waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 19-03-2005, 04:06 PM

wet1,

I have done my best to clean the other thread up and let me know if I missed anything.

It is much better to divide the thread up or it will get very confused if more people joins in later.
Old 19-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L
Wet 1,

Thanks for the link, the shurflo pump is ideal for the application as many alky-injection manufacturer uses it, in fact all of them except SMC - pure alky injection. It will surely do the job as a much lower priced and flows more.

As said before the aquamist pump was originally designed for water only. I think in order to design a good water/alcohol injection system, it has to be able to control the flow accurately so one will know the ratio between the gasoline and alcohol or at least predictable. The Aquamist's HSV + the FIA2 or MF2 can easier to adapted for use with alcohol injection/shurflo pump - the HSV seal is made of EPDM and good for most alcohol at high concentration. If you are interested, I can post a schematic on a new thread so it won't alter the thread topic midway.

For your 20% injection rate, it would just be as simple to add 20% of alcohol to your fuel tank to be done with it. If your fear of the leaning up due to the a/f/a ratio, just turn up the fuel pressure a bit to compensate. I remember someone posted this particular method to this board and proved that it is very effective.

The biggest problem facing the usage of alcohol by injecting it as a fuel and not as a coolant - it makes the accurate delivery to each cylinder more difficult especially the log-type manifold/plenum. This critcal factory has to be overcome for a alcohol injection system to be reliable, I suggest the only way to tackle this problem is by using port injection to guarantee even delivery to each cylinder.

Further down the line, the controller that meters the alcohol injection valve has to be mappable and tune exactly as the gasoline injection system. The blockage detection circuitry is also vital since we are offering the system to mostly a DIY market where strict installation procedure is not often followed and debris may be introduced into the alcohol line and blocks one jet. Since alcohol injection is often triggered during boost , one clogged jet can be very bad for the engine.

As I am reasoning my approach to my ideal alcohol injection system, you might as well contact the proper company that supplies the alcohol fuel dragster. It is a subject I know little of and how any alcohol/gasoline engine should be tuned - difficult enough to get tune individually as it is but infinately more complex to tune both with two separate mappable controllers. I think it will be a long time before an aftermarket duel-fuel system is available and the cost? it won't be 399 dollars for sure.

Do you think I am being over-cautious? As hothod has pointed out, WMN has an in-built "fail-safe" mechanism within it. This is the reason I am reading more into the technology as a simple power adder.

Please post the schematic as I'm not familiar with this.

While your notion to just add 20% methanol to the gas tank sounds like a simple solution, IMO it gets away from some of the ideals of AI. First, methanol is pretty corrosive. A 20% concentration in most fuel systems would certainly create problems. Second, it would be a major PITA to try mixing proper ratios at the fuel station every fill-up. Third, it would be far more expensive since you'd use a lot more methanol. The nice thing about AI is you only use the alky when it's needed (under boost), if mixed in the fuel tank you'd be using the methanol all the time. BTW, you wouldn't add a 50/50 mix to your fuel tank would you?

While I totally agree that even distribution is a concern, but I have yet to hear of this being a problem in application. Some of the turbo Regal guys are shooting large amounts w/o any issues. As you know the alky is discharged in a very fine mist, as long as it's injected with a reasonable distance away from the intake manifold, there should be pretty even distribution. IMO, the same holds true with water, not just methanol as a fuel (and it is also a coolant). Many people rely on water to keep the engine from detonating... so it holds true for both alky and water. Look at wet NOS systems, many use a single nozzle to inject the required fuel and you rarely hear of problems with a single lean cylinder when shooting reasonable amounts. There are thousands of wet single nozzle NOS systems running on the streets w/o issue. I agree a direct port system is the way to go, but unless you're heavily relying on the methanol (or water) I see no problem with a single or dual nozzle system downstream of the manifold.

You would know far more about blockage than I would, but I would think using a dual nozzle system would highly reduce the fear of engine failure since the likelihood for both nozzles becoming clogged at the same time is pretty unlikely. Using a single nozzle system, I've never had any problems with clogs (knock on wood), but I filter everything that goes into my system. I also press a test button before I make a heavy load run to make sure the alky system is working properly, it's habit now. Either way, I don't think it's fair to say blockage is much more (or less) of a concern with AI vs. WI... they are both being used to keep things safe when pushed to the limit. Again, look at the wet NOS systems? no issues there. I guess you could even say the same for direct injectors, there?s still the possibility of clogs or failure.

I think today?s AI / WI systems are pretty crude, but they work. I suspect people like yourself will develop much more advanced systems in the future with stand-alone computer interfaced into the ECU running direct port injectors. We already have everything on the market to build such a system, it will just take someone to put it all together... and for people to realize how incredible AI systems truly are. I'm amazed it's taken so many years for AI/WI to catch on given all the benefits it offers, yet so many people do not believe in them. Once they really take off more advanced systems will certainly follow, and you?re right? they will be more than $399!

BTW, regarding the Shurflo pumps? I didn?t know there was a concern of seal failure. I?ve been using mine for years with 90% methanol and no problems. Most of the TR guys are using straight methanol (or ethanol) with no problems either. I do know Julio at Alky Control has come up with some new seals if there?s a concern (Teflon?) but I haven?t seen a need to change mine. Then again, how much can you expect from a $70 pump???
Old 19-03-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin
wet1,

I have done my best to clean the other thread up and let me know if I missed anything.

It is much better to divide the thread up or it will get very confused if more people joins in later.
Thank you, I didn't want the nitro thread getting diluted.

I think you might have removed to much content out of the nitro thread... your posts had mixed content (nitro chat as well as straight alky chat). I removed most of the nitro info out of the above quotes for this thread. I guess it really doesn't matter either way. :wink:

Thanks again,
Scot
Old 19-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I have found the thread about methanol in tank, posted by John Banks:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/vie...highlight=#478

He has found 10% of methanol in tank produce better power than injected in the inlet tract. Apart from the problem of mixing, it appear it is one way it can work. As regarding corrosion, oxygenated fuel is used widely and I cannot see corrosion is a limiting factor and these fuels are available.

I think we are slowly moving away from water injection as we approach alcohol injection at high concentrations- the alcohol will become a fuel as well as a anti-detonant. The role it plays is now more critical and and cannot be compared to just injecting water since water was never used as a fuel.

If knock is the only remining safety comparison between alcohol and water to suppress knock, if either component is lost, the knock sensor will kick into action and made the engine safe. But if you loose fuel (alcohol), there is no inbuild safeguard, unless all enignes have an EGT sensor.

Since the alcohol has only half amount of latent heat than water, and half the energy of gasoline, you really need to inject four times as much compare to just "gasoline + water".

I am not sure how you meter your 20% fuel/alcohol ratio, but if the method is accurate, it will open a door for more alcohol injection systems because one can make reasonable calculations on paper, the results can be used to producing a more advanced alky injection system. Not a black art privy to a only few alky-gurus. I cannot see any point mixing it with water at all.

I am interested in such a system but why not just inject toluene or bezene. You can use a fuel pump, conventional fuel line, conventional fuel injectors etc. Do you think there is a failsafe alky system on the market at present? until a company can guarantee a nozzle will never be blocked I can't see it will gain credibilty.

I will only make some electrical drawings as and not mechanically because there is a small of risk of fire if the methanol fume escape from the trunk tank into the passenger compartment on a hot day can easily cause some fire hazard problem. I must be very careful before I work on a 100% alcohol system.
Old 19-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Wet1,

I must add this - I am not trying to dis-credit alky injection, I think is it is a good idea as highlighed by you. I have also been bomdarded with many requests that we should produce one ASAP.

I have made my view clear on many occasions and try to voice my problems in creating such a system - I still don't know if it can be competitive since there are systems out there such as Coolmist selling a Shurflo system for 159 dollars.
Old 19-03-2005, 11:45 PM

I agree adding methanol to the fuel system will work, but it?s not practical IMO. The way I see it, if you?re going to go this route, you might as well go with toluene, race gas, or Torco. Also, the oxygenated fuel that is now used widely is done with ethanol, not methanol. Methanol is far more corrosive than ethanol.

You?re correct that if a WI or AI system fails the knock sensors will retard timing. If the engines are relying very heavily on WI/AI, there?s a good chance the knock sensors will not be able to save the engine from detonation. I personally set my base tune around a 12.5:1 a/f ratio w/o alky so in the event my AI fails, there?s not a fear of my engine going overly lean. Some people rely heavily on their WI/AI and if it fails the engine is toast? doesn?t matter if it?s WI or AI at that point IMO.

Sorry, my 20% figure was an estimate. I base this on my usage on road racing tracks. Much of my track time is at WOT so I make this assumption based on gas/alky ussage. Call it black magic. My system is boost referenced and progressive. This is completely controllable by me, not some POS on/off cheap $159 kit.

The reason I like injecting methanol over toluene is methanol drastically lowers the IAT? toluene will not. They both will increase the octane level of the fuel, but the huge IAT drop that alky offers is SO beneficial for FI applications. Many people are finding that methanol is so effective at dropping IAT that they are no longer using intercoolers to cool the air charge which has obvious benefits. Methanol may have only half the amount of latent heat reduction than water does, but water will not reduce IAT anywhere nearly as much as methanol. This drastic reduction in IAT with methanol equates to highly reduced chance of detonation. In a nutshell, water and methanol both reduce latent heat and reduce the air charge temps, but water is better a reducing latent heat while methanol is better at reducing IAT. Toluene can?t compare to either in these regards.

No, I do not think there?s a failsafe system on the market. Until a system has some type of feedback system integrated to the factory ECM, the system will not be failsafe. I think AI/WI is quickly catching on in the world of FI, but it?s going to take time for it to grow. The cheap kits on the market are functional, but will never be accepted by an serious enthusiast. The AI/WI kit must be completely controllable for it to be accepted by tuners.

