waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 30-11-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Novice: Advice on current setup

A little background. I am a newly registered member though I have been reading this site for some time.. I have a turboed car which currently has a WI system installed on it by the company who manufactured and installed the turbo kit.. I wanted to hear what you guys thought about the current setup and what could be done to improve it. I honestly don't even know if the various components provided are appropriate. I couldn't find any specific information on the pump or nozzle for instance.

Specifics:
2002 Nissan SER Spec-V
2.5L Turbocharged with a GT28RS running 6.5psi of boost
Last dyno made 260whp and 260ft/tq with A/F in the mid-high 11s.
(Engine known to have weak rods so tuned very rich)
Water injection installed by PTi in Canada with nozzle about 6" from TB.
Water injection has a toggle switch in the car to disable/enable function.
GOAL: Increase boost 2-3lbs with increase in fuel and running the WI at the higher boost setting to lower risk of detonation.

Pics of system:
Pump and tank in trunk:

Water line to intake tube just before throttle body - that box with the yellow wire is run to a hobb switch attached to the firewall (not seen in picture):

Old 30-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Welcome to the WI forum.

The pisture you posted is rather large and will be very difficult to read the text contents. Any change of resizing it to about 800 x 600 -ish pixels?

I think the system is basically an on/off WI system based on the compoent you shown, water is injected when the solenoid valve energises. During the idle period, the pump is shut-off automatically by a demand switch installed in the front of the pump.

On activation, the pump will buck pretty violently due to the water jet is relately small. At low flow the demand switch is very active in switch the pump on and off.

Thats is all I can make out from the picture. With know the pressure of the pump and nozzle size. It looks like the company is using one of our 0.4mm jet but the picture was a bit blurred.

Richard
Old 30-11-2005, 07:04 PM

not W.I. related, but I can't help noticing that air filter next to the firewall.
Kinda hot location for an exposed filter, isn't it? :wink:

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 30-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the responses..

Sorry about the picture size, I am not sure how to go about resizing them..

As for the system it has an arm switch, which activates a yellow light on the dash. When the nozzle is spraying a green light beside it illuminates. So like you said it is basically an on demand setup.

How do you know the nozzle size is 0.4mm? I am assuming for the very minimal I need form this system that nozzle size is appropriate. I have never really noticed the pump shanking but I will watch for it.

As for the filter - my engine bay is pretty cramped but that seems to be the best place I have found for it without going to a setup where the filter would be vulnerable to water on the roads..

Any more input?
Old 30-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

kAV,

I have done it for you. Without a clearer picture of the water jet, I cannot be sure.

Richard
Old 02-12-2005, 09:59 PM

UPDATE:

Got a email from the company that did the car.

"I use the aquamist nozzles??..the one you have is about 150cc if I remember???..real small. You usually need about 380-420cc with alcohol for about 300whp. "

What do you think? And where is the best place to get the bigger aquamist nozzle?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

It you are using a bigger nozzle, you trigger point with be tricky to set up. You may experience booggy down at low load.

I am surtprised that the comany suggest making such a big jump of delivery change.

Aquamist do not make a nozzle that flows 380-420 cc./min. But you can use two nozzles - 0.6mm x2, exact size will depend on the pump pressure, which is unknown to me.

Richard
Old 03-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

It you are using a bigger nozzle, you trigger point with be tricky to set up. You may experience bogging down at low load.

I am surprised that the comany suggest making such a big jump of delivery change.

Aquamist do not make a nozzle that flows 380-420 cc./min. But you can use two nozzles - 0.6mm x2, exact size will depend on the pump pressure, which is unknown to me. I suggest you to continue to persuit the company with their suggestion.

Richard
Old 03-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Is there a way to figure out the pump pressure without sticking a gauge inline?

Also do you think the 0.4mm nozzle will be enough for my goals?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAV
Is there a way to figure out the pump pressure without sticking a gauge inline?

Also do you think the 0.4mm nozzle will be enough for my goals?
I don't think I can find a way to measure pressure without a guage. Do you not get any help from your supplier?

I suggest taking the 0.4mm water jet out and measure the water volume afor one minute, from there, I may be able to tell you the approximate pressure.

Richard