waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Avoiding Disaster

Old 15-10-2003, 12:07 PM

Default Maintain your system!

First post in this forum!

Best advice I can give, based on my experience, is make sure you maintain your water/alky injection system. Check for leaks, crud buildup, etc..and most important, keep an eye on your pump. If it fails, and you're running high boost and timing, you'll be replacing head gaskets shortly, or worse.

I blew my head gaskets this year due to a faulty pump.
Old 16-10-2003, 09:06 PM
pbonsalb

I am hesitant still to tune to the limits using water injection. I use it to push the envelope just slightly, and listen carefully for ping. I have experienced clogging with my Aquamist nozzles using washer fluid. Despite the 100 psi pressure, they can clog substantially. I have soaked them in vinegar before.

Philip Bradley
Old 17-10-2003, 02:26 AM

To date I haven't had too many issues with Aquamist clogging, but you certainly shouldn't neglect them. As for tuning to the limit, thats what this stuff is for baby! 28-30 psi boost in my Grand National! The car is just a different animal at that level. 15 psi doesn't even feel like you're awake.
I do take precautions though..I'm constantly monitoring EGT and Knock and Spark Retard.
Old 17-10-2003, 08:32 PM

There are a few points most forums forget to mention, Aquamist has produced a range of cost effective solution of monitoring a blocked jet.

The flow sensor has switched output to drive a relay to lower boost or even cutting ignition if needed.

Apart from System1s and 2c, other systems have in-built water jet monitoring circuitry.
Old 19-11-2003, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
I am hesitant still to tune to the limits using water injection. I use it to push the envelope just slightly, and listen carefully for ping. I have experienced clogging with my Aquamist nozzles using washer fluid. Despite the 100 psi pressure, they can clog substantially. I have soaked them in vinegar before.

Philip Bradley
Was the clogging due to buildup or do you think some large particulate got by the filter? I wonder if as a preventative measure its worth removing the nozzles every 2 oil changes and soaking them in vinegar or equivalent.

What other aquamist components are likely to fail other than the pump? HSV? pressure switches? I don't know about you, but I put a cheapo mechanical water gauge in my cabin to watch the water pressure upto the HSV. If the pump craps out, my accumulator will be able provide temporary flow, but I will notice my pressure not re-charging and know something is amiss before any real damage can occur. Plus its fun to watch when WI engages.
Old 19-11-2003, 10:43 PM

I do not know what was responsible for the blockage, but it has happened regularly. You cannot get all the way into the nozzles. I took them apart but found nothing big. I do have the filter in place. I suspect it was some sort of scaling. I use only blue washer fluid. The vinegar helped.

I just ordered an FiA2, which should help me monitor the flow and can trigger a boost reduction. I have a knock sensor monitor installed as well, so I can see if the engine is pinging.

Philip Bradley
Old 20-11-2003, 12:28 AM

Note that while many have used the washer fluid in many setups successfully for long periods - Aquamist does not recommend it.

Especially with the smaller jets it is possible for the heat to cake the detergent as it evaporates off the water and methanol.

Washer fluid can increase the amount of maintenance needed to keep the jets flowing properly.
Old 20-11-2003, 05:47 PM

I didn't realize Aquamist doesn't recommend washer fluid. Its a matter of convenience for me, since my car is daily driven and used for long road trips. I wonder if there is a mixture I can use to safely inject that will at the same time dissolve the detergent build up...
Old 20-11-2003, 08:28 PM

To my knowledge ERL does not say one way or the other regarding washer fluid. They don't say not to use it or to use it. That is what I mean by they don't recommend using it - if that makes sense.

Some have used it for long terms with no ill effects, others have experienced clogging at unusual frequencies. Personally I have used straight water and water/methanol mixes with no detergent with no ill effects. I not only realize but fully appreciate that straight water in a windshield resevior is useless for cleaning the windshield it just smears everything. I still cannot recommend wash fluid but if it is used I would recommend diluting it with distilled water and methanol. Just make sure you don't exceed 50% methanol.
Old 21-11-2003, 08:48 AM

I think I'd rather have a filter clog up than a nozzle. Has anyone looked into particulate filters to be placed inline? What is the orifice size in the typical nozzle? If you have a good filter that will trap that size or larger, you should protect your system alot more.