waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-6 forum

Old 27-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Default HFS-6 fail safe question Subaru WRX/Sti/FXT etc.

Hi Richard, This is in regards to a 2006 Subaru WRX (not STi)

I have an HFS-6 that I am trying to figure out how to properly set up the "map-switch" fail safe on using one of the wires from the yellow harness.

What I need to do is supply a ground WHEN THE FAIL SAFE IS ACTIVATED to the test mode circuit (green connector) at the ECU.

I had this system installed several years ago using this method and it works flawlessly so I want to duplicate that install, but I have since lost all my notes (thanks hard drive crash w/o back-up).

I can't seem to recall which wire supplies ground when the fail safe is tripped.

Simply put, I need to tap into the orange wire on B135 so that when fail safe is triggered, it grounds that contact. I cannot cut/splice that wire because it would prevent me from flashing a new ROM or otherwise accessing test mode.

I am a much more conservative person when it comes to tuning, so I have ZERO problems with the fail safe triggering a CEL. If I get a fail safe condition, I want to stop and evaluate everything before resuming normal operation.

Can you please point me in the right direction on how to proceed with this? Is it the brown wire and ONLY the brown wire that needs to be connected?

Thanks.

<EDIT> SOLUTION DESCRIBED IN POST 4

Last edited by Team Scream; 28-05-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 27-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: HFS-6 brown wire fail safe question

You can do this by grounding the black wire and the brown wire to the failsafe pin.
MAKE SURE the DR is linked to DR0.
Old 27-05-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
You can do this by grounding the black wire and the brown wire to the failsafe pin.
MAKE SURE the DR is linked to DR0.
So you are saying join the black and brown together and solder them to the orange wire (test mode connector +) at the ecu? That seems like a loop will be created. The black is listed as normally closed and the brown is listed as normally open

Last edited by Team Scream; 27-05-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 28-05-2016, 03:35 AM

Default Re: HFS-6 fail safe question Subaru WRX/Sti/FXT etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Scream View Post
So you are saying join the black and brown together and solder them to the orange wire (test mode connector +) at the ecu? That seems like a loop will be created. The black is listed as normally closed and the brown is listed as normally open
Ok, Richard, you need to do whatever you can to keep Mr. Jeff Howerton happy. This guy is a true asset to your enterprise sir. For him to give me a call back on a Friday night at the beginning of a holiday weekend speaks volumes to his customer service skills. I will be a customer for life when you have guys like Jeff on your team sir.

Anyway, the correct answer to this problem is the following:

White wire to ground.
Black wire (N/O) to B135 Pin B27

B135 Pin B27 (2006 Subaru WRX) is the ONLY ORANGE wire on that connector. It is the pin on the ECU that gets grounded when you connect the green test mode connectors under the dash to flash a new map or reset the ECU.

The beauty of using that circuit as a fail safe trigger input is that it does multiple things to protect the engine in the event of a malfunction.

(1) It drops boost to wastegate pressure only.
(2) It triggers a CEL
(3) It drops timing to (IAM=.5) which basically cuts timing across the board to 1/2 of the values in the timing table(s).

For me, this is the best possible way to set up a system for total engine protection. As I sated earlier, when something goes wrong, I want to STOP everything, diagnose the problem and solve it BEFORE getting back to full power, boost and timing.

When I had this system set up in my 2006 WRX with a complete STi swap, I was making 425 AWHP and the system worked FLAWLESSLY.

Thanks.
Old 30-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:

No and No.

I made a mistake. start aqain,
black wire to ground and white wire to the failsafe pin of your equipment (green connector).

Orange wire is not used

make sure DR0 is set.
Old 30-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Quote:
Ok, Richard, you need to do whatever you can to keep Mr. Jeff Howerton happy. This guy is a true asset to your enterprise sir. For him to give me a call back on a Friday night at the beginning of a holiday weekend speaks volumes to his customer service skills. I will be a customer for life when you have guys like Jeff on your team sir.

Anyway, the correct answer to this problem is the following:

White wire to ground.
Black wire (N/O) to B135 Pin B27

B135 Pin B27 (2006 Subaru WRX) is the ONLY ORANGE wire on that connector. It is the pin on the ECU that gets grounded when you connect the green test mode connectors under the dash to flash a new map or reset the ECU.

The beauty of using that circuit as a fail safe trigger input is that it does multiple things to protect the engine in the event of a malfunction.

(1) It drops boost to wastegate pressure only.
(2) It triggers a CEL
(3) It drops timing to (IAM=.5) which basically cuts timing across the board to 1/2 of the values in the timing table(s).

For me, this is the best possible way to set up a system for total engine protection. As I sated earlier, when something goes wrong, I want to STOP everything, diagnose the problem and solve it BEFORE getting back to full power, boost and timing.

When I had this system set up in my 2006 WRX with a complete STi swap, I was making 425 AWHP and the system worked FLAWLESSLY.

Thanks.
Jeff is the only dealer who offer true technical support, I value this very much. Thanks for highlighting this on your post.

Start again:

DR= DR0
White wire to test mode
Black wire to ground

or

DR = DRO
Black wire to test mode
White wire to ground

The HFS6 does not have an orange wire.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Jeff is the only dealer who offer true technical support, I value this very much. Thanks for highlighting this on your post.

Start again:

DR= DR0
White wire to test mode
Black wire to ground

or

DR = DRO
Black wire to test mode
White wire to ground

The HFS6 does not have an orange wire.
Thank you Richard,

What is DR=DRO ? I am confused with that line.

The orange wire is not on the HFS-6 but rather is the wire on the Subaru ECU that is used to ground the green test mode connection signal the ECU receives when you plug the green test mode connectors together.

My observations indicate that when the white wire is grounded, and the system is NOT energized (power off or switch on the gauge is off) the black wire is also grounded. It is only when the system is energized and the switch on the gauge is depressed that the circuit switches open. This is a problem when first starting the car. It triggers a CEL when starting the car some times.

What I really need for this to be perfectly effective, is a circuit that is OPEN at all times UNLESS the fail safe is TRIGGERED. The only time that circuit should be closed (grounded) is when the system triggers fail safe, or the HFS-6 is switched off at the gauge.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

I think I know what the issue is. I takes a few seconds for the system to set itself up during start-up. I believe this caused the ECU to trigger.

The only solution is by using the failsafe output to drop boost rather than triggering the safe mode connector.