waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 14-12-2012, 10:07 PM

Default HFS-3 install Opel Astra OPC

I'll let the pics do the talking )))

The car itself (also sold as Vauxhall Astra VXR in UK).

The engine (2.0lt turbo, very similar to the one found decades ago on the Calibras and Vectra A)

Installation in process...

Tank behind the front bumper (right side)

Filling spout in the engine bay (behind the right headlamp)

Pump behind the front bumper (left side)

FAV in the engine bay (behind the left headlamp)

Pump relay in the engine bay (left side, closer to the firewall)

All wiring to ECU (injector, BCS) in the cable tray behind the rocker cover. All wires are behind the OEM plastic cover (taken off in the pic below).

HFS-3 controller in the cabin, below the glove box, covered with an OEM plastic cover from below (plastic cover taken off in the pic).

No good pic of the gauge unfortunately, will add later.

A couple of pics of the first fill-up (used some vodka for the start - it's Russia, you know).

Now, to the results. For me the reason for using WMI was an extremely aggressive map I had, too lean in the midrange and hence causing knock, ignition retard by ECU (as a protection mechanism, stable 9-12 degrees compared to base ignition angle) and eventually EGT over the roof (more than 1000C easily). With vodka (40% ethanol, 60% water) the knock didn't go completely and the peak ignition retard was not much lower, but the retards went rather sporadic, i.e. peak retards of 9-12 degrees are still in place but no prolonged retards under load. I suspect it may be also due to knock sensor hearing the noise from the exhaust or other tuned engine components - but will sure further play with the w/m concentration and HFS-3 setups.

The important part is that with retards now being only sporadic my EGT went normal which finally made it possible for me to put the car on a rolling road.

EGT after the RR session
Old 15-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Manufacturer sponsor

Default Re: HFS-3 install Opel Astra OPC

Very nice install indeed.

I noticed the pump is in the engine bay. Can you put some sealant on the pump's cable gland. If water dribbles in, the pump will die very quickly.

Has the turbo been changed? Quite a bit of power than standard.

Volka, that is very amusing for the bystanders.
Old 15-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Thanks Richard...

The pump wires have been sealed - thanks to your advice when I was still deciding how to place the system components.

The turbo is still stock K04-based unit, I think with the current setup I basically squeezed all the juice out of it )))

On the RR my boost was a bit on the low side for some reason (1,35 bar as per chart below - the RR operator said the sensor calibration was off a bit ant 0,07 bar should be added to the chart), normally I get 1,5 bar peak boost, but it's only in the midrange - upper the rev range it's the turbo flow capacity that limits the boost already. So, bottom line, I possibly have higher torque in the midrange with the current setup actually, but the max power figure is as per chart above, and there is hardly any chance to further increase it without changing the turbo (or maybe spraying w/m on the compressor wheel ))).

My AFR is already pretty lean, and my ignition angle is at the knock edge already under load (with WMI - but I still have to test it with higher meth concentration) so no power gain reserves here I think. The car is also a daily driver, used every day year round, and the fuel quality in Russia is still far from the EU/UK standards...
Old 19-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Manufacturer sponsor

I can't remember if I have asked this question before. Is your furling system direct injection?
Old 20-12-2012, 07:40 PM

No, I'm lucky to have a good old normal injection system )))
Old 21-12-2012, 08:08 AM

I'll take one, please ship it to Georgetown Texas. Such a nice looking car, and your mods look very clean
Old 25-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks! )))
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Meth pump did not survive the Moscow winter well... Will have to think of some extensive water-proofing for the new pump...

Last edited by leman_opc; 05-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.