waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 21-12-2004, 04:09 PM

Hehe! It sounds interesting, but I'm a little conservative about fuel: gas in the car and alcohol and nitromethane in the models

By the way: next summer I want to try the WI and I have a couple of questions about the Aquamist system. Is it better to discuss this issue by email or can we stay on this topic?

It's about a LS1 engine (V8, 5.7 L). Stock it makes about 320 HP at the flyweel, with a non intercooled Vortech it's about 420 - 440 HP with 5 PSI of boost.
According to many sources 5 PSI is too low for water injection, still I don't like the extremely high temperatures I saw last summer...

Stefano

stefano.tenzi@dplanet.ch
Old 25-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Hydrogen peroxide contains around 20% of oxygen by weight when disassociated into water and oxygen, may be this can be used instead of oxygenated water. The oxygen content is more than Nitrous Oxide.

Handling H2O2 is a problem.
Old 25-12-2004, 03:36 PM

What is the reaction involve as a catalyst, to evolve 02 from it? I don't think you get O2 from misting h2o2.
Old 26-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
Hydrogen peroxide contains around 20% of oxygen by weight when disassociated into water and oxygen, may be this can be used instead of oxygenated water. The oxygen content is more than Nitrous Oxide.

Handling H2O2 is a problem.
I made a mistake, it contains nearly 50% of oxygen by weight.

The mixture decomposes to oxygen under heat. Under the influence of catalysis, it produces OH radicals - the start of all hydrocarbon chain reaction upon ignition and burn. It accelerates the fuel's burn-rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h202.com
H2O2 is one of the most powerful oxidizers known -- stronger than chlorine, chlorine dioxide, and potassium permanganate. And through catalysis, H2O2 can be converted into hydroxyl radicals (. OH) with reactivity second only to fluorine.

More properties here:
http://www.h2o2.com/intro/properties.html
Old 27-12-2004, 03:27 PM

Before exploring this further, one might ask, is it affordable? and safe to handle? What happens if you mix it with an alcohol? Does it eat rubber, etc.?

Seems some potential is there for an aux O2 source, but by itself does not appear to be a fuel source. If it can exist as a soluble medium in methanol and water, without reaction to another product (that would defeat the purpose) then an aqueous solution with H2O2 plus meth as a fuel, could be very promising for additional combustion energy, in an environment that limits air flow (all of our vehicles). But like the oxygenated meth idea, the question should be answered "is it an appreciable increase in O2 flow rate?" My first impression is possibly "yes". I am sure Hotrod is hard at work on this.

We should dig into this more.
Old 27-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Compared to Nitromethane, H2O2 is dirt cheap, it is manufactured in huge volumes.

Material compatibilities is a matter of digging in deep on internet search engines. Commercially, H2O2 is used widely in water process industries and distributed in plastics (mostly in polypropeylene). It is just a matter of time when someone come up with a system that will inject it into an engine.

We have experimented on it some six years ago but didn't continue due to lack of interest on water injection market. Things has changed in the recent years and we may restart the project again.
Old 28-12-2004, 10:31 PM

an excerpt from an interesting article:

"Unlike the drugstore version of hydrogen peroxide, which is about 97 percent water, the rocket-propulsion variety has just the opposite concentration -- 3 percent water and 97 percent hydrogen peroxide -- and it has had critical contaminants removed, Heister said.

This purified, concentrated form of H2O2 is broken down with chemical catalysts, yielding oxygen that combusts with alcohol-based fuels, such as methanol or ethanol, which can be derived from corn. Such a propulsion system would provide an inexpensive alternative to today's nonrenewable hydrocarbon fuels that are processed from crude oil, Heister said.

Breaking down peroxide not only would provide oxygen for combustion but also would produce steam, an important byproduct that could be used to run a turbine to generate electricity, Heister said.

Hydrogen peroxide has a history in aviation; for example, it was used in the German V-2 rocket and the experimental X-15 rocket plane."
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Default superoxygenated water/ methanol

Water already has oxygen in it.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: superoxygenated water/ methanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc
Water already has oxygen in it. HEAT it to release it. ..
Diamonds have lots of carbon in them, but we don't see any billionaire show-off using them in the fireplace. :wink:

I.e. getting pure oxygen and hydrogen from water might be a bit more involved than that

John

www.max-boost.co.uk
Old 05-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Default SUPEROXYGENED WATER/METHHANOL

The peak temp of combustion is about 2500F. Very few particals may reach 3600F.