waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 03-03-2004, 03:53 AM

The figures that you are quoting for water flow seem very interesting. Currently there aren't many people in australia running superchargers let alone water injection. I have an eaton m90, no intercooler (looking at making water to air) on a 2L fiat/lancia engine averaging 21psi of boost. I have had it out to 26psi. No currently i am getting huge inlet temperatures and having to retard timming to reduce detonation.

I have the water injection system running of the waste gate settings on a haltech e6k which means that i can map water flow against rpm while i am under boost. This helps in that i can run more water top end.

What sort of flow rate of water should i look at trying to use. At the moment i am still yet to feel the car bog down and haven't noticed any change in inlet temperatures as i add more water..
Old 16-03-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5
Btw, you guys with NB Miatas, when calculating the percentage of water you're running, do you correct your calculations for the different fuel system you're running? I mean i.e. 240 cc/min fuel injector flows 240cc/min in NA Miata, but not in NB one
I was directed to a long thread at miata.net that discussed the different flow rates between the NA and the NB miatas. I did correct for it. From what I recall, I think Robbie is right. The stock injectors flow 270cc/min on the NB miatas; 240cc/min on the NA's.

When I refigured, I switched to the .5mm water jet. Car runs fine.

I have to take out about 2* from the stock timing with water; about 4* without water. This is on 91 octane.
Old 16-03-2004, 05:50 PM

I've been running the kit now with the 0.8 mm nozzle for about 1.5 weeks. It runs fine. I'm taking it in for retuning on Wednesday, March 24. Strangely, since the kit was installed, my gas mileage seems to have dropped by 2 mpg or so. I wouldn't have thought it was have affected it until the car was retuned, and then I was expecting a slight improvement, since the car will likely the AFR will be inreased slightly when the injection is occurring. I'll post another update once the tuning and dyno testing is done.
Old 25-03-2004, 03:11 AM

The retune was done today. It looks like I gained 10 fwhp from my new 4-2-1 header, and another 20 fwhp from the retune with the injection system. I'm now at 202 hp and 194 lb-ft. of torque at the front wheels. Although I'm totally happy with this, and the car is quite quick now, the tuner was very cautious about timing advance increases. He raised the AFR from about 11 to 12-12.5, which the car liked a lot, but he only raised the WOT/high RPM (high boost) timing by 1 degree to 16.5. He wanted to play it safe. I have no problem with this, but I am curious if we could have bumped the timing advance up more. Either way, the car is a blast to drive!

Thanks to everyone who helped! Oh, and my previous post comment about the drop in gas mileage seems to have been a fluke. I think it stayed about the same after the kit was installed. With a higher AFR now, I would expect slightly better mileage now, perhaps.
Old 26-03-2004, 12:41 AM

Unless the results are painfully obviously wrong - I generally wouldn't expect anyone to question a tuner's decision in the tune.

Was the tuner using det cans? I mean if he was monitoring detonation and wasn't hearing any and you were both happy with the fuel level try the timing at another .5 degree in steps and see if the torque curve lifts up. If he is starting to hear det or there is not an appreciable pick up on the torque curve, drop it back to the last setting and you are probably where you need to be.

Baby steps - if the tuner hasn't used water injection quite a bit - he has every right to be cautious within his comfort level. It hurts his reputation a lot more if your engine blows than it helps if he got you another 5-8 hp. If the engine is running strong and you bring it back and he does a leak down test and sees that all is good, maybe you can get him to advance it a bit more.
Old 27-05-2004, 09:01 AM

i have a jackson racing supercharger on my zts focus,so i guess this question/s is for focus owners with chargers but input form anyone with a turbo/supercharger would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of charger do you have?
How much boost are you running?
How did you achive higher boost without distroying the charger?
What are the limits of the charger?
Can you inject befor the blower?
What kind of horsepower/torque increas did you get?
What do you think i should do to my focus?

I already have Eiback suspension,ford racing shorty headers,off road pipe,roots type 5psi blower,magna flow cat back,
Old 27-05-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan
i have a jackson racing supercharger on my zts focus,so i guess this question/s is for focus owners with chargers but input form anyone with a turbo/supercharger would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of charger do you have?
How much boost are you running?
How did you achive higher boost without distroying the charger?
What are the limits of the charger?
Can you inject befor the blower?
What kind of horsepower/torque increas did you get?
What do you think i should do to my focus?

I already have Eiback suspension,ford racing shorty headers,off road pipe,roots type 5psi blower,magna flow cat back,
Go to http://www.focaljet.com. Do a search on the "Forced Induction and Nitrous" forum, and you'll get all sorts of info. However, here's a rundown of mine:

I have a JRSC on my 2001 Focus ZX3.

I'm running a maximum of about 14 psi.

The M45 Eaton roots blower won't be destroyed at this increased rotational speed, but it does go beyond it's designed efficiency (i.e., it runs very hot and is very inefficient). I have a 5.9" crank pulley (stock is 5.17") and a 2.3" supercharger pulley. I did not intend to go to 14 psi with this setup--I was expecting closer to 10 psi. If I were to do this again, I would go with a smaller crank pulley--probably a 5.5", but no more than a 5.7". I got my pulleys from ASP Racing, but others make them.

From what I've seen about this blower, injecting before the blower is good for better distribution of water to the cylinders, but it's not so good for the low friction coating on the supercharger internals.

I'm not sure which increase you're looking for. Stock JRSC (with stock pulley and "tuning") is good for about 150 whp and a little less torque. Without the water injection, but with custom tuning, I got 172 whp. A FocusSport 4-2-1 header added 10 whp to that. Tuning for the water injection added another 20 whp (with conservative timing increase, and increase in A/F from 11-11.5 to 12.5). I'm now at a little over 200 whp and 194 lb-ft. of torque.

[/url]