waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 15-02-2018, 12:28 AM

Default Need to rethink my HFS-4 setup - methanol difficult to source in California

Hey folks...

Long time no post.

Methanol is getting difficult to source here in California and I want to switch out to 100% distilled water from the supermarket.

Looking for feedback on how I re-implement this.

The engine is a 100% stock 3.6L VVT Pentastar in a Jeep wrangler with manual trans.

The blower is a TVS (a modern/more efficient roots style) and produces a peak, logged 10.01psi peak with the sprayer on at redline. I think i was logging ~9.25 or so with the sprayer off. It has an A/W IC.

Have been running the HFS-4 with MW50 now for a long time and it has been working well. I got some decent ignition timing advance and was running triggered on IDC vs MAP. I used IDC/MAP for a while but ended up back at IDC.

Based on the charts on the aquamist site, I will be going with a single .8mm and I plan to spray before an elbow leading immediately into the throttle body.

Questions:

Should I move the sprayer to after the TB? I might be able to barely fit one jet under the blower and IC but i don't think it will get very good distribution. This is why I am spraying before the blower.

In going with 100% water, I was also thinking to switch from IDC to MAP at least for setting the trigger point. Any feedback on how I should configure/reconfigure the HFS-4 for pure water?

Thanks in advance!

edit: p.s. I remembered that I need to switch out my restrictor and change the flow sensor solder jumper as part of this project as well.

Last edited by FI_Rubicon; 15-02-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Need to rethink my HFS-4 setup - methanol difficult to source in California

It seems historically that quite a few Americans run windscreen washer fluids

Depending on mix and quality available is that not an option for you ?
Old 18-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Need to rethink my HFS-4 setup - methanol difficult to source in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
It seems historically that quite a few Americans run windscreen washer fluids

Depending on mix and quality available is that not an option for you ?
Sure. It can be. Many of the windshield washer fluids out here, at least in California, have changed their blends and no longer use methanol.

Even if I could find a methanol based fluid here, it is probably just as difficult to find the Winter Blend.

The 20-10 Winter Boost Concentrate is an option at 70% methanol but that gets expensive.

I picked up a yellow bottle of Heet and they seem to have changed the formula. It is no longer clear and 100% methanol. The fluid is now yellow and smells a little like gasoline due to the additives now in it.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

is VP M1 still available?
Old 26-02-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
is VP M1 still available?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. Yes VP M1 is available here and I have actually used probably 4 pales of it (about 20 US gallons total) in addition to the Torco which I have used even more of. The Torco has been much more difficult to source.

The reason that it is no longer an option for me is that here in California the local VP fuels distributor for the region wants people to sign a form (including name, address phone number etc.) that explicitly lists every race that one would be using this racing fuel. It also states (and has one agree to the fact) that the fuel cannot be used on the highway or **even off road** unless it is an official race event of some kind.

I could lie on the form or just use distilled water.

Anyway, I have already performed the switch over and am still getting additional timing advance over and above what we got in the custom tune that I am running on 91 octane California pump gas.

Without going back into the tune on the device, I think I am getting something like 4 degrees, 6 degrees and 5 degrees of advance in the three RPM ranges that I have access to.

In other words, something like this at WOT:
1k-3.8k RPM range = +3 degrees
4k-4.8k RPM range = +5 degrees
5k-6.8k RPM range = +4 degrees

If I remember correctly (not sure where my notes are on it) I was getting something like the following when spraying MW50:

1k-3.8k RPM range = +6 degrees
4k-4.8k RPM range = +8 degrees
5k-6.8k RPM range = +7 degrees
Old 26-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Try the bio fuel people, they stock good grade of methanol and prices are very reasonable.

You are lucky. CA never goes below 0c.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:38 AM

I wouldn't worry about that paper. I signed it, I want my race fuels.

It's only an issue MAYBE if the company you bought it from gets raided by CARB, DOT or EPA.

Summit Racing and a few tuners have been raided by the EPA.

I really wouldn't worry about it and you can buy premixed from Gale Banks, that's where I got mine.
Old 14-05-2018, 03:06 PM

Long shot, but could you get an auto parts store to order winter washer fluid?