waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Applications (making it work) > Gasoline Forced-Induction

Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Help choosing injection method for 4G63 motor

For the past two years I have been running a methanol/water injection system that I came up with myself. In the back of the car is a Coolmist 150psi pump, an accumulator, pressure gauge, and shut off valve. From there I ran lines to the engine bay where a high quality solenoid is operated by a Hobbs pressure switch. Out of the solenoid the line is tee?d and two nozzles are place in the upper intercooler piping. One is just after the intercooler and the other is right before the throttle body. The system is triggered at 14 PSI of manifold pressure.

This current set-up works well and allows me to run 46 lbs/min of air at 26 PSI, but I would like to upgrade to a system that mimics the fuel injector pulse and place one nozzle in each runner. I have been contemplating two solutions:

1. Fabricate an additional fuel rail onto my sheet metal intake manifold that will use stock 450 cc injectors as the means of injection. These will be fed by a methanol safe pump and controlled via an Aquamist MF2. While the cost of plumbing may be high for this option, it does allow me to inject something other than methanol if my needs ever change.

2. Use an Aquamist nozzle in each runner. From what I understand I would need two fiA2?s and two HSV?s to control this set-up. I like this idea because it is a returnless system and is much easier to implement. The downside is the cost of the electronics and valves.

I am really on the fence as to which solution to proceed with and would appreciate any comments/criticisms.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM

I`ve heard on here methanol and water wreck fuel injectors quite quickly unless you flush the system out after each run. I run port injection but it`s not pulsed, didn`t deem it worth the extra cost and complexity to impliment.

I`d go the HSV route, double check they`re methanol safe first though.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM

You're correct. Water will ruin fuel injectors very quickly. I meant to say that if I did run that system that I would run only methanol. I will have to do a bit more research on the HSV to see how they like methanol or a combo of methanol and water.
Old 19-02-2009, 06:57 PM

You should only need one FIA and HSV to run port-injection on your motor.

I've been doing so for a couple years on my SRT-4, with the nozzles injecting just prior to the fuel injectors.

Old 19-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Pitviper, that`s a good setup, only problem you have there is the time it takes to purge the air out of the lines after the manifold has been under vacuum. Best bet would be a checkvalve as close to the injector as you can get it (x4), but this will reduce flow sightly.

I tried similar with a single checkvalve before the split into 6 jets on mine and the vacuum would empty the lines after the valve very quickly.

If you`ve tuned around the lag problem then you probably won`t need to change anything.