waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 13-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Smart injection

Any time from 9-9:30am It is a long drive. I will some coffe for you when you arrive.

It will be fun tomorrow.
Old 13-02-2013, 09:13 PM

Cheers Richard, really looking forward to it.

Lucian
Old 13-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Seeing as the aquamist is working correctly except the cycling pump, I thought why not activate the pump manually temporarily by wiring the relay to a switch? In doing so I learnt that it is the ground side of the circuit that is cycling. By installing a switched ground I stopped the cycling although it still runs full time without the switch. So with two jets I went for a spin. It took a little while do dial the settings in to stop bogging with the two nozzles as the map is completely wrong for this at the moment. I ended up putting the smallest restrictor in and ramping up the gain and threshold. I was able to hit maximum boost of 1.50 in the first 5 gears (5&6 are ridiculously long for economy, 6 is almost unusable in a stock Smart Fortwo), I have never been able to do this before!!! I could hit 1.49 in a couple of gears sometimes , It boggles the mind how good this will be when tuned. It is definitely running super rich in boost and I think I will be further amazed! Can't wait to see what the dyno says before and after tuning. It's running a lot cooler too, even with these minimal settings.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 13-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 13-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Interest how the engine react with a small amount of water.

Are you using 50% methanol or 100% water?
Old 13-02-2013, 11:13 PM

I am using 50/50 with your initial nozzle selection, perhaps straight/more water would be better without the remap as it must be very rich? I worry about ignition strength. I suppose best way to find out is try. Still it is pretty amazing to be able to richen it even further past what was optimal and yet still get better performance! It really is promising!

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 13-02-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Spent a fair amount of time with the car today. Have eventually track down the problem of the pump was pulsed on in time with the fuel injector. Nothing wrong with the system nor the wiring.

The injector (+12) is very noisy, source of the interference. We routed the switch 12V to the fuse box for the fix. Tuning and play time starts now.

I really like the car, will be looking out for one in the next few weeks. Very roomy for two. Perfect for my daily 3 mile commute to my office. Impressed.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:46 AM

Big Thanks to Richard for sorting my problems!

I got the tour, how fantastic that great cutting edge engineering and production is still going on in this country, just another reason in a long list that I'm glad I went Aquamist!

The car is a different beast, even better on the way home with the gain re-adjusted, I can't believe the drop in intake temps!!!

Engine doesn't get over 82 degrees no matter how hard I tried, I can usually get it into the mid 90's on a long hard run in no time at all, particularly uphill (Iv'e hit 100+ on a hot day).

No ignition problems so far either, even when I ran out on the way home and added a liter of deionised water, probably giving me a 30/70 Meth/water mix.

Things can only get better with tuning.

A great day, thanks again,

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 15-02-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 15-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Good morning.

I gathered you have a great drive home, not too bad on the M25. What time did you actually arrived home?

I will redraw the wiring diagram and change the +12V pick up from a switched positive in the fuse box. That was a difficult one to diagnose. Wish they use thicker wire for the injector (+) to minimise the voltage fluctuation every time the injectors fires.

It is good to know at W70/M30. the engine did not big down. I think the next stage will be lowering the threshold a tad for earlier cooling.
Old 15-02-2013, 09:32 AM

High Richard,
I did adjust the threshold a little, but I think you are right and it could go lower! I will send you the ECU pin numbers and wire colours as they relate to this on the Smart for your diagram, know that I know what they are, lol.

Cheers!
Old 15-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

You will not over inject at low load as the system mirrors the fuel flow. The next state of play is introducing the manifold pressure signal to the water/meth flow. It is an under board solder modification. But meanwhile get to know the system

ECU pin out will be very handy. Thank you.