waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Default HFS-3 Controller Blowing Fuse - Fixed

Fixed this before Richard could get back to me, but I'm posting this incase anyone else has this issue in the future.

Upon installing my HFS-3, it blows the 5A wire protection fuse every time I went through the Power Up Procedure as outlined in the manual. Tested all of the wiring and there were no shorts.

I probed the HFS-3 controller board to try and locate the fault: There was a dead short between 12V+ and "power" ground. This short cleared if you remove the onboard fuse.

Tracing the board with a meeter, I discovered the only things connected to "power" ground are the FAV and Pump control mosfets, board power relay, and a diode with the marking "S1J". This cross references to a Vishay rectifier diode with a 1A continuous 40A burst current rating, and it appears to protect the rest of the board from a reverse polarity and power relay coil flyback.

This diode was the only thing that was across both 12V+ and “power” ground, so I unsoldered it to see if that was the issue.

No more short! The only DO-214AC diode Could get on short notice was a Farchild ES1G, one tier down in specs but probably close enough.

Plugged it in and followed the Power Up Procedure once again, and everything works!

This was LIKLEY caused by polarity being reversed at some point while installing it .
Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: HFS-3 Controller Blowing Fuse - Fixed

good work!