waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 20-01-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Smart injection

It is very exciting as I know of no other car with it and I've seen a lot of Smarts, and if it has been done I doubt it has been done properly!

As you say it seems the perfect candidate.

There is a fanatical Smart Roadster community out there and if it works out it may well generate some interest and also with the serious fortwo modders. (I have a Roadster too but I prefer the little fortwo, 100kg lighter, lol).

The car will be going to Smart Times in Switzerland this year, as it went to the one in Antwerp last year, over 1140 were in the parade, lol.

I have seen some intrest on a forum in injection for the very similar 800ccTDI they made.

I have ordered a Brabus 101 wastegate acctuator, it has a stronger spring and allows overboosting beyond 1.5bar (with ECU adjustments). Once things are dialed in with the injection it will be interesting to see what is possible without stressing it much more.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 20-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 20-01-2013, 06:08 PM

I have done a lot of searching for a suitable tank which must be located in the cabin.

Ideally I'd like about 6-8l min capacity because we travel quite a bit.

I also I require a place for the pump next to the tank and then a place for the relay, the location it will go requires that it be somewhat protected, but still allow me to monitor the levels.

The only all in one solution I have found is the Howerton Engineering 2x1 gallon tank and pump enclosure with led and fan, it also comes with a lot of style .

Can I order this from you Richard or do I order it direct from them?

Cheers!
Old 20-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

You need to order the tanks direct from Jeff. It is simpler.
Old 20-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Can you explain how do you control boost pressure.

It will be fun to get this car fully integrated with aquamist.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Here's a link for a diagram of the engine setup regarding turbo and wastegate, etc:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/145

As you can see a boost control solenoid is operated by the ECU, which is also capable of a safe mode if it detects overboosts beyond a programable level or some other engine fault like a misfire, etc..

To boost above 1.5bar the actuator must be changed too.

Here's a link with more detail of the wastgate control plumbing:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/580

two lambda sensors are used, one in the turbine housing and one post cat.

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 20-01-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

OK, got the answer. Boost a electronically controlled by the ECU via a BCV. Sorry for keep asking the same question

Question: How you you alter the boost pressure? I like to know this so I can advise you how to reduce boost in the event of a failsafe activation.
Old 20-01-2013, 09:25 PM

I think that the boost pressure is changed by reprograming of the ECU and perhaps an adjustment of the actuator depending how big the change is from stock.
It is using stock OBDII and it is not adjustable 'on the fly' but must be done with a laptop.

I suppose it's failsafe is some sort of map switch or modulation but I have little idea how to trigger that.

Last edited by Kapt. Q; 20-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Your highly stressed engine is well suited for this, hence I am taking a special interest on this.
It?s why I used water-meth on my 660cc turbocharged Kei-car

Quote:
At the same time, it is interesting to know much water is required for this this highly stressed engine.
May not be how much is ?required?, but I used up to 2 gph on the 660cc engine at 2psi without a noticeable drop in power

Quote:
If there is greater demand for low flow injection systems, we will scale down the flow sensor components. Problem is, low flow system may not require flow sensor based failsafe.
I honestly think for mine at least, an HFS2v2 would be ample. If the user is trying to expand the range of using the kit, say from 10% TPS to 100% TPS, when does the failsafe need to be active? I am sure that 20% throttle won?t damage the car if .25 gph isn?t flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt. Q View Post
It is very exciting as I know of no other car with it and I've seen a lot of Smarts, and if it has been done I doubt it has been done properly!
An install was started but never finished on a diesel here

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/for...bo-diesel.html

Might not hurt to try to contact the owner to see if he/she had any ideas about tank etc.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Hi Dust,

Good link, he was going to use the washer bottle, but it is not suitable as it is in the front. Space is a big issue, but if I mount something like the Howerton set up in the rear luggage area it will be within about 1 foot of the two injection points, significantly simplifying plumbing.

The system Richard is putting together has two nozzles, pre turbo and post intercooler. I think he is aiming to have greater capacity than 20% of fuel flow possible, to allow for some experimenting with mix, etc.

I think they have strict emissions in Japan that would make this project a non starter there?

I have had many cars in the past, including Porsches, VW, Jeep SRT-8, Mitsubishi, etc, but few have made me smile so much as this one and the challenge of getting more out of less is perhaps more rewarding than making a big motor go quickly and quite relevant in these 'green' times, lol.

Cheers!
Old 21-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt. Q View Post
I think they have strict emissions in Japan that would make this project a non starter there?
400 yen for a liter of methanol and no cheap distilled water at all is why it would be a non-starter. I passed inspection twice with the nozzle uninstalled, once at the government run testing center, and one at a private testing center. The second said nothing about my HID headlights either.

If I have to move back here we WILL be installing an aquamist something on a direct injection diesel, or direct injection kei-car. I'd already have a diesel smart if they were available in Japan. I have an HSV, FAV, fittings, and about 10 nozzles, and don't even have my kit yet.