waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Aquamist HFS-3 system for 2010 ..... "Q and A"

I have a 2003 evo 8. Is it possible to run both the map switch and use the wiring to cut boost to wg for failsafe from a ebc. I want to use the map switching to change fuel maps but use my current ebc to control the boost level still instead of a seperate bcs. I assume that I can run both because I am not using boost control on my alternate map, but I want to make sure I would not fry the board lol. I plan to install a switch/led to allow me to continue to run high boost after changing maps. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by mt057; 11-10-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Howerton Engineering

The map switching and contacts for the WG solenoid are different circuits so I believe you can do both without issue.
Old 15-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
There has been some confusion on what type of direct injection signal the HFS-3 can read.

The HFS-3 will be only able to read directly injection signal if it is re-configured by aquamist or selected dealers. It the system is not ocnfigured properly, it will not work. For those of you who want configure the system yourselves (soldering iron required), please contact me at richard@aquamist.co.uk. I need to know the car model and year of manufacture.

It can all be done, but there isn't a "one size fits all" because there are so many types of direct injerction system around. This applies to diesel and gasoline engines.

Richard
Hi I'm looking for a WMI system for my mazda6 MPS mainly to keep things cool up top as I'm seeing some KR above 4500 rpm (stock tune, autoexe IC, remus catback, Q8 98 ron).

Considering the post above I would conclude that the HFS-3 is suited for DI petrol engines like the MZR DISI in my mazda? I believe I saw a scheme for the 3 MPS which has the same engine but a different ECU.

I've been looking around for WMI on the net and noticed that most manufacturers offer 200 - 250 psi pumps for "better atomization".
Aquamist offers pumps that deliver 150 psi. Is the increase in atomization between a 150 psi and 250 psi pump relevant or is this just marketing? Are there any downsides you guys know of when using a 150+ psi pump (inertia?).

Thanks
Old 15-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

It is unusual to see knock on on a relatively 98 ron fuel. Has your boost been turned up?

The HFS-3v2 (now shipping) has the ability to read all the Direct injested cars. Just contact me know and I will send you the information how to configure it for your car.

Apart from Aquamist, all makes of wmi system on the market is based on pump speed. A PPS (progressive pump speed) system relies on pressure to bridge its dymanic range. For example, to double the flow, you need to quadruple the pressure.

A wmi system often start as 50psi and ramp up to 200psi (standard trim). So the flow coverage can only serve a power change between 100 to 200bhp. Even at 250 psi, the converage only extends from 100-225bhp. (A little more).

Marketing do miss out soem facts. a PPS system does spray at 250 psi all the time. IN fact it rarely stay at this pressure unless you are at full boost all the time. A dairy drive with occasional burst of power means your average pressure is much less than 150psi.

The aquamist system sends pwm pulsed to an inline valve, similar to a fuel injector. Pressure is kept constant at 160psi. Regardless of low and high flow delivery, you get the same 160 psi pressure for atomisation.

To the contrary, the PPS system will suffer from lagging power transient response due to the mass of the rotating pump motor. Slow to ramp up and slow to stop (dribble). The aquamist system line is kept at 160psi at all time, it only takes a few thousandth of a second to reach full flow and stop spraying.

If you are interested, I will post some videos.
Old 18-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the answer. I think I found the vids you're refering to via the Howertone website. I understand what going on now, pretty niffty.

I'm still running the stock tune but I've been seeing some KR (0,4 - 3?) at WOT pulls past 4000 rpms (115 bar of fuel pressure, 1 bar of boost, AFR's below 11).

Went on holiday to Germany and as they don't have Q8 stations over there (have Q8-tankcard) I filled her up with Shell V-power racing (100 ron). I still got the knock countdowns (6? to 0? in ten secs) when cruising on the highway which I assume are just ECU callibrations, but I didn't have the WOT knock anymore which led me to conclude that while running the Q8 98 ron fuel my engine was more prone to knock.

I've read up on the HFS system some more and the HFS-2 setup might be better for me as I can still upgrade when I decide to up the boost later.
Old 18-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt057 View Post
I have a 2003 evo 8. Is it possible to run both the map switch and use the wiring to cut boost to wg for failsafe from a ebc. I want to use the map switching to change fuel maps but use my current ebc to control the boost level still instead of a seperate bcs. I assume that I can run both because I am not using boost control on my alternate map, but I want to make sure I would not fry the board lol. I plan to install a switch/led to allow me to continue to run high boost after changing maps. Thank you for your time.
- The map switch output is the orange wire of the grey harness
- The boost cut out is the brown (valve side) and white (EBC side) of the grey harness.
Old 18-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSdriver View Post
Thanks for the answer. I think I found the vids you're refering to via the Howertone website. I understand what going on now, pretty niffty.

I'm still running the stock tune but I've been seeing some KR (0,4 - 3?) at WOT pulls past 4000 rpms (115 bar of fuel pressure, 1 bar of boost, AFR's below 11).

Went on holiday to Germany and as they don't have Q8 stations over there (have Q8-tankcard) I filled her up with Shell V-power racing (100 ron). I still got the knock countdowns (6? to 0? in ten secs) when cruising on the highway which I assume are just ECU callibrations, but I didn't have the WOT knock anymore which led me to conclude that while running the Q8 98 ron fuel my engine was more prone to knock.

I've read up on the HFS system some more and the HFS-2 setup might be better for me as I can still upgrade when I decide to up the boost later.
Has your car been modified?
Old 19-10-2010, 07:52 AM

it has an upgraded TMIC (autoexe), a catback (remus) and a bpv (HKS). I wouldn't say it's highly modified The knock isn't audible btw I'm reading KR of my dashhawk.
Old 22-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Oh I see, I thought it was the OE log. Does the knock event confirmed by the OE log (if available)?
Old 25-10-2010, 09:40 AM

I don't know if I understand yr question correctly. But the dashawk reads some ECU parameters through the OBDII port. One of the parameters is knock retard.
I've owned the car for four years now and I've heard it knock about three times (=> highway driving and boosting in sixth gear = high load / low rpm => MZR DISI doesn't like). On every occasion the KR alert on the DH lit up so I figure when there is knock it is detected. However the DH also shows KR on occasions when there is no audible knock (e.g. part thorttle cruising or WOT). I'm not too worried about the part throttle knock, but I'm looking to fight the WOT knock with a WI-system.