Working with straight alky does have some risks. If a tank must be mounted inside the passenger compartment, I would recommend using a small fuel cell (like you would with gas). Otherwise, I wouldn?t worry so much if the tank is mounted outside the passenger compartment. Alky is flammable, but it also evaporates very quickly. I?ve squirted straight alky on hot headers and it just evaporates. This is not to say there?s not a risk of fire? there is, but I don?t think it?s a major concern. If you want to be technical about it, just about all the fluids in your car are flammable. The best you can do is have a robust system to minimize the chance of problems. Safe container, SS lines, good fittings, check valves? BUT, these things cost money. The $159 kits you mentioned do not include these items, you get what you pay for. Many of these kits are not boost or MAF referenced and are not progressive in nature? these are MUSTS IMO. Personally, I wouldn?t consider installing a system in my car unless I thought it would be top quality, safe, very controllable, and reliable. These things don?t come cheap. The general public just won?t accept anything less in a good kit. I think there?s only one kit on the market that IMO that comes close to meeting these criteria, and it is still about $500.

Scot
Old 20-03-2005, 03:32 AM

Default pumps and seal life

Quote:
BTW, regarding the Shurflo pumps? I didn?t know there was a concern of seal failure. I?ve been using mine for years with 90% methanol and no problems. Most of the TR guys are using straight methanol (or ethanol) with no problems either. I do know Julio at Alky Control has come up with some new seals if there?s a concern (Teflon?) but I haven?t seen a need to change mine. Then again, how much can you expect from a $70 pump???
There may be some other factors at play here as well. It would be interesting to know how you have your system rigged. I'm using the 100 psi pump and have it configured with a large accumulator so there is line pressure on the pressure switch seals all the time. This protects the pump as it cycles much less frequently but may push the seals over the edge due to the continuous line pressure. My pump is mounted in the trunk so high summer temperatures may be a factor as well vs a configuration that has the pump in a cool location like some where near the grill in the engine compartment. If you run yours as an intermitent system that only goes to full pressure when the AI is triggered that could be an important difference.

Larry
Old 20-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I totally agree with you that any system without a failsafe mechanism, it will not be taken seriously. But the majority of Joe Public will go for cheap system, frequent engine failure will eventually give the WI/AL a bad name and the concept will start to fade away.

Before we embarked on the water injection market in the late 80s, we researched the water injection market and only found a handfull of washer pump based system that didn't really work very reliably. Despite that, we decided to go for a quality system, regardless of market trend.

Water injection in those days were being dismissed as a "band-aid" and not a proper tuning tool. Nevertheless we kept going and slowly the confidence returns and market demand grew. Within the last year or two, the low cost systems started to creep back in again. But this time, people have a choice.

The A/I market may following the same fate as the early WI market if "safesafe" mechanism is not incorporated soon.

Delivery of the alcohol need to be improved as well, tracking the MAP sensor voltage to speed up or slowing the injection pump is not a way to provide progressive flow rate, motor RPM doesn't translate into actual flow at all. Don't be fooled by this method when vendors are claiming a progressive system.

I do have a question for you, how does your progressive system work? please share it with us - I have been looking for a way to produce such a sysrtem and hope to discard the expensive highspeed valve altogether - we can be competitive again and offset the terrible "strong pound stirling" against the "weak dollar" at present.
Old 20-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Larry,
I have my pump mounted behind one of rear my wheels on the Porsche so heat isn't a concern for me. I think I'll mount the pump behind my front wheel on the C5 when I do that one... the C5 has a great covered spot there.

I also have it rigged as an intermitent system that only goes to full pressure when the AI is triggered.

These could be important factors for increased pump/seal life.

Scot
Old 20-03-2005, 10:45 PM

Richard,
I have to think anyone with half a brain would see the difference between the cheap kits and the better kits that contain important performance and safety features. I think you'll find the people buying the cheap kits are the ricers... remember, 'natural selection' is a good thing. :lol: Seriously, people don't mind paying more for a better product, if it's truly better... I know I don't mind. There will always be 'cheap' products, don't compete with those guys... that's not the matket you want, think premium.

Either way, AI/WI is here to stay, it's only going to grow.

While I agree using a MAP sensor to vary AI output is not ideal, IMO it is somewhat progressive and far superior to the cheaper "on/off" systems. As boost increases so does AI output. It's very similar to the cheap FMU some of the aftermarket forced induction suppliers include / included in there kits. The FMU's are nothing more than a boost referenced FPR. Crude? Yes, but it does work to a certain degree.

I'm using a GM MAP sensor with an Alky Control PAC to control my system. The PAC has the "Ability to electronically adjust turn-on point, initial pump speed pressure, and ramp gain of final pump speed pressure using any 12volt injection pump." Far from the ideal system, but it has worked great for me. Ideally I'd love to see a 3D mappable computer to control output hit the market. I guess it's only a matter of time before a DFI type AI kit hits the streets. While this would be ideal, what I'm using now has been working great for me... I don't think I'd need anything more. BUT, I can only imagine what some of the serious tuners would do with a mappable system.

I'm going to be out of town for a few days... take care guys. :wink:

Scot