waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Three point injection on a 1.9 diesel

Richard Assures me this will work, so I'm just cutting and pasting with my fingers crossed

This as you can see is my injection point, just prior to the inlet manifold. Further away would be preferable but due to ease of access and an existing easily replaced pipe setup, I chose to do it there.

I'm injecting with two 0.7mm nozzles and one 0.5mm Nozzle at present. The Pump is a 125PSI 2ltr/min with no stop valves because I have a solenoid.

In addition, there are three 0.3MM 3 scroll nozzles spraying onto the intercooler with two stop valves to reduce pressure to them by 30psi.

Injection is controlled by an MF2 based on rpm and pressure. Injection begins at around 11.5 psi (.8 kg/cm2) and max pressure (unless I get an overboost spike of upto 30psi (2.1 kg/cm2) :-O ) is 24psi (1.7kg/cm2).

By my reconing, That means a max flow rate of 0.866-0.928 ltr/min for manifold pressures of 10-25psi. With an additional 0.174 ltr/min onto the intercooler.

This would give me only 9 minutes continuous use and is why I have a microswitch on the accelerator. I intend to goto Santa Pod at some point this year and try noto blow my car up this time (I've been many times and that only happened once to be fair). I think I shall have it on constantly there and take alot of Methanol with me
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Three point injection on a 1.9 diesel

Boo Hoo, no pictures

Richard, Richard, help!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Richard L2

Sorry, I forgot to use lower case on the .JPG. Edited now.
Old 13-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Why so many nozzles?
Old 14-03-2010, 12:32 AM

To get more fluid in mainly but also to get as homogeneous a mixture as possible. With just one nozzel so close to the inlet manifold, there isn't alot of time for the mist to mix and evaporate into the intake air. I'm going to change the 0.5mm for a 1.0mm nozzel next week and possibly replace the two 0.7mm nozzels with the same. That should give me a flow of 1.431 ltr to 1.365 ltr per minute depending on boost pressure.

I've been doing some research and experiments and was interested to find that although methanol releases less energy per unit of volume, you can burn methanol completely with less than half as much air. So I could burn completely, more than twice as much methanol as diesel with the same amount of air. I would like to find out the flame rates of diesel and methanol.

I ran my car using my performance box to measure acceleration and estimate power using two setups:
1) low setting on my tuning box
2) low setting on tuning box + water/methanol injection (approx 50:50)
The results suggested approximatly 8% more power with the injection running and it was smokeless from my drivers seat looking in the mirror.

I'm going to increase the volume of fluid injected and the proportion of methanol until I reach a peak power output with no or minimal smoke.

Last edited by nutron; 14-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 14-03-2010, 11:46 AM

Just remember that going over 50% meth to water is getting risky (in a diesel), due to predetonation.
Old 15-03-2010, 07:22 PM

No, Methanol will not predetonate. The auto ignition point of methanol is higher than that of diesel, the methanol is ignited by the diesel. Without the diesel igniting, the methanol would never burn in my engine.

The only dangers with methanol are the increased burn temp, 1200 Deg C to diesels 800 Deg C. This is the only good reason for adding the water to the mix, and at 70% methanol I get slightly lower exhaust gas temps than with just extra diesel. So as long as I keep the ratio below 70% methanol it will be no worse than a remap or tuning box.