap down the tank, and make the floor fit around it:

After testing for leaks, we filled the tank with a 50/50 mix and it went on the dyno:

Previously the car made 361 whp on 91 octane with 21 pounds of boost. Now with 21 psi it makes 390whp. Going farther on the stock map sensor means there is no boost cut, so we left it there for now. Later on I'm sure we'll put in a new MAP sensor and see what it will really do. This is a stock engine, though, so we're reluctant to push too far. Stupid stock pistons.

Impressions:

I like the HFS-6. A lot.

Wiring up the HFS-5 board never bothered me, and in fact I liked doing it because each installation was custom and all the wires were exactly the right length. With the HFS-6, I have to say the RJ connectors for everything is very nice. Having most of the harnesses pre-set in length worried me a bit, but I ended up with very little extra wiring to deal with. Most of the extra on the trunk harness, and it's just zip-tied together and tucked under the tank. Aside from the tank fabrication, the installation was quick and easy. The fact that I've installed plenty of aquamist kits helped, but I am really impressed to have had no issues whatsoever with the installation of ths brand new product. This one came out of the group buy and must be one of the first to be installed and tuned. I've previously had some issues with the HFS-5, like getting the boost cut to work without throwing a CEL, systems that reset when the lights were turned on, and had a trip-adj pot reversed. All I have to say is this is a really, really great kit. Thanks Richard.

Also, I suppose I could post this up on some Subaru forums.
Old 24-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Nice install pics!

I had a couple questions about the whole install:
1. Are you guys running the meth line in the cabin, under the passenger's side carpet, through the glovebox and the grommet in the firewall?
2. Would it be safer to run the meth line outside? What are the chances of the line to leak one day inside the interior?
3. Question about tank. I don't understand the whole thing about venting the tank. Some say that the cap is vented and some are supposed to vent outside of the car. What are you guys doing about this? Does it need to be vented, meaning have air move in and out of the tank? Do you guys do this with a hose or something?
4. Does having the tank in the trunk make the cabin smell like meth? Does the tank stay airtight?
5. So where are the optimal places to place the spray nozzles? Which direction?

Just getting prepared to install my HFS-6 and I haven't figured out those things...

Thanks for the help,
AK
Old 24-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Tank

I also wanted to get some opinions about my tank choice.

Would that type of tank be good? Can you guys think of any downsides to using that tank?

As it says on their website "This tank will prime EVERY TIME without fail because the pump and tank are ALWAYS in the same position and only 1 inch of hose is between the pump and tank!"

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 24-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I am not sure how good this tank is regarding sloshing when the tank is half full. I believe it can hold just under 4 quarts (~4000cc). Most of you with the HFS-xx would use two jets consumes about 800cc/min. This tank will allow 5 minutes of full injection. M50:W50 lasts a bit longer, providing you can use every drop of the liquid. In practice, It will be good for 3 minutes.

I will ask jeff (Howerton), whom has used this tank before to post here to make some constructive comments.

I think you should be looking for a larger tank if you are doing a great deal of full throttle pulls. US plastics has a large range of tanks at a very reasonable price.

One of our dealer - howertonengineering.com keeps a very good range of flambleau tanks. They also have stock of brackets that will hold the tank and pump in one neat location - 4-quart tank. but available in 5 & 6 quiart also:

The shape of the tank helps to prevent water surging. More pictures at different angles.

It is possible to double the capacity by bolting another tank back to back of the first one.

The cross bar is designed for BMW mini installation. Only takes les than 5 minutes to installer. Jeff (Howerton) is very clever at fabricating work as shown below (without top lip):

With top lip and texture coated.

Old 24-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal
Well, the car is finished and here are the pictures I took today. I'll start with the pump.

Mounting bracket and pump location:

And yes, I tapped some M5x0.9 holes so I could just bolt it right down.

Then I got a little crazy with the split loom and spiral wrap to protect the meth line and clean up the wiring:

Jon welded up the rest of my bracketry so all I had to do was paint it, bolt it in place, strap down the tank, and make the floor fit around it:

After testing for leaks, we filled the tank with a 50/50 mix and it went on the dyno:

Previously the car made 361 whp on 91 octane with 21 pounds of boost. Now with 21 psi it makes 390whp. Going farther on the stock map sensor means there is no boost cut, so we left it there for now. Later on I'm sure we'll put in a new MAP sensor and see what it will really do. This is a stock engine, though, so we're reluctant to push too far. Stupid stock pistons.

Impressions:

I like the HFS-6. A lot.

Wiring up the HFS-5 board never bothered me, and in fact I liked doing it because each installation was custom and all the wires were exactly the right length. With the HFS-6, I have to say the RJ connectors for everything is very nice. Having most of the harnesses pre-set in length worried me a bit, but I ended up with very little extra wiring to deal with. Most of the extra on the trunk harness, and it's just zip-tied together and tucked under the tank. Aside from the tank fabrication, the installation was quick and easy. The fact that I've installed plenty of aquamist kits helped, but I am really impressed to have had no issues whatsoever with the installation of ths brand new product. This one came out of the group buy and must be one of the first to be installed and tuned. I've previously had some issues with the HFS-5, like getting the boost cut to work without throwing a CEL, systems that reset when the lights were turned on, and had a trip-adj pot reversed. All I have to say is this is a really, really great kit. Thanks Richard.

Also, I suppose I could post this up on some Subaru forums.

Another great set of pictures. I really think you should post the same onto other forums such as the NASIOC and IWSTi, quite a few people are asking querstions about the HFS-6 install and not many replies.. Please also include the first set of picture also. Not many people has seen the inside of the controller.