waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Avoiding Disaster

Old 10-03-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Implementing boost/ignition cut

It appears the biggest drawback of WI is when the water stops flowing. I know that some of the Aquamist setups can detect an error condition, and send a signal via a wire when this happens.

Are there any engine management packages that can deal with this? I own a WRX, but if others have solved this problem for different makes/models, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:50 PM

Yes, it can be done. I have a MoTeC M4 which reads the pressure pulse signal from the 2c manifold. This input can be used as a trim for just about anything - in my case I retard timing and lower boost when the value is out of range (indicating a problem with flow).

I have a water level sensor on order as well to cut power to the pump when the water level in the reservoir gets too low.

Perhaps one of the aftermarket boost controllers might offer a similar capability - a whole new ECU is a bit overboard for this one feature.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 AM

Yes there is a WRX solution that we provide in the instructions to our customers to deal with any system faults in a timely manner by cutting boost to wastegate spring levels. The solution can be applied to any engine management system you are using provided you are not using a manual boost controller.
Old 18-03-2004, 04:12 AM

Yes you can do it. The top end Aquamist systems and all PINZ systems have an alarm output which can be used to get things under control when you run out of water or a hose pops off, etc. The alarm output could be used to operate an air solenoid valve in the wastegate line to open the wastegate or send a signal to the "aftermarket" ECU to retard the ignition and/or lower the boost.

This is essential on a water injection system, really. Detonation in a N/A engine when cornering around town in too high a gear is one thing but detonation at 7,000 rpm at 20 psi boost is a totally different matter!!!
:shock:
Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

We have developed a flow sensor that detects the water flow with a bar-graph display that will active a by-pass valve in the event of water flow falls outside a preset window.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/806-425/806-425.html

Here is and example of such a by-pass valve if the car does not have one.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 AM

The very soon to be release Element Tuning Hydra system of the WRX and STi will also have the ability to receive signal and cut boost/fuel in the event of a WI malfunction. I'll be writing up a method to do it as soon as I can implement it.

I'd like to see much more discussion of this topic. I think it's a major hurdle to more wide spread WI use.
Old 19-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

Please keep us updated.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Red face Re: Implementing boost/ignition cut

B Boy I believe you are absolutely right. I've lost count of the number of pro rolling road / dyno people who recommended I stay away from it because of reliability issues. However, I've persevered because......

I ran Aquamist WI on my ALMS Engined Turbo Jade for a whole season of Open Sportscar Series (Prototype Sportscars) racing in 2010. When it ran I noticed a significant increase in power, helping me to two wins in Brands Hatch and one win in Oulton Park.

With an M800 and full logging I was able to review what was going on and protect the engine when it failed through compensation maps. Main problem was that the system needed re-priming a lot despite a 2 gallon tank with a baffled outlet and empty/full water level gauge. It seems the braking / cornering forces interfered with the water level gauge as log data showed it activating intermittently at high G's, and, through my compensation maps, switched off the pump (I made up the maps and switch off function to stop the pump and avoid pump burn-out while at the same time activating the compensation maps to retard ignition and protect the engine).

What I think I need is some kind of flow meter which I hope will be more reliable than the gauge. It ought to be a simple matter to link it's output to a compensation map to do the same as the water level gauge - but perhaps more reliably.

I do like the system simply for the extra power I get from adding advance when it runs properly, but IT HAS TO BE RELIABLE UNDER RACE CONDITIONS.

Can anyone help......

a) With understanding why it keeps needing to be re-primed. (At many a race finish the pump is running away with no water appearing and I don't understand why.)

b) Whether there is a better solution than the one suggested above which can reliably preserve my engine in the, sadly at the moment likely, event of WI failure.

(PS - I raised this issue at the start of last season but can't find my forum questions on the forum right now).
Old 26-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Implementing boost/ignition cut

Which pump are you using? Also, do you have any pictures of the baffled tank, you may simply need better baffling as the forces in the tank may be more violent than you think.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Unhappy Re: Implementing boost/ignition cut

Not sure of the name of the pump, but I've attached a pic of it here together with one of the tank. Note the little "sump" - itself baffled in the foot of the tank.

I'm suspect some kind of flow meter is the only answer although even that won't stop the intermittent "tank empty" signals.

Any advice welcome.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...1&d=1296553380

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...1&d=1296553380
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0981.jpg (93.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0983.jpg (81.6 KB, 13 views)