waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Other > Gallery - NEW

Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 AM

Default Homemade water injection system,,,,

Hey guys,

I thought i would share my latest water injection system. It is installed on a 1989 Ford Mustang. The car is turbocharged, and has an air/air front mount innercooler. I use the water to run the car on 91 pump gas, and about 14psi of boost. Here is a short list of what i used:

-Shurflo water pump
-NC water solonoid
-small inline filter
-Nitrous nozzle, .040" jet
-Aluminum reservoir
-Hobbs switch set to 6psi

I have the nozzle installed directly into the neck of the intake manifold. Its braided steel line with the blue Nozzle end:

It is plumbed through a NC water solonoid. shown here:

The water solonoid is wired through a Hobbs switch, set to come on @ 6psi:

I have the tank and pump mounted in my cowl area. Makes it nice and neat, and easy to fill the aluminum container:

I use an Omega temp reader to log the manifold temp. It uses a Ktype therm probe. I am still messing with jet sizes, but so far here are my test numbers:

Runs made with no water - 95*F+ on test day
-10psi of boost - intake 125*F
-12psi of boost - intake 135*F
-14psi of boost - intake 150*F+

Runs made with water on - * Same Day *
-10psi of boost - intake 103*F
-12psi of boost - intake 105*F
-14psi of boost - intake 108*F

I still have room for more water, as the car does not bog at all. I am still testing and logging. I have been logging the effect of water on a/f ratio, and have come up with some good data i think. Also the effect of timing vs water vs a/f. When i have finished gathering it all, i will post the results.

Open for discussion....?
Old 13-06-2006, 02:21 AM

Simple set up!
What is the main reason for WI, knock suppression or intake temp reduction?
Old 13-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Can you use meth with an ally tank ? :?
Old 13-06-2006, 10:44 PM

I use it for knock...We have 91 octane out here in PHX, AZ, USA, and its hot as hell...! I run pump gas only in this car, so it is a challenge! I have went 10.41 @ 131 with this simple combo....

Not sure about Meth and aluminum...? But i know this pump and water solonoid are for water only....

Even with the lowered temps, and water molecules in the cylinder, i can still get detonation with too much timing. So i am trying to adjust the water, so i can run 0 timing retard, on pump gas....

Oh yeah, this pump flows @ 45psi, wich creates a non-mist. I have read on here that you can't do that. Well mine seems to work just fine. Its prolly not as effective as it could be with full atomization, but it gets the job done....

Any other opinions?
Old 13-06-2006, 10:57 PM

You have a big area for improvements. First of all you need progressive water delivery which feed water proportional to fuel flow. Than you also need to make sure all cylinders do get same amount of water (this usually caused by shape of intake trackt). You will need to play with you?re A/F mix to get best possible power with WI. I guess this would be the start?.
:smile:
Old 15-06-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAOD
I use it for knock...We have 91 octane out here in PHX, AZ, USA, and its hot as hell...! I run pump gas only in this car, so it is a challenge! I have went 10.41 @ 131 with this simple combo....

Not sure about Meth and aluminum...? But i know this pump and water solonoid are for water only....

Even with the lowered temps, and water molecules in the cylinder, i can still get detonation with too much timing. So i am trying to adjust the water, so i can run 0 timing retard, on pump gas....

Oh yeah, this pump flows @ 45psi, wich creates a non-mist. I have read on here that you can't do that. Well mine seems to work just fine. Its prolly not as effective as it could be with full atomization, but it gets the job done....

Any other opinions?
10.41 @ 131 on 91 pump is damn impressive! I've always liked the turbo'd 5.0 Mustangs. You guys are putting up some mind-boggling horsepower and E.T. numbers. Kudos!

If mixed with ~50% water, methanol is perfectly fine to run with aluminum components. The water cuts the corosivity of the methanol. That, or you can run some upper cylinder lube in with straight methanol.

As for your timing and detonation, how aggressive are the timing maps in the stock ECU? They're probably not going to be too "turbo-friendly" being that they were designed for an N/A engine. Do you Ford guys have any way to manipulate the stock fuel & timing maps in the ECU?

