waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Intercooler Effects

Old 13-05-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Intercooler Sprayers - Water mixes

Hi, another newbie question.

:?: I'm currently building my own IC spray system (until I can afford to go WI) and my question is about water/alky mix. I understand the latent heat of evaporation for water is higher than alcohol, but that alcohol evaporates quicker - removing more heat for a very short period time. Is it feasible to mix water with alky to get the initial rapid cooling of the alcohol evaporation and then, when the water has caught up, it takes over maintaining cooling effects for longer than just alcohol on it's own? And what sort of mix % should I be looking at if using Methanol or Isopropyl alcohol.

I've searched the forum but can't find the specifics anywhere - sorry if I missed them ops: .

Thanks-

the-dubster

There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Old 20-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Anybody - no? - dust............ someone must have some info or ideas.

I've sourced methanol now, 25Ltrs of the stuff, but before anyone asks, I can't supply the stuff, I got it on the........you know.....QT :wink:

I'm going to use it anyway but just hoped someone could give me an idea if it's safe to spray on aluminium intercoolers as Meth eats ally, but hopefully will evaporate before it gets a chance to do any damage. If not, I may well suddenly loose boost, good time to upgrade to a FMIC from the top mounted one then!!

Cheers

Andy

Old 20-05-2005, 01:44 PM

With my water injection on my wrx i use the standard washer bottle for my source of supply and i used to mix 25% isopropyl alcohol to 75% water and put in there.I still have the intercooler sprayers hooked up and running so it was getting the mix as well but i couldnt really tell any difference between it and normal water but i never measured the intake temps either! i could do that over the weekend i if get the time i get some isopropyl alky and mix it up since i havent used it in ages and see what gains there are..
Old 20-05-2005, 01:51 PM

Cheers mrex180, it would be good to see if the cooling is affected by the alcohol mix or not, if not, i'll just run water and keep the big tub of meth until I get a WI system sorted (just looking into the feasability of using a 6-7 bar petrol fuel injection pump from a scrappy instead of the shurflo or aquamist pumps - for cheapness of course).

Andy

Old 30-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Sorry i havent gotten to this yet, i need to get an extention for my thermocouple lead once i do i'll get right on to it..
Old 30-05-2005, 09:34 PM

No worries, haven't quite finished the sprayer yet, finishing the bathroom at the moment instead :roll:

cheers

Old 05-06-2005, 06:09 AM

Ok, i went out today and did some tests on the mixes, i placed the thermocouple on the intercooler end tank right on the outlet, with the engine cold the temp read 20'c then with the car up to temp and driving around it was steady on 29'c. I then did several runs in 4 gear WOT to 6500 then pulled 5th for a short while so i had the most load and the temp read 34'c, i then came back and put a 25% isopropyl alcohol water mix in the tank and purged all the lines so i knew the mix was ready, then i went out again and repeated the tests and there was only about a 1'c - 2'c difference as the temp meter showed a drop to 33'c !!

The turbo outlet temp was 80'c at the y-pipe..
Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 AM

Cheers for doing that mrex180, although it must have been hell having to thrash your car around in the name of science :lol: .

Was that temp drop of 46-47'c with just the intercooler sprayer and not WI? If so, that's pretty impressive and WI on top would bring the temps below ambient.
(I'm guessing that's the WI AND I/C sprayer though).

As expected, the temps didn't change much and it's very hard to test if the final temp was reached quicker or not. If I get the on/off spray ratio right then just using water will keep the temps constant and the inital quicker cooling of any alcohol would then be rendered pointless.

The upshot is, I have 25 Ltrs of methanol now :smile: , just waiting for a WI system to spray it with - bugger :cry: .

Thanks for your help and time on this.

Andy

Old 07-06-2005, 02:14 AM

I dont mind giving my car a SPIRITED drive on sundays

The only thing i didnt do was turn the sprayers off and see the temps :roll: .. I did measure the temps with the WI off and it read a little higher only about 2'c on the end tank but i really need to measure the air temp in the manifold to get a better correct reading for that i think..

The thing i did notice with the alky was the rate the temp come back down on de-acceleration it would drop way faster back to cruise temp of 29'c than with just water..

Cheers Andy C.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 AM

Cheers Andy C
Result!! The rapid temp drop is because the alcohol evaporates much quicker than the water and rips more heat out of the I/C more rapidly. It seems that my original theory works :shock: , the Alky drags down the temps quickly and the water then keeps it there once the alky has evaporated and stopped cooling.

I'm now convinced that I/C spraying is effective - not as much as WI - but a damn cheap interim measure which I'm going to be installing soon.

Thanks for all your time and help on this Andy, much appreciated.

P.S. Why only spirited driving on Sundays, mine gets wound up to max boost on the way to work every day - and it's only 5 miles

Cheers

Andy