waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 26-11-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Second issue with power to gauge

Hi guys. I had issues with the gauge losing power and then it coming back on after 1-2 seconds back in July I believe. I communicated with jeff h. about the issue and after checking connections he had me put some slack in the grey power cord coming from the controller. This remedied the issue and everything worked great for 3-4 months but now the gauge will lose power for just a split second every so often. It'll flicker off and on again almost so quickly that you imagine it happened. However, it's done it a couple of times in a row and will just randomly do it 3-4 times during a 20 minute drive.

Kinda worried as this is the second issue like this that I had with the gauge's power. However, instead of staying off for 2-3 seconds like before, it just flickers off and on. Had all the connections checked before when I had the orignial issue and was told that everything was good. Jiggling the connector at the controller does not cause any disturbance.

Any help would be appreciated. Worries me to death.

thanks

Last edited by Raceready; 28-11-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Mis-spellings
Old 29-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Second issue with power to gauge

Can you tell me the version number of the controller (bottom left lebel on the controller board), I presume it is a HFS-6?

Richard
Old 29-11-2010, 03:18 PM

I will check the controller version today and post back, Richard. It was raining a lot and very wet out the days I noticed the flickering. The past 2 days have been dry and sunny with temps in the mid 40's to mid 50's and I haven't seen it flicker. Could moisture be playing a role in the issue?
Old 29-11-2010, 09:04 PM

The top of the controller has a label affixed which reads 'HFS3-PWM'. The lower left corner has the letters 'ERL'. On the side of the controller is a label with 'SN 10003'. Those are the only markings I could find. I bought the kit during the HFS-3 group buy early in the year if that gives you more information.

Last edited by Raceready; 29-11-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Info added
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 AM

So, haven't heard back. Should I just ignore this issue until it returns? Would like to have a permanent solution instead od just addressing the symptoms of perhaps an underlying problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I think the problem may have something to do with the moisture in the air condensing onto the circuit board. There are very little heat generated from the box so putting the entire assembly in a plastioc bad may help. If you have WD40, give it a quick squirt (underside of the circuit board).

I have not heard this problem before from problem generated by the controller circuitry. Howerever, I have had report of this problem... mainly due to the RJ connector partially backing out when the latch tap is not full un-sprung. You can gently over stretch the latching tap, not so much so that you break it.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll stretch the latch tab a bit. The issue hasn't returned since my first post.
Old 19-01-2011, 01:46 AM

I am now having this exact same issue with the gauge flicking on and off rapidly and the B (boost) light flickering on and off. I have checked the power supply and grounds to the pump and the gauge and both are getting perfect continuity. I have noticed when ever i turn on my air conditioning it triggers the fail safe also and the yellow light turns on for about 2 secs.

So I will try the tab to the connecter and spray some WD40 on the bottom of the board tonight and see if this fixes the issue.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I wonder if you have connected ther red wire from the grey connector to the wrong side of the fuel injector resistor pack. It should be on the relay side of the resistor rather the fuel injector side.

All USDM evo has a resistor pack in series with the fuel injector. Please check this for me.

Old 20-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Just thinking... I have removed the resistor pack as I am now running high imp 1000cc injectors. Would this cause a problem in the operation of the WMI system ?