waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: Supercharging BMW E90 N46B20 320i 4cyl

I will try installing the SC around the OEM Air Filter Box(the one will be removed). There is a possibility the SC to be installed on the other side (left side if you are staying in front of the car).Finally there is also a lot of free space in front of the engine. The space is very tight but the SC is also very compact. I am sure I will find a way to squeeze it somewhere. My goal will be:
As close as possible to the engine(here 1cm is the best 10cm is the worst scenario); As little curves from SC->Aftercooler->intake as possible; a nice design for gripping the pulleys as much as possible.
As I said I really do not have a way to add a Throttle position sensor so will that be a problem with the 3D map - or let's say will it transform to a 2.5D ops:
So for now it will be nice to buy a 5V Weber/Marelli style additional MAP which I could find in plenty OEM applications of the good 90s and a CLAMP for the OEM.

Absolute stunning discussion... you a helping me big time.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Supercharging BMW E90 N46B20 320i 4cyl

Th eMF2 does not need a TPS, just boost and RPM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Here is a sample picture of an E90 with the same engine as mine:
Either left or right side will be fine. The SC could be mounted horizontally, vertically or in any desired angle as far as the pulley aligns with the crank.
I will start with the mounting brackets, because if I cannot secure the SC in a way that NO belt slippage or damage occurs there will be no sense to continue on.
I have the chance to use the services of a professional water or laser cutter for pretty cheap price. This will assure perfect dimensioning and precise cutting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N46B20 E90.jpg (80.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: Supercharging BMW E90 N46B20 320i 4cyl

Now I am looking for a solution to the sequential additional injection, but it will be very difficult for realization, as far as I could visualize it in my head.
First the manifold is plastic and welding would be impossible, so I have to design something unusual using the strapping points for the manifold plastic cover(In the picture above this cover is removed, as well as I did it a while ago). If I manage to solve this problem I will be facing the space shortage between the manifold top and the engine bay lid (bonnet/hood). However a 45 degree boss install would save some valuable hight and finally it could be realized but there are a large amount of unknowns in this equation. :? :?
I will research the google images from cover to cover on this topic and hope soon to post some ideas for discussion.

I am happy to say that I really hit the JACKPOT by registering in this forum. Thank YOU!
P.S. a photo from realoem.com for reference to the manifold
Attached Images
File Type: png manifold_map_e90_n46.png (43.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by SlavPala4a; 12-12-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavPala4a View Post
Here is a sample picture of an E90 with the same engine as mine:
Either left or right side will be fine. The SC could be mounted horizontally, vertically or in any desired angle as far as the pulley aligns with the crank.
I will start with the mounting brackets, because if I cannot secure the SC in a way that NO belt slippage or damage occurs there will be no sense to continue on.
I have the chance to use the services of a professional water or laser cutter for pretty cheap price. This will assure perfect dimensioning and precise cutting.
Well, if you have access to a sheet meter cutter, the choice is limitless. I suggest putting the the side without exhaust pipes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

as secondary injector only comes on under boost, the mass air airflow in the runners is also supersonic, you can place the injector anywhere along the runner. I belive the plastic used for the manifold is made of hard plactic, drill and tap and could be a solution.

Dod the E90 engine at some point used a cast metal manifold? Worth looking through history.
Old 14-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Smile Re: Supercharging BMW E90 N46B20 320i 4cyl

Ok so I am planning on using one Warer Methanol(actually Ethanol but I am still reading on this topic) nozzle and what could you suggest me for the FUEL Injection? Should I have FUEL injector in every runner or something different? If you could refer me to a link or just anything...
The best position for the Water Injection nozzle is between SC an Throttle Body, isn't it?
I am waiting for a EFI book which will give me some more knowledge on how to crunch the numbers for the injectors.
I will keep you updated.
P.S. I have just bought a MAP + pigtail for making MF2 driver to produce a 3D fuel map.
***The MAP photo is a sample photo found in google, because I am still waiting to be shipped but it is the same genuine GM 3bar Map sensor + weather connector
*****Interesting write up on the GM MAP topic which somebody could find useful:
http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/mapsensor.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MF2.JPG (34.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Gm_3bar_Map_sensor_pigtail.jpg (97.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by SlavPala4a; 14-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Cool Re: Supercharging BMW E90 N46B20 320i 4cyl

Better Photos of the Intake Manifold from different angles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake Manifold n46b20 320i 002.jpg (32.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Intake Manifold n46b20 320i 001.jpg (30.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg OEM map e90 n46b20 closeup.jpg (34.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 15-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Howerton Engineering

Sorry I am jumping in here late and only skimmed the thread. You mentioned you do not have a typical TB, that it is half open at idle. How do you plan to throttle the SC? If you pick a ratio to produce boost at WOT, then that is the permanent drive ratio. Unless you have a way to "choke" the SC, it will try to make boost all the time.

Maybe I missed something and am off-base, maybe this has been sorted already?
Old 15-12-2010, 09:41 AM

There is a TB which in my case is called Valvetronic. Valvetronic is controlled generally by the DME(ECU) via several sensors. I will post later the technical information about the DISA and Valvetronic systems in my engine.
I was telling that the usual TB which is fastened to the Intake Manifold inlet works as a normal TB only when there is an error in the valvetronic control.
I am also selecting some of the most important information about the Mercedes's system which I am going to post later today.
See you

Tags
bmw, e90, fuel, mf2, supercharger