waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 29-03-2012, 05:42 AM

Default e85+WI

Recently made the switch to e85 as a fuel source. Of course I got upgraded injectors and a Diablosport tuning device with a proper tune to do so. WOT the car is a beast on e85.
I still have my CMGS2 kit installed but I have it setup so it will not kick on. I have a VP Methanol/Distilled water mix in the tank right now that has been sitting in there over winter time. I am thinking about getting that mix out and running just water for the extra cooling capabilities. Alcohol might do a great job of cooling because it has such a low boiling temperature and forces itself to vaporize at low temps, causing it to negate a lot of heat, but water still does it better. Alcohol doesn't have a very high specific heat, therefor it can't remove nearly as much heat from the air as water can.

Ethanol has a specific heat of ~0.6 cal/g ?C while water has a specific heat of 1.0 cal/g ?C. Water has the second highest specific heat of any known substance, meaning it can absorb a LOT of heat without altering its own temperature very much. Water also has a VERY high heat of vaporization, meaning that it absorbs an incredible amount of heat when it changes from a liquid into a gas. Ethanol has a heat of vaporization of 841 kJ per kg. Water has a heat of vaporization of 2257 kJ per kg. So when you inject water into the cylinder, it absorbs more heat as a liquid than ethanol, and MUCH more heat as it becomes a gas than ethanol does.

This makes water a much better coolant than the Ethanol in the cylinder. You just have to remember to set your water injection to not come on until at least ~8 PSI or so otherwise you'll cause the ethanol to burn too slowly from dilution and overcooling. Hell maybe even have it set at 10psi or so since boost comes on so fast with S3.

ts only for circumstancial cases where the extra cooling power is needed more than the knock-prevention benefits, such as with the stock SRT-4 pistons. The high silicon content in them causes them to be very hard yet prone to cracking under extreme heat. I'm sure that E85 wouldn't have any problems keeping them cool enough to survive at ~500+ HP, but the water helps ensure that they remain cool at all times, and so you can even further increase the timing to allow for optimal tuning without any worry of heat.

Is it really needed? Probably not, but theres no wrong in going with pure water and E85. Methanol is a bit of a waste, since a huge majority of the benefits will be provided by the E85 you're running.

Any input on running e85 and spraying water for extra cooling? Lower EGTS perhaps? Any other benefits or drawbacks with this combo?
Thanks!