waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-4 forum

Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Out of winterstorage: gauge is not showing spray bars

It's working again, but there was still another issue !

We first emptied the tank (holding it upside down).
Then we flushed/purged the system with distilled water (about 3,5 liters)
Then we emptied the tank again
Proceeded by billing up the tank with completely new meth (mixed with distilled water 50%).
I then connected the new FAV and use FAV dipswitch to SYS again.

Nothing, no flow.

We then disconnected the FAV 12V cable and used a 12V car battery. The system worked ! So we proved that the new FAV works and we have a wiring issue.

Then tried to read the signals of the two wires (it's actually 4, but 2 are paired) and noticed that the ground signal is not 0V, but 1-3 volts. The other cable (pair) showed the expected 12V. I guess there's a cable cut. We then took the little black block apart that connects to the FAV, feeding it power. We wired an additional ground wire from the solderied connection to the car as a ground.

We retested. It works !!!

So I kindly ask you to send me to send me the red FAV power wire somewhere it is broken.

The current setup works as a charm, so i could do several tests. It seems the new FAV also opens earlier and yields slightly more meth (6 bars instead of 5).It's a bit more responsive (it sprays earlier), i guess it has to do with the fact that the rubber inside this one is NOT swollen ! 6 bars sounds okay to me, we dyno it on saturday, i'm very anxious to see the power numbers again.

It's a patch and i don't want to keep this forever, so i do want to replace the original wiring.

Richard, i'll also send an e-mail.

Final update will be the actual power numbers.

greetings,
Jeroen

Last edited by dubversion; 10-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Can you tell what caused the cable to break?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 PM

Hi Richard,

not yet, we haven't extracted it yet. Removing it means removing the ECU (to reach the firewall opening) and i rather have the new one ready.

the cable was working just fine from the install in october 2017 - 19 dec 2017 (day of dyno).

After that, i hadn't turned the system on anymore, until March 2018, when potentially it was already broken. But we only verified that something was wrong in March, when i started this post.

If we find that the cable has visible damage, i will certainly update you again. But of course i remember installing it and we were very careful to route the cable away from hot sources (it does do over the engine, but we used the cable gutter already present) and made sure nothing was pressing on it.

We'll know more when i replace it.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Are you making a warranty claim for this cable?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Hi Richard, i don't know yet. Let's first check the fault. If the cable shows sign of wear/tear, obivously it's my fault. I inspected the cable before installing it, your kit was in perfect shape when it arrived here back in august 2017.

I can take a picture if you want once i have the cable out.

I assume the cable is not expensive ?

If you rather have me pay for it, no problem. Just let me know what you prefer.

Either way, i don't like the current situation. It will be okay for the dyno session, but i want to replace the cable asap.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Old 10-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

We have already given you a brand new FAV and flow sensor free of charge and free shipping. The issue was not caused by us.

Now there is an issue of the red cable, I assume you want us to do the same? Cost is not the point, it is your expectation of us as an individual.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 AM

Richard, let's not fight over this one. I just want to fix the broken part. I'm okay to pay for it. Please send me the details and I happily pay for it.

My expectation is that a brand new product, with literally less than 20 runs doesn't fail after 3 months of build in, where no further work was done near the product that could have damaged it. That is not strange, i do hope you agree.

Please send me the details and i'll transfer the amount.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

you can order it from:
http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-5...4-red-harness/

It will cost you £13.00 + shipping.

Our cable does not fall apart in 3 mouths. Nor does our FAV and flow sensor fails after 3 months of storage.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 AM

Done, i've ordered it

We've discussed the failure of the FAV at length; i fully trust your diagnosis and hydrocarbon contamination is the issue. I took all measures to prevent that from happening, as i have proven to you. I'm not blaming Aquamist for the fail and offered to pay for it, you gracefully shipped it under warranty. That's superb customer service.

The failure of the cable was diagnosed yesterday, but already likely in March. When the cable is out i'll inspect it to verify there is wear or tear.

Sometimes bad luck happens, Richard, it's not who's to blame, it's how we deal with it.

I'm very happy with the service, not so happy with the vulnerability of the rubber seal. As an engineer, i would look into an alternative for the rubber that's perhaps less prone to swelling, i'm not sure if such a thing is on the market. Maybe a coating can do the trick ?

Anyways, i replaced the meth and distilled water source, so now let's hope i can finally enjoy the extra power !

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

If you can show me a seal that is suitable for hydrocarbon and alcohol. I will be most grateful. Do you not think we have done this research long before your suggestion?

So help me .... rather stating the obvious. Mr engineer.

On every kit, there is this warning label:
(ignoring it at your own peril)