waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Water/Methanol database on specific model of cars > Your one-stop search for water/methanol injected cars

Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Default 04 STI

Hello all,
After reading MANY posts on this board and Richards contributions on NASIOC (the national Subaru board), I wanted to ask what people recommended.

I have a 04 STI with the usual goodies, ie. Full turboback, headers/uppipe and intake. I use the Hydra to control everything but boost, for which I use a manual TurboSmart controller. I have a Aquamist 2s system sitting in my basement waiting for Phil of Element Tuning to finish his interface to the Hydra.

My question is two fold: What size injector to use and placement. Since I only have one controller for it, I presume that I would want to put the injector in the silicon hose that goes from the intercooler to the manifold. I have been reading the posts about pre-turbo injection and that seems like a nice alternative as well. It does seem to reduce IC efficiency though. I will be hopefully priming the Aquamist using the 12L JDM tank in the trunk.

I am still on the stock turbo for now, but have been looking at both Phil's offering (GT35R) and the Superzilla. I have modified stock injectors to go in with the new turbo as well. I presume that I will have to move up in injector size when I install these, correct?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Julian
WRB 04 STI: 97.73% Stock
More info here
Old 12-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Ok, updates to this car and notes:

So far I have the following installed and tuned:
* StaticX Grounding Kit
* XXTuning Headers and Uppipe
* Perrin Crank Pulley
* GodSpeed Downpipe
* GodSpeed Intake
* Borla Hush twin tipe axle-back
* Element Tuning Hydra ECU (Tuned by Phil Grabow of Element Tuning )
* TurboSmart Manual Boost Controller (probably going to switch to Hydra internal after EBCS install)

I have everything below but the turbo, which should be here in a month or so:
* Aquamist 2s
* Perrin EBCS
* TurboXS FMIC
* Perrin modified injectors (Sent them 8/2/05, should be back soon)
* SuperZilla with 55lb wheel

I'm just waiting on the Hydra <-> Aquamist interface and then I should be ready to start my WI fun.

Right now, I'm looking at installing the FMIC and EBCS next weekend (Aug 20th) and the injectors possibly as well. I'm really trying to hold off on putting the 2s in there till I get the interface box to my Hydra from Phil.

Right now I am debating where to put the jets for the Aquamist system. My friends and I have been in a discussion about this for some time and recently Richard's pre-turbo injection has caught my eye. Might thought is to have two jets, one pre-trubo and one post IC. Anyone else doing this? What size jets are you using?

I had thought about using the largest jet I could (1) for the pre-trubo and post IC, but I think that I might change to .7's since I want to retain a nice pattern even at low spray rates.

Any comments are welcome
Julian (Sabre)
More info here
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Oh, BTW, I'll post full pic's of the install after it's all done
More info here
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I saw the picture of the SuperZilla turbo - wow.

I think the current issure with the aquamist/hydra is the relay contact resistance. It didn't appear the ground the map switch pin properly. I have sent Phil another junction box and see if it make any difference.

A real mystery to solve.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
I saw the picture of the SuperZilla turbo - wow.

I think the current issure with the aquamist/hydra is the relay contact resistance. It didn't appear the ground the map switch pin properly. I have sent Phil another junction box and see if it make any difference.

A real mystery to solve.
So when the fault is tripped on the Aquamist system, I presume that it is grounding a wire on the Hydra then? Was it a matter of grounding the wrong pin or the relay having trouble getting it to true ground? The Electrical Engineer in me would be very willing to help
More info here
Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

It appeared to work when he used a separate piece of ground wire.

He also measured the DDS3s relay contact to ground, only a few ohms, I think a few ohms is good enough for most low current signals, anyway, we shall see the new junction box with a new relay.

Most micro input is about 2.5v (5v supply), even with TTL at 0.8V, a few ohms is still considered to be a good ground. Anyway - he will receive the box soon.

It is the most simplest of things that causes the most problem. How far are you away from him (distance wise)?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
It is the most simplest of things that causes the most problem. How far are you away from him (distance wise)?
About 30 minutes or so

Very odd on the Hydra not detecting the ground. What is the DDS3 grounded to vs. the relay? Even if the resistance is about the same, you'll have varying grounds depending on what else is grounded to that point. Just some thoughts
More info here
Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 AM

Just posting up an update

I had my car tuned by Phil from Element about 2 weeks ago. The gas tune is great and now I am really looking forward to the WI part of this project!
This is the current setup:
# GT Spec II Headers and Uppipe(Coated in Black Satin)
# Perrin Crank Pulley
# Daddy's SCP downpipe with devorced wastegate and high flow cat (Coated in Black Satin)
# TurboXS Intake (Replaced GodSpeed Intake)
# Borla Hush twin tip axle-back
# Element Tuning Hydra ECU
# TurboXS FMIC (Pipes coated in Black Satin)
# JDM 12L tank for the Aquamist system
# SuperZilla with 55lbs wheel
# Perrin modified injectors (Flowing 830 on the low end and 846 on the high end)
# Aquamist DDS3
# TurboSmart E-boost 2

I'm running 18PSI on my going around town setting of the E-boost2 and 22.5 PSI on my track boost (80% IDC's).

Right now I'm planning on a 2 stage injection. A .7mm jet to come on at 10PSI and a 1mm jet that will be varied by the Hydra according to boost. I have thought about doing pre-turbo injection for the 10PSI jet, but am not convinced yet that it won't eat my turbine!
More info here
Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 AM

Oh, forgot this: The DDS3 is physically installed and some wires have been run. The line from the tank in the back to the pumps up front needs to be done too. I'm not in too much of a hurry since I'm waiting for the Hydra<->Aquamist interface
More info here