waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 30-04-2016, 09:09 PM

Default Re: BMW N55 electronic wastegate

Hi Richard, do you have any new development for the integration/connection with JB4 and the HFS 4 for the S55 motor?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docalex1 View Post
Hi Richard, do you have any new development for the integration/connection with JB4 and the HFS 4 for the S55 motor?
The failsafe options of the Aquamist system has been the same over the last 6 years. It comprises the following outputs:

1. Change-over relay output
2. Analogue output of the flow sensor
3. Frequency output of the flow sensor
4. Digital map-switch output

Anyone of the above output can be used on any third party ECU, including the JB4 piggyback. mechanical or electronic wastegate.

Our biggest problem with the JB4's failsafe input, both in "ever changing pin number" and signal levels. It is not easy for me to publish a wiring diagram that will work consistently with the JBS/s55 setup.

Secondly, JB4 failsafe algorithm relies on monitoring the pump current instead of the actual fluid flow. For this reason, I cannot guarantee if the JB4 have the programming capability of taking full advantage of the progressive flow output or the others from the Aquamist systems.

Finally, JB4's meth control is not progressive, it is either "ON" or "OFF". This is true from my recent visit to their site. It reads:

All kits integrate with the JB4 tuning system using the included FSB controller which allows for precise methanol solenoid mapping based on boost, throttle position, RPM, air intake temperature, advance, and other data elements available to the JB4 through its CANbus system. In addition the FSB feeds back an independent signal with pump loading and flow information allowing for safe and smooth progressive boost mapping. If the tank runs empty or flow drops for any reason the JB4 will safely back down performance to avoid knock. In addition methanol can be activated or disabled from the drivers seat and displayed in dash using your steering wheel control menu.

Unless you read the above description carefully, it didn't actually say the meth flow is "progressive". But "sounded" like it is. In reality, the meth flow stays 100% "ON" and boost is dancing around it.

I really think you should use the in-built aquamist failsafe, reading the real time fluid flow signal from a turbine flow sensor rather from a "make-shift" JB4 integration or from a "haphazard" pump current signal (FSB). It offers No added advantage, but loosing the "over-temperature", "overboost" options (HFS-4v3+).

Apologise for the long explanations. I cannot think of another way to do this.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

The following F80 s55 wiring diagram have just been updated, includes some guide to JB4, but the detail and configuration will have to be confirmed by BMS.

It also give you the choice of using aquamist's failsafe.

Old 19-05-2016, 12:12 AM

Hi Richard,

I'm looking to install my HFS3 kit on a 2014 m135i with EWG and JB4.

There is so much information out there from yourself and also from BMS it's a little confusing to say the least. Each say the others failsafe is not as good as the other and it leaves the end customer feeling frustrated. I hope you can help with a clear answer to some questions I - and hopefully many others - will find really useful when it comes to making a decision to purchase he Aquamist kit and making the install easier.

The JB4 offers a map3 for methanol injection. I plan to use this to run more boost and would like to spray the meth mix when on this map only.

There may be times when I'm traveling with the car and I don't have access to meth. I don't want me running out of meth to effectively render the car useless and run at hugely reduced boost level.

If for whatever reason there is a no or low flow situation I would like boost to be reduced when using this map only. If I have the aquamist gauge turned off - which I understand will stop the flow of meth I would still like to run a normal boost level when on another map (map6 in the case of the jb4).

So in essence I want to be able to run the car normally without meth if I choose to.

My understanding from what I've read is that I would be safe to use the Aquamist built in failsafe for this. I saw a promising conversation with an m235i owner about controlling the EWG on his car.

What would make more sense to me is to feed the flow information to the JB4, and allow it to pull boost if there is a problem. In your opinion is this a bad idea and why should using the Aquamist setup be more beneficial?

Finally, do you have a wiring diagram for the m135i EWG 2014?

If I can get all the information I plan to write a detailed post showing the install of this kit and integration with the jb4 if possible.

Last edited by mk1_salami; 19-05-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 22-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbu...ead.php?t=2713