waterinjection.info  

Go Back   waterinjection.info > Injection Theory (what it is and what it does) > Injection Mixtures

Old 26-11-2003, 06:25 PM

I'd probably use methanol if I could get it cheaper locally somewhere - I just don't know where. I don't really want to pay $45 for a 5 gallon via mail order.

As long as isopropyl burns better than water :wink: Plus it seems its much safer to handle than methanol.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 AM

Default alcohol sources

You should be able to buy either methanol or fuel grade ethanol at local race fuel suppliers. Also many RC cars and model aircraft use methanol fuels, and you should be able to source fuel alcohol from them.

Where I live both Methanol and Ethanol fuel alcohols are available in bulk or by the gallon at about $2.00 /gal.

Larry
Old 08-02-2004, 05:58 AM

Ok this may sound strange or maybe someone has asked this already but.....is it possible to use White RUM as a mixture when injecting water with the aquamist system? ops:

please don't laugh either yes or no ..! with an explaination! :lol:
Hugh Gordon
Old 08-02-2004, 01:35 PM

Default not a good idea

Not a good idea. White rum or any of the pure spirits are ethanol alcohol at 180 proof, that means they are 90% alcohol and 10% water.

If you have an aquamist, ethanol is not acceptable. If you have an ethanol safe system you built, it would work, but unless you work for a bootlegger it would not be cost effective. You can get pure fuel grade alcohols for much less money. I have no idea what trace contaminates are included in spirits like Vodka, or white rum, but I would only consider it as an "emergency" measure.

No officer, I'm not drinking, I put this in the engine ---

Yeah sure buddy, turn around and put your hands behind your back !
:shock:

Larry
Old 08-02-2004, 02:02 PM

Hotrod.. thanks for your comments and your humour
i always wondered why i don't see people talking about using white rum or such....but tey do tlak about it, ijust didn't know of the ethonol base!

well i'll just stick to my water and rubbing alcohol mix!
Hugh Gordon
Old 02-03-2004, 03:36 PM

Default what to add

I am puting the 2d system on my car but I am a little confused about what I can add to the water and at what percent foe both knock suppretion and to pull some fuel out?Can someone please help me!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Re: alcohol sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod
You should be able to buy either methanol or fuel grade ethanol at local race fuel suppliers. Also many RC cars and model aircraft use methanol fuels, and you should be able to source fuel alcohol from them.

Where I live both Methanol and Ethanol fuel alcohols are available in bulk or by the gallon at about $2.00 /gal.

Larry
What about the nitromethane additives that are found in some RC fuels? Is nitromethane ok to inject?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:13 AM

Does Ispropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alch) also effectively act as a 'fuel' to richen up your AFRs like methanol does?

Methanol's downright impossible to find here in Hawaii. Even every windshield washer fluid (not the most ideal method) sold here is some sort of 'summer formula' that contains no methanol. :roll: ......
Old 09-03-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Yes

Yes Isopropyl acohol will work fine as a fuel. However note that it has significantly less ability to absorb heat during vaporization, and the proper fuel air, water injection amounts will be different with isopropyl acohol than on methanol or ethanol. In WWII Pratt and Whittney engine tests they discovered that the calibration for the ADI system would not work properly with isopropyl but was acceptable with both methanol and ethanol. This was traced to the lower limit of flamability limits of the respective alcohols. At the typical 50/50 mix used during the war, the isopropyl alcohol was acting more like a fuel (engine running rich) than it was a fuel air coolant.

UPDATED 5/13/04 old numbers had errors

The major differences in the alcohols has to do with their contained oxygen and the latent heats of evaporation.

Methanol -- Oxygen content 49.9% by wt, latent heat of vaporization 1099.45 KJ/Kg . K = 262.6 BTU/lb . F
Ethanol ----- Oxygen content 34.7% by wt, latent heat of vaporization 854.62 KJ/kg . K = 204.1 BTU/lb . F

Isopropyl --C3H8O--- Oxygen content 26.66% by wt, latent heat of vaporization 666.7 KJ/kg . K = 159.24 BTU/lb . F

Larry
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 PM

Great info, thanks Larry!