waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Avoiding Disaster

Old 15-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Pump overheat protection

have read that the pumps are designed to run for a minute on / minute off in order to prevent overheating. Does anyone know of a simple and cost effective method to fail-safe against this potential problem (other than looking at the gauges and counting seconds). I appreciate it would be unlikely to have the boost high enough to engage the pump for a whole minute but on a track day for example I imagine there could be a risk of more ON time than OFF time.
Old 18-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Howerton Engineering

Default Re: Pump overheat protection

Which pump are you referring to?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM

I have heard this about the HFS-3 pump, but really not sure as it was just "car talk". Would be nice to know what is recommended by Richard though

I have been looking at using two high CFM 60mm 12v PC fans to keep the pump cool during our 40deg cel australian summers on the track.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Howerton Engineering

I've only heard of one instance of the Aquamist spec pump shutting off from heat. It was the old Shurflo and it was a race car running for a constant for 20min in 40c heat. The pump was also tucked in a rear fender cavity with little airflow.

I've run many of the newer Aquatec pumps side by side, and the Aquamist spec runs much cooler and at a lower amp draw than the others. So in that case, it's better than most.

In the feedback I've gotten from the track guys, high ambient and lack of circulation seem to be the triggers to the pump running overly hot. 20 minutes at 70-80F hasn't been an issue.

Richard should be back in the office shortly and he can add his input.