waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 15-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Injecting prior to turbo comp' impellers

OK I removed the screen and fitted the injector at the filter end....not happy with the distance from the compressor but until I have something custom made thats not going to change.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 15-06-2012, 08:08 PM

dont take what i say as gospel but from what i understand by reading the posts made by people on here, having the injector further away from the turbo should further reduce the intake temps, i think its to do with the atomisation of the water, water droplet size taking heat out of the water air mix. so long as the droplets size is small you shouldnt get any problems with compressor wheel damage
Old 17-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Ok so the next stage I took was the removal of the Aquamist system and I added twin injectors to the Devils system, 600cc pre turbo, 400cc post turbo (D04/D05)

I relocated the pre turbo injector to the end of the air filter, this we know is not ideal, I hope to change this soon.

Water injection supply lines were rerouted away from heat source.

Post turbo injector 400cc (D04)

Devils progressive controller pic to be added.

Pre turbo injection position to be added.#

Datalog..
http://www.screencast.com/users/mono...0-ab44e89ddcc0

Ambient temps were back up to 22c and this is the first daytime datalog after my one last night was lost due to incompetence lol

I used a 38/62 ethanol/water mixture and I was surprised that if anything temperatures were higher than the previous run...yes ambient temps were 4c higher than the previous test but I saw almost 70c at one point at the very top of the RPM range at circa 130mph?...in general temps were around the 50c mark on boost.

I thought a total of 250cc extra liquid was injected on this run but I had incorrect advice as to the flow rates of the injectors

I planned to inject a mixture of 78% alcohol* rather than the 38% we had in the last run to test this theory.

The temp did not drop and after a close look at the injector flow rates

and it seems I am simply not injecting much more liquid than my previous tests...only 750cc per min total, another injector is planned for the next test to bring injected amount closer to 1150cc per min

*due to a lack of ethanol I am using a small amount of isopropanol in the ethanol/water mix to bump up the alcohol content.

Last edited by T.F.S.; 25-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 17-06-2012, 12:04 PM

I think the D05 is your problem. DVLDOC has said to stay D02 or lower pre-turbo
Old 17-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Interesting, I did wonder if there is a limit to how much I can add pre compressor but I thought if looking to reduce inlet temps the more mix I put through the turbo the better?

Also I have been told by Devils own to double the flow rating on the injectors if using their 250psi pump but I have also been told by a user that this is not true and I should go with the original ratings...if the latter is true it explains a lot because I wouldn't be injecting any more than my last test and TBH I have had very similar results....

Sure I have had a higher inlet temp at 7000rpm but due to a wet road I was unable to test above 5000rpm on the previous test so we cannot compare at over 5000rpm.

The D02 would work out at only 120cc in that case...a very small amount for pre compressor?
Old 17-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.S. View Post
Also I have been told by Devils own to double the flow rating on the injectors if using their 250psi pump but I have also been told by a user that this is not true and I should go with the original ratings...if the latter is true it explains a lot because I wouldn't be injecting any more than my last test and TBH I have had very similar results....

The 2 gph is at 100 psi. The flow will be greater at 250 psi. it's not double, but it is greater.

https://www.alcohol-injection.com/images/flowchart.gif
Old 17-06-2012, 01:17 PM

So in total about 750cc going by that graph eh.
Old 25-06-2012, 01:03 PM

The D04/D05 injectors are moved back to the injection points I was using with the Aquamist system...I adapted the injectors for straight fitment at this time.

Rear view of injection point/s

Fitted.

D05 pre injector moved back to the turbo entry point..I set it back about 1/2 inch from the turbo

Dump valve added

The engine bogged and misfired on this run with well over 1000cc per min being injected, temps were closer to 40c on this run and hit a max of 46c on an extended high speed run at near 130mph, I would have liked to have added a full datalog for this run but I am having trouble using the screen recording software.

I played with different mixture settigns but the misfire would not clear...it seems that either the mixture was simply too rich (dipping under 10.0/1) or had too much water content to ignite.

With the coilpack dwell time being too high as it is I will need to get the car remapped to take the extra fuel into account...for the moment I will drop a jet size for around 900c per min and take some more measurements.

I may also use more smaller jets amounting to the same injected amount to offer a more atomised mixture to the inlet to help drop temps even more...I dont know how much of a drop this can provide but right now anything is worth a shot!
Old 28-06-2012, 08:21 PM

I fitted two more injection sites in the turbo scroll and fitted much smaller D075 injectors in those areas...the idea was to give a more even distribution of cooling mix within the turbo and reduce the chances of dropout on the walls of the turbo whilst also taking advantage of the very slightly better atomisation that a smaller injector/s provides.

The pre turbo injector has now been reduced to a D04.

I took the car for a test run last night and although the WI system was providing something like 25% less coolant/mixture and ambient temps were higher than previous tests at around 21c the inlet never went over 50c even on an extended high speed run....something is working a LOT better here!

The mixture was set at around 50/50 (water/ethanol) and another factor I should mention is that the dump valve was also leaking quite a bit...I am sure this only would have made the turbo work harder and increased inlet temps so now that has been repaired I may get some datalog tonight.

Methanol has not arrived yet..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Anyone any interest in this ?

After a little grinding and filing

I'm not saying it's perfect, but its cheap.

I had it cut from 4mm thick aluminium and all legs are 4mm thick also.. This one is 102mm OD so it's a snug fit inside my air intake pipe.
I made the external legs 10mm, these can be cut down. Idea being drill a hole into the silicone tube and these legs will secure the fitting from going anywhere.
Again cheap and easy to use.

Just trim and adapt as necessary. Could get them made in other diameters if anyone interested ?
Or could have legs reduced to a smaller size, I was just paranoid about strength so opted for 4mm. 2-3mm would probably do fine.

This is my first attempt at pre-compressor, although I'm also spraying a lot pre throttle as well. Centrifugal supercharger application