waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Diesel

Old 22-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Adding a mappable controller...

Firstly, would it be possible to get hold of a new graph of flow/pressure including the new 3mm 3 and 4 scroll nozzels.

My current set up consists of the following:

Aquamist industrial pump (2ltr/min - 125psi)
Aquamist pressure switch (set to about 12psi)
A simple microswitch on the accelerator peddle
Aquamist solenoid valve (black and purple)

My system works by turning on the pump at 12psi and opening the solenoid to inject only at full throttle.
Injection only occurs there for when both conditions are met and the lines are prepressurized before
the solenoid opens.

I would like to add a mappable controller to work with boost and rpm. I have an Apexi boost controller
which I use just as a boost gauge and I think I could use the pressure transmitter from that to feed
a controller. I'd have to buy a box to plug into the CAN BUS to give me an rpm frequency pulse
though.

I'd like to be able to control the amount of water injected in more than just a linear manner based on
the inputs though as I want to reduce injection towards the top end of the rpm. I'm injecting with three
nozzels at the moment (0.5, 0.7 and 0.7), which is quite alot for my 1.9CDTI but it runs well. The only
problem is a large amount of smoke above 4000 rpm, which is why I would like a controller.

What would you suggest?
Old 22-01-2010, 05:39 PM

One more question, if I have two non-return valves with 15psi crack pressure in parrallel, does the total system pressure drop equal 30 psi or less because they are in parallel?
Old 25-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Adding a mappable controller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutron
Firstly, would it be possible to get hold of a new graph of flow/pressure including the new 3mm 3 and 4 scroll nozzels.

My current set up consists of the following:

Aquamist industrial pump (2ltr/min - 125psi)
Aquamist pressure switch (set to about 12psi)
A simple microswitch on the accelerator peddle
Aquamist solenoid valve (black and purple)

My system works by turning on the pump at 12psi and opening the solenoid to inject only at full throttle.
Injection only occurs there for when both conditions are met and the lines are prepressurized before
the solenoid opens.

I would like to add a mappable controller to work with boost and rpm. I have an Apexi boost controller
which I use just as a boost gauge and I think I could use the pressure transmitter from that to feed
a controller. I'd have to buy a box to plug into the CAN BUS to give me an rpm frequency pulse
though.

I'd like to be able to control the amount of water injected in more than just a linear manner based on
the inputs though as I want to reduce injection towards the top end of the rpm. I'm injecting with three
nozzels at the moment (0.5, 0.7 and 0.7), which is quite alot for my 1.9CDTI but it runs well. The only
problem is a large amount of smoke above 4000 rpm, which is why I would like a controller.

What would you suggest?
The only item that will do the job is the MF2:

Here is a lnk to the description of the unit:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2/mf2.html

Link to the user manual:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2manual.zip

The MF2 can read any pulsed signal such as the alternator, cam angle sensor etc. Look into this before buy a canbus signal converter.

Richard
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM

I had an MF2 box from Richard last week and spent alot of time trying to find a good rpm pulse source with little luckand even sent the box back to see if it would pick up the lower 4.8V from my cam sensor (the manual states 14V - 300V). It could have been adjusted down further even than that Richard says but should be able to pick up that as standard. So I spent a few hours with a multi meter in frequency more splicing and stabing things wildly and have finally found a good signal

For some reason, if I take a reading from my cam sensor signal wire to earth, there is alot of noise and I can't pick up the frequency If I take it between the signal and earth going into the sensor though, I get a good clean 1/2 rpm frequency pulse

So I shall ask Richard nicely to send the box back and I'll hook it upto both wires. All being well, I'll have it up and running in a few days.
Old 21-02-2010, 02:32 AM

The MF2 is now fitted and funtioning correctly, allowing me to meter my water/methanol
injection based on rpm. A simple pressure switch prevents activation at low engine
loads.

The unit is only running a 2D map based on RPM at the moment but I will be adding a
feed form my pressure transmitter to use the 3D mapping capabilities.

Still trying to get some pics to show of my three point injection system
Old 21-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Howerton Engineering

Sounds great, keep posting up info, I am very interested.
Old 22-02-2010, 11:11 AM

I ran some tests over the weekend on my intercooler sprayers. I have three 0.3mm nozzels spraying onto the intercooler
and I monitored engine/inlet air temps whie cruising on a long flat in 5th gear at 60mph. Over about 2 miles, I noted a
drop of about 5 deg F in the inlet air temp. Not a large drop and not really fast enough to be usuful on the drag strip but
then it was only 2 Deg C outside. So I shall leave that unplugged for the winter and test it again in the summer.

I also ran tests on the water/methanol injecting while monitoring engine coolant temp. I manually injected the fluid while
cruising along, so the engine would have increased/decreased fuel to maintain speed. There was no notable change in
engine coolant temps with the water/methanol mix at 50:50. Next I will try testing this by holding the accelerator
constant and allow the speed to change to see what effects that has on the running temp.
Old 27-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Keep having problems with pressure switches jamming open?!? I even tried sticking a vacuum on it while I checked it with a multimeter and it was fliping open and closed rapidly :S This is the third one that has died on me and I'm at a loss to explain why.

On a better note, I fed the MF2 from my 3rd party pressure transmitter of my digital boost gauge. I wound down the input cut off until the light came on and then wound it up two full turns again. I'll need a second person to help me set it up properlly but for now that will do. So it should now be using the 3D mapping function if I'm understanding things. Does it hit max duty cycle at 5V by default?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I added a switch to turn the system on constantly and just use the MF2 to control flow.
I turned the potentiometers down to account for this but still used 3 litres in just 20 miles and that was just cruising along at 70.
I probably used as much water in those 20 miles if not more than I did diesel :S

What sort of ratio should I be looking at?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Adding a mappable controller...

Firstly YAY, the forum works again!

Secondly, I may have used alot more water than expected because I had the intercooler sprayers connected and they flow independently of the MF2's control. Secondly the slower solenoid I have may not have been able to pulse fast enough for the Fuel injection 60Hz setting, simply being on or off (as Richard suggested). To rectify this, I have removed the jumper and it is now running at 30Hz. I tried it out with a nozzel into open air and it does seem much more responsive.

During a stint where I had no methanol, I was running pure water and despite the scientific research I have read on water injection, it did seem to reduce smoke through out the range compared to a water methanol mix.