waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 24-08-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Twin turbo and chargecooler

Hi all,

I have recently picked up a second hand Aquamist 1s, so I'm coming in at a low level here!

I have a 1967 Ford Anglia 105E, with a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 2.5 litre, twin turbo V6 engine, which from the factory has 276bhp.

Here's a shot of my engine bay:

Before each of the turbos (TD03), there is a small filter.

The chargecooler is mounted on top of the engine, and has two pre-radiators - a small one at the rear of the car, and a larger one in front of the coolant radiator at the very front of the car.

However, I don't think the chargecooler is big enough to take the heat out of the inlet air at high RPM and high boost (by "high boost" read around 1 bar for this engine), as the power drops off dramatically at higher RPM, so I am looking to install my 1s nozzle in the most useful place to counteract this.

I am not looking for massive power gains, but the peak power is currently 235bhp at 4800rpm, whereas it should be 276bhp at 6500rpm.

The places I can think of for the nozzle are:
  1. Before the turbos. I will need to get a second nozzle.
  2. At the Y where the two feeds join. This will cool the air before entering the chargecooler. It will need to go into the gap between the two smaller pipes, pointing towards the chargecooler.
  3. After the chargecooler. This will allow the chargecooler to do as much as it can, then I cool it further. Would this be best on the outlet of the chargecooler, on the silicone corner, or the aluminium joiner where the take-off for the dump valve is?

Space is very tight, so I'll need to also find somewhere suitable to secure the pump, and source a suitable container for the fluid!

Any advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Garry
Old 24-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Twin turbo and chargecooler

as a first step you might fit a bigger CC pump, e.g. a CWA50, two of the m in series or a CWA100 (Pierburg). A Bosch pump will only give you some 7l/min through a PWR barrel charge cooler and 19mm pipes. Maybe a tad more in a front install.
Have you measured air and water temperatures before and after the CC? without that it is hard to say where the bottle neck of the CC system is.

Regarding jets. If you can remap the car, I'd consider 6x direct port nozzles right behind the fuel injectors. Avoid any turns for the spray.
if you cannot remap, I'd consider pre-turbo 0.3mm or 0.4mm jets, one for each turbocharger. This will give you mainly charge cooling with litte condensation. Most of it will evaporate in the turbocharger.

i'd not do a single jet with that topography.
Old 24-08-2016, 02:32 PM

I've only just fitted the front mounted radiator. I had a dyno session which lasted over an hour prior to this, and there were 25 full-throttle 4th gear power runs during that time. The temperature of the coolant in the CC crept up to nearly 60 degrees during the session. A typical drive up the motorway would see it settle at around 42-45 degrees.

I will be adding some temperature sensors at inlet, post-turbo and post-chargecooler shortly and making a note of the air temperature at these points.

My re-mappable ECU failed during a write cycle so it is now bricked, so I am back to an earlier, non-mappable ECU at the moment. This is not a big-budget vehicle, and I will not be throwing money at it! I picked up a 1s for just £60 delivered when I saw it for sale, so I'd like to make best use of it - but if it will not do the job for my application, I will either shelve it, or sell it on again!
Old 24-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Please also measure the water temperature entering and exiting the CC. you need to do this while on the road at speed or on a dyno with a really powerful blower in front of the pre radiator.
Old 16-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotrex View Post
as a first step you might fit a bigger CC pump, e.g. a CWA50, two of the m in series or a CWA100 (Pierburg). A Bosch pump will only give you some 7l/min through a PWR barrel charge cooler and 19mm pipes. Maybe a tad more in a front install.
Where can you buy the CWA 100 pumps?
Old 16-10-2016, 04:07 PM

You can get them new from Mercedes. A0005000486
I have never seen a 2nd hand one.
The CWA50 are available as 2nd hand parts as they are common among BMWs such as the 550d, X5M;,X6M etc.
Old 16-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The CWA50 are available as 2nd hand parts as they are common among BMWs such as the 550d, X5M;,X6M etc.
Great Thanks
Old 27-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
Great Thanks

Any ideas on wiring up this pump? It has a 4 pin connector and a whole bunch of electronics in the end? I will just want the pump to run continuously at full speed?
Old 27-10-2016, 10:36 PM

Here is the pin-out.
Hi Rockthemullet

Thanks for the offer - can you tell us what is the pin-out on the CWA-100 / MB 0005000486?

Should be
1. Chassis ground
2. Control return
3. Control
4. 12V

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/4...w-about-5.html

To let it run at 100%, just connect 12V also to the control pin. To confirm, measure if pin 1 is connected to the pump housing ground.

See:
http://webpages.charter.net/n8nxf/EV...ant%20Pump.pdf
Old 28-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Thanks, that's a great help and plenty of other useful info as well