waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 29-10-2003, 04:40 PM

[url to commercial site deleted, ed.]

[added image referenced]

The 2 wires at the bottom of the page I need more info on....ECU Drive wires. They goto the fuel injector wires then to the Hobbs pressure switch right?
Old 30-10-2003, 12:43 AM

What you are referring to as the hobbs switch I assume is the switch labeled as 5-8 bar switch in the picture. This switch is used for pressure management and is only attached to the pump switch. The line out the bottom is the water hose.

The two wires from the HSV are red and brown (you may have a green wire on the other side of the plug you have). The red goes to a constant 12v+ source. The brown is the driver wire and is connected to a pulsed ground - an injector driver. Check with the others using it on your make what they are using for the drive reference. Either report back on their use or invite them to join the forum!

There are some implementations where the injector manager is also monitoring the pressure switch circuitry and making comparisons for fault monitoring purposes but the HSV and the swtich circuits are not connected.

Note: I am trying to keep this site as commercial free as possible, while keeping it useful. See policies. Not a biggie still new and starting out. Obviously on implementation the need to discuss a brand of kit remains necessary but not a dealer of the brand.
Old 30-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Ed, sorry about that link.... :?

I will find out more info and report back.

Greg
Old 30-10-2003, 07:22 PM

Ed,

Basically all I need to know is where do the HSV wires goto? I have Red and Brown like you said, then it goes into a harness ====[ ]=====
and on the other side I have 2 cut wires, Brown and orange? Does the orange goto ground. Basically, I got the system to flow water, now I just need it to boost at a certain PSI. The hobbs pressure switch is after market.

Greg
Old 30-10-2003, 10:02 PM

Greg,

The switch on the manifold is there to turn the pump on and off to control the approximate pressure in the line.

If you have another switch as well then this is likely what your GTP brethren have been using to turn the water on and off. This is a different method of control than I have encountered before...

Theorectically you could connect the red wire from the hsv to a fused 12v+ source - I assume the orange wire on the other side of the harness is lined up with the red wire - so run the orange wire to a 12v+ source with a 3-5 amp fuse in line.

The brown wire is the driving wire. It does not sound like you or the ones that you know who are using it are using this as a variable flow system - rather they are using the pressure switch to merely open or close the hsv. If this is the case then the brown wire can be connected to the switch that has a pressure reference on one terminal and connect the other terminal to ground.

This set up will do the following things -

It will maintain pressure in the line at the setting on the manifold switch line pressure can be altered with the manifold switch setting.
It will open the valve and keep it open above the pressure switch setting.
It will close the valve and keep it closed below the pressure switch setting.
You will get a constant flow rate when the system is engaged - rather than a variable flow based on load that the 2c was intended for (but that would require some sort of electronic injector management). The effect of this is that with increased rpm you will actually be injecting less water into each intake stroke of the cylinders. This does not negate the effect of water injection it just limits it primarily to it intercooler effects and lessens some of the in cylinder effects as you get to higher rpms. As you know from your friends' use there is still benefit from this slightly limited implementation.

This will work I just have never done it before myself with the 2c - the 1s does the same thing with fewer components - though with the 1s the pressure is not maintained in the line when off and the pressure is not adjustable on the 1s.

If I get a chance I will redraw a layout for how to set this up based on the components you have.

Just to be clear, you have:

A pump
A manifold w/ a pressure switch on it
A normally opened switch connected to a pressure reference and two terminals
The high speed valve
An injection jet
Old 30-10-2003, 10:50 PM

YGM
Old 31-10-2003, 12:08 AM

I now understand what manner of "mapping" is being done.

Edits in red.

Provided there is no issue with two loads on your car's computer driving two injectors this would work. I do not know if that circuit would be sensitive to two injectors on it or not.
Old 31-10-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Splicing High Speed Valve into Stock Injector Harness

Perhaps someone could contact Brad Schaffner to ask him about this. It depends on the capabilities of the car's computer. The computer grounds the injector; the injector gets 12V constant. I have mine set up this way, but have wondered whether it is sound. Apparently, Brad now has some sort of new injector driver that is better. Its not the full computer, but I am not sure exactly what it is.

My car has low impedence injectors, but a computer with high impedence drivers. It uses a resistor pack to lower the current to the injectors. What I have done is tapped into the power before the resistor pack for the power to the high speed valve, and then tapped into an injector ground line for the high speed valve ground. While I can say that the computer has not failed yet, I cannot be sure that the fuel injector for which the ground line is tapped is functioning 100%. I assume it is, as the car seems to run fine. I figure that since the computer is capable of grounding a high impedence injector (since on non turbo models the same computer drive high impedence injectors), then there should be no problem grounding the low impedence injector and the high speed valve.

Philip Bradley