waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Avoiding Disaster

Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 AM

Default Potential problems using wiper fluid

I ended up stripping my greddy elbow recently when taking my nozzle and off to clean it out (which I'll post the results off in another thread) and ended up buying a bung from howerton engineering to fix it...

http://howertonengineering.net/

(They have incredibly awesome stuff there. Like the greddy of water injection)

The nozzle is situated on the elbow in a way that it almost sprays directly into the TB and while taking off my elbow I noticed something disturbing in the TB.

Now I'm guessing this is could be due to the following...

-the many miles (probaly around 2k) I've put on since I've had the kit installed
-the large amount of water/meth the HFS1 + rx7 summer puts out
-the test diagnostic mode I enabled that sprays full force when the car was off
-water/meth source I use is no good (maybe get one with less dye or mix my own or use boost juice)

Anyone have any ideas? The good part of this is that I don't think that any of the dried up dye actually goes into the engine unless a chunk of the crystallized dye breaks off and if it does, based on what I've examined, very little goes through. I think the dye crystallizes when the water/meth mist touches a super hot surface.

Anyone else experience this?

FYI, the fluid I used failed the suds test (shooked it up and I saw bubbles).

Last edited by Supernaut; 15-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Potential problems using wiper fluid

Seems like you just don't have enough flow when the system is activated. 2K is not a lot of miles. I think the spraying without flow will be your main issue. Where is your idle air bypass valve in all of this? I did a purge to make sure that the pump was running, and with the idle air bypass valve at the bottom of the throttle body, a little stayed, and got into the sensor in the 2 days I didn't drive it. $400 repair bill for that mistake, but it at least got me a rental car through the 3/11 earthquake.

Back on topic, how often do you use the diagnostic mode, and how much are you flowing?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM

If I'm spraying without flow, how come the residue is by an inlet? If there was no flow wouldn't the residue just be everywhere?

Not sure about the idle air bypass valve.

I rarely used the diag mode. Not sure how much I'm using other then the fact that I'm using a 0.7mm nozzle with an HFS1 + rx7 summer + FAV.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM

It will come to rest at the lowest point. Depending on your washer fluid, that looks like a good bit of fluid. Do you have your PCV and other oil recycling stuff blocked off? I found that the dye likes to stick to oil residue.
Old 15-09-2011, 03:14 PM

It's hard to see in the pics but the residue is surrounding an inlet. I'm sure that if the inlet was at the top, more residue will gather there. I think that the residue will rest at the lowest point but not to that great of a degree no?

I don't think the problem is with oil or any other substance. That area should be bone dry.

Either way, I'll be trying out boost juice for a while along with a homemade water/meth mixture to see what happens.
Old 17-09-2011, 01:37 AM

I am gonna guess that the bottom butterfly is your idle air bypass? The residue has no mind. If you aren't moving air, it will spray everywhere, and come to rest at the lowest point, as you can see, some at the top of the throttle area, and the rest at the bottom of the assembly. How easy is it to take off the greedy elbow, or whatever is before this piece? Might want to clean it up, and go for a normal drive, like to work or whatever, making sure that the system activates, and then when you get to a stop, or home, pull the connection, and check to see if some fluid is still in there.