waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Nitromethane

Hi richard, thankyou for your support.

The place locally is a R/C car/plane shop in Hitchin, Herts, the owner told me that most places have stopped dealing with it because of the insurance implications for storing nitromethane and methanol at the shop. He is only allowed a small quantity.
Health and safety risks also means that delivery can be expensive.

Methanol is easier, and he says it has been harder to get nitromethane, but he is still able to get it on special delivery.

I will be contacting him next week, and try and get more details, and I'll order some nitromethane :lol:

Interesting results here, of course liek alot of people I am concerned about safety of using this, but the feeling overall is that small amounts say up to 10% by volume methanol/water would be reasonable?

Joe
Old 04-02-2005, 11:06 AM

You know what else is scary...the thought of nitro igniting in my intake manifold. I'm kinda starting to have second thoughts. That nitro may be highly unstable with 20+ psi of warm, boosted air contacting a hot engine head. Its one thing to combust in the cylinder. Quite another to combust outside it.

Maybe I'll return that 30% nitro RC fuel and switch to the 5% nitro mix they had...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Nitromethane

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorfrag
Hi richard, thankyou for your support.

The place locally is a R/C car/plane shop in Hitchin, Herts, the owner told me that most places have stopped dealing with it because of the insurance implications for storing nitromethane and methanol at the shop. He is only allowed a small quantity.
Health and safety risks also means that delivery can be expensive.

Methanol is easier, and he says it has been harder to get nitromethane, but he is still able to get it on special delivery.

I will be contacting him next week, and try and get more details, and I'll order some nitromethane :lol:

Interesting results here, of course liek alot of people I am concerned about safety of using this, but the feeling overall is that small amounts say up to 10% by volume methanol/water would be reasonable?

Joe
Thanks for the update. I will get some and test our seals with it at up to 50% concentration - I think it is good enough - unlikely people with pump 100% nitro through the Aquamist pump.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: nitro mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
Quote:
An older book said Nitro should not be mixed with water and suggested
Campfer (spelling?) be used to stretch it if detonation was feared from
pure Nitro. Also suggested other nasty non burning liquid to mix it with.
If you burn Nitromethane will that make water like gasoline does?
They may have been refering to camphor ( a ketone C10 H16 O ) It is uses as a flavoring agent, in some medical preparations, and as a plasticizer in some explosives. A liquid form is also available -- called camphor oil

The products of combustion would include water, and nitrogen compounds.
Nitromethanes chemical formula is CH3 NO2, and I believe it burns to give carbon dioxide, water and nitric acid (or other nitrogen oxides) as its combustion products. The nitric acid giving it the extremely pungent odor characteristic of a nitro burning car.

My guess is the reaction would be:

1 ( CH3-NO2 ) + 2(O2) = HNO3 + CO2 + H2O

Larry
Isn't the nitromethane just a mixture of fuel and oxygen and burning is self supporting? Topfuel Drag car used neat nitromethane and it dumps about six times the amount than ordinary fuel - At this rate, there are little or no room in the combustion chamber to hold enough air (20% oxygen) to support the burn.

I have also spoken someone darg racing expert at the show, I think he said NM97%M3 with makethe engine run lean and NM93%M7 is what they use to fuel those 8000BHP engines.

I think for our little experiment here, mixing 20% neat nitromethane and 20% methanol 20/20/60 of NM/M/W should show some good power gains without causing too much drama.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 PM

Default nitro

Hello there is a product that has nitro in ist a product sold by www.snowperformance.net its called nitro booster it comes in a 16 ounce bottle I think its supposed to increase your horsepower by about 50 horsepower. I havnt tried the porduct but its supposed to be good. :roll:
Old 05-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubcnme
Hello there is a product that has nitro in ist a product sold by www.snowperformance.net its called nitro booster it comes in a 16 ounce bottle I think its supposed to increase your horsepower by about 50 horsepower. I havnt tried the porduct but its supposed to be good. :roll:
ubcnme, this is a nice find. This NitroBooster seems like it may be the ticket. I may order some to try out on my water injection set-up soon.
Old 23-02-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: nitro

ubcnme, this is a nice find. This NitroBooster seems like it may be the ticket. I may order some to try out on my water injection set-up soon.

I run a snow performance WMI system on my Ibiza Cupra 1.8T and was looking to get this stuff shipped across, where abouts are you located as we could split the costs. Shipping is a nightmare.

Custom remap by STAR PERFORMANCE
Old 24-02-2005, 06:22 AM

Default nitro booster

I live in the Island of Hawaii where do you live
Old 24-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: nitro booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubcnme
I live in the Island of Hawaii where do you live
Scotland.

Custom remap by STAR PERFORMANCE
Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 PM

I am quite interested in this nitromethane mix.

There is a small forum over at snowperformance.net and the folks there say that it will NOT mix with water, and that best bet is 50% methanol50%nitromethane (homemade from pure liquids)

That's with using an emulsifier, too.

So how come people here mix nitromethane with water so easily? :?

John

www.max-boost.co.uk