waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Default new install, pre turbo water injection

I've been reading lots on Pre compressor water injection and I want to give it a shot. Currently I see air charge temps around 130 C before the intercooler and 60 C after. (This is running around 20 psi)

I'm hoping I can reduce this with water injection.

I don't have a lot of time to spend on my own car (as always) this is a last minute install, and I'm on the rolling road Tuesday to test the install.

I was planning installing the smallest jet which came with a kit I had given to me. The jets in the kit are 130cc/min, 315cc/min & 550cc/min

The engine is currently fitted with 500cc injectors, running at around 60% duty (batch fired, 4clyninder if that makes a difference)

My plan was to use the smallest jet and aim it at the compressor wheel (I have a 90deg bend on my air intake pipe so it should be pretty easy to weld a boss into the intake pipe aiming directly at the compressor wheel)

I wasn't planning on changing the map for the water injection, currently my map is pulling off a lot of ignition advance as the Air temp increases, so hopefully I should see gains once the ACT are lower.

What mix of meth and water should I try?
Will one jet before the compressor be ok, or do I need one after the intercooler too?

any tips or advice would be great

cheers

Codey
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: new install, pre turbo water injection

You could try the small or medium jet before the compressor wheel, or the small before and the medium or large after the IC. Water before the compressor works good, after the IC we would typically use 50/50. Is the air temp sensor after the IC? If so, methanol sprayed after the IC and before the sensor will give the biggest effect on the charge temp and the sensor. The down side to cooling with methanol is how much it will affect the AFR's.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info the origonal plan was not to change the the map so sounds like I don't want to use to much meth so not to affect the AFR.

My air temp sensor is after the intercooler just before the throttle body.

So adding meth improves the cooling affect on the water? Could I simply reduce the meth but add more water (up to a point) to get the same effect but not change AFR's?

Also where can I can a 'T' connector and another jet delivered to me by the morning? (Friday today).

Assuming I can't get another jet in time, and I only have the one, should I inject pre turbo, or post intercooler??
Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Howerton Engineering

Where are you located?

The water will only evaporate up to a point, and not as low as the meth, so continuing to dump water to lower IAT doesn't always work. You can certainly give it a shot as all applications differ a bit.

As for jet position, the traditional spot would be post IC, but you can give anything a shot.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm in the UK, nowhere near you unfortunetly,

hmm, I plan to mount the jet tonight, but really on the fence on where to mount it
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Howerton Engineering

The safe bet is after the IC.
Old 29-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys. In the end I resulted in running one jet after the intercooler.

I ran the car on the rollers, and my ACT after the intercooler dropped from 60 degree's ot around 25 degrees, I was running 50/50 meth. We found we lost around 4bhp everywhere. We tried advancing the timing a few degrees but it made no difference.

Any ideas why I lost power?

I have since got my hands on the parts required to add another jet, which I plan to add pre compressor.

I've only got one check valve will I need another when running two jets?

Thanks

Jim
Old 29-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Howerton Engineering

What model of kit do you have and which size jet did you install? When was it set to come on?
Old 29-07-2010, 03:36 PM

I have the AEM Kit, using the medium size nozzle which came in the kit, (I think 315cc??) coming in at 7psi, up max flow set at 28psi, and running 26psi. The other nozzle i have is an aquamist jet, I think .6mm but not 100% sure, I'll check when I get to the workshop
Old 29-07-2010, 03:56 PM

digging through old emails I think the aquamist jet I plan to put pre turbo is .4mm