waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Aquamist specific system Q and A and new products > Aquamist HFS-3 forum

Old 17-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: Aquamist HFS-3 system for 2010 ..... "Q and A"

Have to altered the Failsafe delay trimmer. It may help a great deal.
Old 17-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the diagram and help Richard. And crimeboss, thanks for support. He has the system installed but just needs to do the boost selonoid wiring now. He took the car out and could tell it was spraying due to the misfires that occurred around 10psi of boost.

Is the default trigger about 42% idc and is that about right for most setups (850 injectors, 23-24 psi, 2.5 hybrid 03 wrx). Also any other settings that need to be adjusted before I pick the car up Saturday.

Thanks for any help. This stuff is a bit over my head so sorry if ?'s are very noobie.
Old 18-03-2010, 02:17 AM

ok i still need to test as there was too much traffic today. but initial thoughts looks like it is sorted.

so as advised by richard, i put the 0.9mm jet and have set the failsafe delay at full right (600ms) currently the thresh is on 2nd line and it seems to behave nicely.
Old 18-03-2010, 02:52 AM

hey guys as i get closer to figuring out the exacts for my system even though i havent contacted jeff yet to get it shipped lol (SORRY JEFF ill give you a call soon) im having some difficulty understanding some things to set up my system.

so my questions are as follows....

what is 100% DC for the hfs-3? How many miliseconds? or is there no max it just follows ecu inj DC regardless of max RPM and INJ size. I.E. the matching of % of injectant is based off the injector choosen to match correct?

reason i ask is all this talk about the inj DC start times 12-72% well how does it know or are these just random numbers put down for refrence purposes later?

i need this info as i will be running it on a 94 mazda rx-7 and being i have stagged injection i need to figure out what inj to tap off for the signal? primary or secondary unfortunatly they are not equal sizes so the inj DC will be different for them. which will determine injector size and trimming later.

also being the injector duty is different and the secondaries dont even come on till 38ish IDC i believe at which time the primaries drop IDC to match thier respective fueling % of the total IDC for that event. and then they come up linearily from there. LET ME VERIFY SOME OF THIS.

another question is the IDC or BOOST threshold? any more info on this as the hfs-3 manual states nothing really how it works. as i understand it it is ONLY for the starting threshold correct? after that it mimics IDC only not boost pressure? so if boost threshold jumper used the threshhold potentiometer would have what reference? 0-5v of the MAP? i believe this would be my best bet for threshold activation and nozzle size can be calculated on which injector i reference from easier.

may be a little much but any info please
z
Old 18-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

On the RX7, it is a problem but there are three solutions

1. Splice into the secondary rail, tracking the IDC from 25% to 100%

2. The HFS-3 can be configured to be progressive with boost on the under side of controller. (Not MPS trigger link on top). If you want to go for this option, I will post more and show you how this is done, requires the use of a soldering link), We did want to put too many things on the user manual, it only confuses people.

3. Use a "summing module" so you get the total fuel flow from idle, see link:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=626836&page=3

Here is the beast:

Old 18-03-2010, 10:39 PM

ahh nice to see now i assume used with the HFS-3 the PWM out on the SUMMER would go to the HFS-3 injector in? whats the price of this unit? would i need to order that directly from you if i went this route i didnt see it on Howerton's site.

and for the boost sensing it dosent switch to IDC after the threshold so that is pointless and might as well be an on off valve IMHO. so i will not be using that.

now ran off the secondary IDC is definatly close as i can get short of the SUMMER but i dont think i need any lower than what i can do off the secondary. i have verified that i can change the % IDC that the secondaries come on at with my PowerFC stock is at 40% IDC FYI. also once the secondaries come on line both the primaries and secondaries have the same IDC time so i believe this will work out excelent with my furute plans of swapping to the AEM PNP which can better control the IDC's for the secondary swap over.

thanks
z
Old 19-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

1. Yes, the output of the summer goes to the input of the HFS-3. It is only available directly from us at $120.00 + shipping.

2. The HFS-3 can be configred to work solely on boost, no IDC input is required. Consider MAP based signal only readd one variabe (boost). IDC signal contains the product of all sensors.

3. Even without the power FC, it is still workable on tracking the secondary injector signal. I believe the OE ramps the secondary injector from 25% DC on.

If your primary injector is 550cc x2 (1100cc) and 850cc x2 (1700cc) you total fuel is 2800cc From 25% to 100% DC on both set, your lowest WMI starting point is from 700cc/min to 2800cc/min. It is not a bad at all.

40%DC is what most of our user set the thoer WMi starting point. Unless you have huge fuel injectors.
Old 19-03-2010, 02:26 AM

1. good to hear ill keep that in mind later on down the road if needed

2. exactly the reason i want to use IDC not just BOOST and the HSF-3 just simplifies this

3. yes currently the stock injectors later upgradding to 4x 1000cc secondaries but keeping the 550 or equivilant primaries so it should work out just right. and like i said ill be dropping the secondary transition % if i need to later after testing the system on the current safe tune on straight pump.

one other question though was the potentiometer for threshold. being that everyones IDC is different pending rpm and injector size and inj cycle style (batch,sequential, semi-seq) whats the reference miliseconds for the threshold settings? i.e. 12% equals ?? miliseconds 42%, 72% equals what milisecond on time?

good info thanks

z
Old 19-03-2010, 03:36 AM

richard, pick car up Sat (03 wrx hybrid, 850 inj. anticipate 23-24 psi). My installer wired to cylinder 1 instead of 3 or 4. He says from what he checked out that that's no issue. Is this ok from your perspective? Need to know pretty soon before pick car up.

Can I dis-enable unit until I get a tune. It's now installed and working but wont get tuned for 2-3 weeks. NOt sure I want to run water and meth mixture during that time as installer (an engine builder) says that water can potentially pool and possibly cause increased compression and hurt moving parts.

Could I just turn the thess or whatever its called on the controller all the way clockwise so that it wouldn t trigger jets till like 72% idc so that I can boost some but not max?

Anyway, I know you're busy but just want to know if the link to cylinder 1 is ok and about disabling the unit or setting the scale to not trigger till high rate idc.

If you get a chance to respond I appreciate it. I know you are very busy. I will also post on the board in case others can help.

Thanks, Gerry
Old 19-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Howerton Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
richard, pick car up Sat (03 wrx hybrid, 850 inj. anticipate 23-24 psi). My installer wired to cylinder 1 instead of 3 or 4. He says from what he checked out that that's no issue. Is this ok from your perspective? Need to know pretty soon before pick car up.

Can I dis-enable unit until I get a tune. It's now installed and working but wont get tuned for 2-3 weeks. NOt sure I want to run water and meth mixture during that time as installer (an engine builder) says that water can potentially pool and possibly cause increased compression and hurt moving parts.

Could I just turn the thess or whatever its called on the controller all the way clockwise so that it wouldn t trigger jets till like 72% idc so that I can boost some but not max?

Anyway, I know you're busy but just want to know if the link to cylinder 1 is ok and about disabling the unit or setting the scale to not trigger till high rate idc.

If you get a chance to respond I appreciate it. I know you are very busy. I will also post on the board in case others can help.

Thanks, Gerry
Yes, you can either turn the IDC threshold all the way right as you suggested, or you can just turn the unit off on the gauge face as well. This will enable the failsafe unless you temporarily change a jumper on the board.

It doesn't matter what cylinder you wire the IDC signal to, unless there is something special about your car.