waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 30-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Default Re: new install, pre turbo water injection

Doh I was wrong again, the jet is .7mm is that going to be too large??
Old 30-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Howerton Engineering

There are a couple things to consider. 1) A pump speed kit is not linear. I'm not sure about the AEM,. but another kit I just tested had the pump starting at 30%DC at the cut in point,7psi in your case. Then at 50% signal they are spraying 70%. With the pump already starting at 30%, you are already behind the curve.

2) Now reality. These pumps can push up to 1600-1800cc. When using a smaller jet such as an M6 (378CC rating at 100psi) You reach 90% for the spray at 50%DC on the pump. So what is happening is you essentially have a single stage system with a variable controller forgoing some consistency. Thta's not to say it won't work, you just have to know it's limitations.

What PSI is the pump rated for? You may have to re-adjust the jetting based on the performance of the system.

Do you have AFR and logged timing curves for the dyno run? Do you know what the max timing is for the open loop run?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM

I am on the dyno again this afternoon. I have mounted a jet pre compressor, and I plan to log AFR, ambient air temp, pre and post intercooler temps, boost, ign timing, and injector duration, and RPM. anything else I should log?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Howerton Engineering

EGT and knock if possible.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM

I don't have a knock sensor, and I've not yet mounted the EGT sensor, forgot all about it and only had the turbo off Monday night,
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM

I tried running with both injectors yesterday. Didn't have time todo everything I wanted todo on the rolling road, as a had problems with a cam change between runs (long story)

When running WI, with a 270cc jet after the intercooler and a .7mm aquamist before the turbine it was over fuelling, afr 10.1!!! I'm guessing these jets are far to big.

My WI pump is 150psi, how do I calculate what size jets I need?

I'm guessing woth fueling that rich the data I logged is going to be no good to anyone?

Going a bit off topic, in a turbo'd engine running 25psi boost what AFR's would you set your tartget to both with, and without water injection?

Last edited by Codey; 12-08-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Grammer even worse than it is now.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Howerton Engineering

You will have to lean the fueling maps to bring the AFR back where you need it. Various cars like different target AFR's some cars like 13.0 fine, in know it's a bit scary, and some cars like 11.5. What was you base AFR before turning the injection on?
Old 13-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Afr target before water injection was 11.1, I think this was done to keep it cooler as ACT where over 60 deg C. I'm think with WI and afr target of around 12 should be safe. I've ordered an aquamist .4mm jet I think it may be better if I start small and work my way up. I'm thinking that it's better to run a small jet with more pressure than a large jet with low pressure?
Old 13-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Howerton Engineering

Not trying to complicate the issue, but keep in mind as you change jet sizes on a pump speed system, you change the flow curve. The smaller the jet run the more it resembles a single stage system. The pump ramps up speed behind the small jet orifice and makes near max pressure very early. While spraying less overall, the flow curve is very flat.

We routinely see 1 AFR drop running 100% methanol and about a 25% injectant ratio. If using the w/m for cooling add jetting until you reach the desired temp then start to tune the maps for the added fueling.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:38 AM

ahh ok, I think I have been going about this the wrong way, is the aim to use as least water as possible to get the desired ACT, any more water after that will lose power?

I've just received my parts from ERL, so I can now start with a .4mm jet pre compressor and a 130cc/min jet post intercooler