waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 24-07-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Fuel Injectors as Water/Meth Injectors

Hi,

I'm looking to design a water injection kit using a high pressure fuel pump, some top feed fuel injectors with an rx7 lower fuel rail. My only question is how much flow do i need. I see some people using nozzles rated at 6 - 8 lbs per min for their injection systems. But about the smallest injectors i have lying around are 19 lbs. Will this be too much? If so I will need a way to adjust injector duty cycle...which i think is very doable.

BTW I am building this system for a turbocharged 4g63 2.0 liter running 20-23psi of boost on pump gas and would like to run 50/50 water meth.

TIA!
Old 25-07-2005, 02:56 AM

I had the very same idea, and I don't think it would be a problem if you had a method to control the injection. My plan was to use the staged injector setup of Megasquirt to control it as extra fuel. With the ability to control injector duty cycles, there shouldn't be a problem with injector sizing as long as it's reasonable.

The problem, however, with using them for a meth system is corrosion. As far as I know, the whole system that you use for the meth injection has to be designed for alcohol (ie, you can't just use normal injectors, you'd have to get injectors designed for alcohol). Otherwise you'd probably encounter problems with corrosion.
Old 25-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Fuel Injectors as Water/Meth Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by unior
I'm looking to design a water injection kit using a high pressure fuel pump, some top feed fuel injectors with an rx7 ...
RB Racing tried it years ago and found lots of corrosion, very quickly.

What makes you think that fuel pumps or injectors are happy pushing water? :?:

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 26-07-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Fuel Injectors as Water/Meth Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
Quote:
Originally Posted by unior
I'm looking to design a water injection kit using a high pressure fuel pump, some top feed fuel injectors with an rx7 ...
RB Racing tried it years ago and found lots of corrosion, very quickly.

What makes you think that fuel pumps or injectors are happy pushing water? :?:
eh just a friends crazy idea

so i should stick to fuel oil burner injectors? lol - what i'm confused with is how large to size them

2.0 turbo ~300-350 crank hp
Old 26-07-2005, 02:17 AM

You can buy corrosion inhibitor for radiators cheaply. I'm planning on trying a similar setup with a little corrosion inhibitor added to the water. The parts I need for my prototype should arrive by the end of the week.

If it works, it will be a nice, cheap system with full mapping capability.
Old 27-07-2005, 12:25 AM

well i gave up and bought a solenoid and a 6.3gpm mister nozzle from mcmastercarr last night :lol:
Old 29-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben wilson
You can buy corrosion inhibitor for radiators cheaply. I'm planning on trying a similar setup with a little corrosion inhibitor added to the water. The parts I need for my prototype should arrive by the end of the week.

If it works, it will be a nice, cheap system with full mapping capability.
Interesting! I totally hadn't thought about that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the specific gravity of fuel is less than that of water. So a an amount injected at certain flow rate at a certain pressure for fuel will be less than the amount injected if the fluid is water.
Old 30-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Measuring the delivery rate is easy - just have it squirting for a minute in a calibrated container.

It would be interesting to see if corrosion inhibitors do help a fuel pump and injectors push water. Hadn't thought of that

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 31-07-2005, 11:49 PM

Got the control curcuit built up last night, the FPR should arrive this afternoon, hopefully, I'll have it in prototype state by next weekend..
Old 01-08-2005, 11:19 PM

Here is the build of the control curcuit, it all came from a local electronics shop in kit form www.jaycar.com.au

I'm using a Pulse Width Adjuster to control the duty cycle of my injectors.

Here is the initial board build up:

I've also built a duty cycle counter/generator just to make it easier to bench test it all.

For a quick demo of the adjustability, I took these two pics:

In this one, the engine is at 41% duty (LED display), and the adjustment for this duty cycle range is set to +16 units, which results in an injector duty cycle of 54.8% (multimeter).

By changing the settings on the adjuster to -28 units, I've altered the output of the device to 20.2%.

This give me a lot more adjustability than I really need, and it's fairly cheap and simple (but, you have to build it yourself)....

I could probably use a megasquirt for the same functionality, but, I really like the way this is indexed to the fuel injector duty cycle, this way I just need to work out the percentages, then whatever tuning changes are made to the engine, the water follows.