waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Lightbulb Re: new install, pre turbo water injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codey View Post
ahh ok, I think I have been going about this the wrong way, is the aim to use as least water as possible to get the desired ACT, any more water after that will lose power?

I've just received my parts from ERL, so I can now start with a .4mm jet pre compressor and a 130cc/min jet post intercooler
No offence to anyone , but I think you are doing too many things at once.You need to decide why you are wanting to use water injection .If its for cooling to control high IAT's thereby reducing detonation , then water ONLY is more effective at doing this.If you are at the limit of your fuel system and you need to use some methanol to "bring Back" your a/f ratios , then a 50/50 mix is good . What ever you decide to do , you have to consider that a bit of tuning is required to see gains , but the least amount of changes you make to your maps the safer you will be if your WI system fails (ask me how I know this). if you have to lean out your maps too much or run too much ignition, then you are spraying too much water.
In my experience , water works best because of its cooling properties ! Infact since water has four times the cooling ability of methanol , you would need substantially less (1/4 the amount compared to a 50/50 mix) !! All that is required is leaning out your maps to where they should be and advancing ignition timing not more than 2 to 3 degrees at any one point .I usually stick with the lower number for safety reasons. After you have played around with this you should see some decent gains ,if not then go bravely into the world of methanol injection .
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: new install, pre turbo water injection

There many factors in play. Water's best attribute is detonation resistance. It will cool IAT's some, but the evaporation point is high relative to methanol. You will never get close to ambient temps in the inlet track with water.

Methanol on the other hand will cool to well below ambient temperatures in the inlet track. Yes, the latent heat is much less than water, but the flash point is much lower giving lower ultimate temps. We have run 40F less than ambient before in the inlet track with 100% methanol. The drawback is you are adding more fuel that needs to be accoutned for.

On many cars, just adding water will cool the inlet temps a little, then adding a bit more the car will loose power. If using water solely for inlet temp reduction on a near stock car, the numbers may not be dramatic.

There is no magic pill for setup with certain ratios and cars. Each application needs to be looked at for injection system capability, car use, tuning capabilities(ECU) etc. I have seen 100% water work great on some cars and applications and the complete opposite on other cars.
Old 13-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Re: new install, pre turbo water injection

Some good info here thanks guys, I'm in the process of installing an engine dyno so I can experiment and log things much easier. I doubt however that the waterbrake dyno I have will be able to handle the power of my engine on full chat for long, but it should give me an idea of whats going on.