As for the pump, I'm going to have to echo everyone else. I'd suggest nothing less than the 60 psi Shurflo pump, and the 100 psi pump if you have a choice. I ran the 60 psi pump on a Galant VR-4 and currently have the 100 psi pump in my Talon. When it eventually goes to the big parts bin in the sky I'm going to bump it up to the 150 psi pump and downgrade nozzles accordingly. And that NOS nozzle is definitely not helping matters any either. They were designed to be ran at ~900 psi, not the 45 psi that you're at. I've got to imagine that the atomization is horrible.

But then again, I'm not the one running 10.41 on 91 octane pump piss! :lol:
Old 16-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Simple- I completey understand what i need. Its all about $$$. I have about $8k TOTAL in this car. Thats counting the cost of the vehicle. Im all about budget Y0!....LOL I also realize that with the water not atomizing, it is likely not delivering equal amounts of water to each cylinder. Although i am injecting the water into the neck of the intake, so from that thought, its gotta be disstributed evenly somewhat....I also have logged the a/f with the water on and off, also watching the a/f with timing and water. I have some intersteing results to post as soon as i can....

NAnderson- The timing maps in the ECU are for 26* total. I run a BTM and pull timing under boost. With the water i can run the BTM at 1/2, wich comes out to about 19* total on 91 octane. I have a chip, but only use it for the fuel maps. The stock computer doesnt understand load, ect. It tunes the fule off of either throttle position, or rpm. Neither of wich work very well on a turbo car. Again, its all about $$$....

Can you guys show me where to find the 100psi Shurflo? I searched their site, but had no luck. The atomization is horrible. But i cant watch it when 15psi from a 70mm turbo is at full song. I got to imagine that its atomized almost instantly at that point.....?

Opinions?
Old 16-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAOD
NAnderson- The timing maps in the ECU are for 26* total. I run a BTM and pull timing under boost. With the water i can run the BTM at 1/2, wich comes out to about 19* total on 91 octane. I have a chip, but only use it for the fuel maps. The stock computer doesnt understand load, ect. It tunes the fule off of either throttle position, or rpm. Neither of wich work very well on a turbo car. Again, its all about $$$....

Can you guys show me where to find the 100psi Shurflo? I searched their site, but had no luck. The atomization is horrible. But i cant watch it when 15psi from a 70mm turbo is at full song. I got to imagine that its atomized almost instantly at that point.....?
Pulling timing back to 19* total is definitely a lot more turbo-friendly. 26* on the top end would definitely get a bit dicey! :shock:

Here's a supplier for the 60-150 psi Shurflo pumps:
http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.c...ragm-pump.html

Coolingmist also puts out their own iteration of the 150 psi Shurflo pump:
http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...id=Cool150Pump

And as for the nozzles, I'd suggest some Aquamist nozzles *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*, Hago "M" series nozzles (used in a lot of pre-built kits), or Bete PJ fogging nozzles. All will give you excellent atomization at 60-150 psi.
Old 17-06-2006, 12:51 AM

Thanks Nathan....

FWIW, I used to run 40* total with the ditributor locked on my last Strim stang. 19psi and good gas with water...Lasted about 2 years of beating the piss out of it.... LOL But i did put holes in several pistons....LOL

Thanks again,
Old 17-06-2006, 12:55 AM

Sorry guys i did it again....I wonder why my computer doesnt log me in atomatically?...

Thanks Nathan....

FWIW, I used to run 40* total with the ditributor locked on my last Strim stang. 19psi and good gas with water...Lasted about 2 years of beating the piss out of it.... LOL But i did put holes in several pistons....LOL

Thanks again,

....Looks like i want the Pump at the bottom of the page, its the only one listed as 150psi....Sucks too because i paid $90 for this 45psi, and that other high pressure one is $132! Damn....The other place has their own for $80? Is this place legit? LOL

Here's some pics of the car: