waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Default better spark ?

i have read here that lack of spark strength from oem coil systems is one of the main limiting factors preventing larger power gains from very high % water mixes

could something like this be a solution ?

http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_booster.htm

or is it a waste of time as the application is not up to the theory ?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Default Re: better spark ?

I recall one NACA paper where they tested research engine at various air/fuel ratios and water/fuel ratios with constant inlet pressure, temperature and spark advance. Between about 16-11 AFR, engine didn't lost any power compared with non-injected runs, even with 60% water to fuel ratio (by weight). It lost bit of power on the lean side and substantially more on the rich side of this range. FWIW I think they were using powerful magnetos so ignition energy is really essential.

Its not rocket science. Lean mixtures are hard to ignite because there is simply very small amount of combustible air/fuel mixture between spark-plug electrodes.

Rich mixture, and even more rich mixture with large amount of water, has large thermal capacity which absorbs heat between spark-plug electrodes and prohibits creation of plasma channel.

I?m not sure if Okada booster would be helpful in this situation, it exhibits multistrike discharge, I believe that its better to release all energy at once - CDI.
Old 14-10-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
i have read here that lack of spark strength from oem coil systems is one of the main limiting factors preventing larger power gains from very high % water mixes

could something like this be a solution ?

http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_booster.htm

or is it a waste of time as the application is not up to the theory ?
What car, engine etc ?

A lot of modern OEM coils are already very powerful and can handle lots of boost with ease.
Old 14-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
What car, engine etc ?

A lot of modern OEM coils are already very powerful and can handle lots of boost with ease.

R53 bmw supercharged mini, @ 270+ bhp
running about 18psi @ 5000 rpm from 20% reduced super charger pulley
on std internals BVH, 550 injectors, upgraded intercooler,

running above for 30k+ miles no issues apart from heat build up at prolonged high rpm

just started running 50/50 mix with hfs4 and 1mm jet

ive been advised by jeff that the mini likes lots of meth but aiming to run a bit more water as nervous with 100% meth in the trunk without a fuel cell
Old 15-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I read the link you posted on the ignition power amplifier.

I could be wrong the energy (area under the curve) appears to be only slightly more than the conventional. But if you calculate the power based on the peak current, it does appear to have several times more peak power. Not an expert on spark plugs.

That said, a cdi ignition system has far shorter duration but very high ionisation voltage. Someone please chime who knows more.