waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 25-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Do I have a faulty relay? ::fixed::

My pump makes a cyclical clicking/tapping noise whenever the injection is "on".
Old 25-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Sounds like one of three internal valves has trapped air. Use a short length of 6mm hose, feed the pump outlet back to the tank. Power up the pump by putting the system on test (make sure the "INJ" is unlinked first). If possible, hold the pump and rotate it slowly. Ensure the outlet port is at the highest point to encourge the trapped air to escape.
Old 25-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Sounds like one of three internal valves has trapped air. Use a short length of 6mm hose, feed the pump outlet back to the tank. Power up the pump by putting the system on test (make sure the "INJ" is unlinked first). If possible, hold the pump and rotate it slowly. Ensure the outlet port is at the highest point to encourge the trapped air to escape.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try tonight. Two unfortunate things about my pump placement: 1) the outlet is lower than the inlet as shown in the pictures. 2) It's difficult to get to; bumper cover must be removed.
Old 26-03-2010, 01:25 AM

The air seems to have worked its way out on its own. I'm now getting full 8 bars at redline. The SC adjuster doesn't seem to have much effect on the number of bars reported, it always starts at 2 (depending on the threshold I chose) and goes up to 8 at redline. Maybe I misunderstand. I assume SC fully counterclockwise will cause fewer bars to illuminate at the same actual flow, while fully clockwise would cause all 8 bars to illuminate at much lower flow. That hasn't been the behavior for me. No matter how I have the SC adjusted, I'm showing 2 bars rising up to 8. I'll post a video later.
Old 26-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Red face Re: Do I have a faulty relay? ::fixed::

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
The air seems to have worked its way out on its own. I'm now getting full 8 bars at redline. The SC adjuster doesn't seem to have much effect on the number of bars reported
More egg on face... I had mistakenly left the jumper on the IDC test setting. What I was seeing was not aquamist flow, but instead FIDC, if I understand correctly.

At least my idiocy is preserved in this thread for posterity's sake I'll try the previous advice later.
Old 26-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Let me know if things returned to normal after removing the jumper link from ther FIDC.

Easily done - I did the same the other day durng my ongoing development work. It was weird.
Old 27-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Let me know if things returned to normal after removing the jumper link from ther FIDC.

Easily done - I did the same the other day durng my ongoing development work. It was weird.
All red herrings aside, I finally found the root of my problem tonight.

After doing a bunch of tests (pumping from water jug to water jug, reservoir to water jug, water jug through FAV to water jug, etc), I eventually decided to try a larger restrictor in the FAV. When I pulled the line off the FAV inlet, I noticed a small nylon hose shaving was plugging the .7mm restrictor inlet. Took the shaving out with a needle nose and I now seem to have full flow! The flow seems to fall off at higher RPMS (gauge goes from 2 up to 6 bars or so, then drops back to 3 by redline) but I'm going to confirm that tomorrow. I think I'm going to try non-progressive mode and see if the flow meter reports consistent X number of bars. Thanks for all the help Richard, you rock.
Old 27-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Well done on finding the blockage. This is unusual as the in-tank should not allow a debris of that size to get through.

I cannot rule out there may be further debris somewhere. Can you reverse the flow...

1. putting 6mm pipe into the flow sensor inlet (change fittings over)
2. Activate the system and let water pour out the valve
3. Hopefully it will flush out any debris trapped inside the vave.

Old 29-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Well done on finding the blockage. This is unusual as the in-tank should not allow a debris of that size to get through.

I cannot rule out there may be further debris somewhere. Can you reverse the flow...

1. putting 6mm pipe into the flow sensor inlet (change fittings over)
2. Activate the system and let water pour out the valve
3. Hopefully it will flush out any debris trapped inside the vave.
I think maybe the shaving somehow fell into the nylon hose when I was cutting it? I'm also going to put in a HFS-1 style inline filter on the 6mm feed. Should I go with 806-255 or 806-257? (30 or 100 micron).

I removed and checked all fittings for additional debris and everything was clear. I reversed the flow on the FAV and let the pump run for a minute or so. Then, I removed the .7mm restrictor in the FAV, I get lots of flow. Can you explain the purpose/function of the restrictor? I thought the jet size and line pressure sets the effective flow of the system? Should I try the .9mm restrictor? How does the system behave with none at all?

I have 4x630cc injectors, and run 25psi boost with 50/50 meth/water so I originally chose the .7mm restrictor and the .9mm jet.
Old 29-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Thanks for the update.

I don't think you need to put another line on the inlet side of pump. The in-tank-filter should do the job properly.

It is good to know the system is now free of possible debris.

The job of the restrictor is make the delivery as linear as possible. The FAV is capable of delievry in ezcess of 1500cc/min. Without the restrictor, the valve tends to over inject by about 50-10% at the lower end of the flow curve. It is not important if you don't start spraying at 12% IDC.

Quick calculation of your set up:

2520cc/min of fuel at 25psi,. 20% of M50:50 flow should be ~500cc/min. Your selection of 0.9mm jet and 0.7mm restrictor is spot on.